Eneloop C/D cells?

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://sanyo.com/news/2008/08/08-2.html

Rated Capacity (min.)
D cell: 5700 mAh
C cell: 3000 mAh

What do you guys think? Should I stick with the pretty white battery that can? Just buy the smart-charger? (Apparently, despite the smaller cells being in banks of two, they're each on their own channel, with a total of 12 for the charger - 4 C/D, and 8 AA/AAA)

I'm kinda tempted to build a 6D ROP, if I can still find the Mag Baton.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
well the capacity isnt really great, and the Accupower (evolution) are still working Very good that i have had for a long time now.

SANYO provides an increase in capacity and longer power supply for C- and D-sized eneloop of 1.6 times and 3 times

well tell them Whooptidydoo for me :) because that doesnt cut it. i am sure they will be really robust, and great for HIGH power stuff being built like that, but i would prefer more total capacity.

the charger is nice lookin, but they have not been know for selling the smartest chargers in the world, more like the simple ones, to get by on, they work ok and specially for thier battery, but not nessiarily everything a person could have, and not nessisarily doing everything a charger could do, like say a discharge , which is important to me.

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
I also concur, skip the eneloop branding on C and D size and go with an alternative LSD C and D cell like the accupower. 4.5AH and 10AH respectively IIRC.

The only reason I can think that Sanyo made those cells with so much lower capacity than would be possible and ideal, would be to make the cells compatible with a cheaper charger while at the same time reducing the cost of manufacturing the cells themselves.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's great news! Where can you purchase these new Eneloops? Thanks!!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
SANYO provides an increase in capacity and longer power supply for C- and D-sized eneloop of 1.6 times and 3 times
well tell them Whooptidydoo for me :) because that doesnt cut it. i am sure they will be really robust, and great for HIGH power stuff being built like that, but i would prefer more total capacity..

Isn't it interesting that:
  • Eneloop C : 1.6 times Eneloop AA capacity which also equals 4 x Eneloop AAA (minimum specified capacity, read thread below) and
  • Eneloop D : capacity equals 3 x Eneloop AA (minimum specificed capacity, ditto)?
At least the Accupower are honest-to-goodness real cells, not some (suspected) agglomeration of smaller cells:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2591128#post2591128
Post #70 & onward gets to the heart of the matter.

BTW Accupower C's were tested here and found to be good performers:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/187271

Good luck,

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
I highly doubt there are multiple cells within those cans to makeup a parallel combination of cells that equal some capacity, that would make for a really poor performer in the long haul as NIMH cells don't balance in parallel worth a darn.