PK Design Lab
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Toughest survival flashlight

Default Toughest survival flashlight

Hi All:

I have been researching a few threads posted on emergency lights but I have a speceific question that could use some advice. I am looking for suggestions on a tough as nails flashlight that can handle a lot.

I want a light that satisfies two requirements: 1) Incredible run time 2) A tactical light that's insanely tough. If I want to use it as a hammer, I could. Basically reliability is a priority.

I hike a lot and often camp out alone. In the odd event, I can't make it back to my starting point-I want to be sure I have light for a long time. I also want it to be able to handle tough weather, use, drops etc..

I appreciate everyone's input and value it just as much. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Toughest survival flashlight

TK20 is close, if you are satisfied with the runtime in low (11 hours). It is definitely tough as nails.

Ra Clicky or the Ra Twisty!
    -Goatee

I dropped my Leef/Malkoff M60 from the roof. It landed pretty hard, with evidence to prove this. All keeps working.

Quote Originally Posted by seanflash View Post
    I have been researching a few threads posted on emergency lights but I have a speceific question that could use some advice. I am looking for suggestions on a tough as nails flashlight that can handle a lot.

I want a light that satisfies two requirements: 1) Incredible run time 2) A tactical light that's insanely tough. If I want to use it as a hammer, I could. Basically reliability is a priority.
    SureFire 6PL Defender.

Interesting, thought-provoking question.

Tell me . . . .

Is "water-proof" one of your requirements ?

Ability to withstand being submerged,

or even being used while submerged ?

Okay_ I should point out what I need it for. Perhaps a mock-worst case scenario would better define what I need: Critical ejection from my fighter at 20K feet. Landing (safely I'd hope) in unfriendly territory with my survival sack and this flashlight. What would I need at my side? The military provides us with an okay led light, but I need something damned tough that I could count on for days if need be. I'd like something that I could also use to whack bad guys with ...or tree stakes for my tent-whichever comes first. Surely the best minds on this forum could come together to recommend one better than my government grade one.
    Thank you to all for your help. Regards.

Flashaholic

Considering this light will be used in pretty crucial situations, I feel that you should first single out the part which is most prone to malfunction. That is the clicky switch, why take the risk right?

Definitely get a twisty light, but since you want something big enough to hit people and tent stakes, not sure if there is a twisty light big enough for that.

I think most people will come up with different answer because that is the flashlight they own.

Most quality flashlights are tough and durable, but only few have proven reliability, Fenix T series is one of them. You can do a search in youtube, there are plenty videos showing the Fenix T1 in several torture test.

You want the Surefire E2L. Tough, slim, lightweight, proven. Powerful 60 lumen high spot for 4-5 hours and a decent low at 3 lumens with usable light for 100 hours. Fenix E01 1xAAA for backup.

Surefire E2DL - (manufacturer rated 76 hours on low)
    Inova T2 (125 lumens 4 hours)
    For these 2, you don't hammer to test, you use tanks, specifically Abrams

My 2˘. I'm sure there're more that fit these 2 criteria, example Gerber Infinity Ultra etc.

Good tight 2-3 cell P60 host with a Malkoff M60l. 4.5 hours of full brightness then a few hours of decent brightness and another few hours of usable brightness.

I think my overall most bomb proof light is the Surefire G2Z with P60L LED drop in but I really want to get a M60LL drop in for better regulated runtimes. Still there is just one mode so the requirement for incredible runtimes might not be met. But my G2Z has been around the woods and never failed so guessing the tough as nails part might be covered.

Okay_ I should point out what I need it for. Perhaps a mock-worst case scenario would better define what I need: Critical ejection from my fighter at 20K feet. Landing (safely I'd hope) in unfriendly territory with my survival sack and this flashlight. What would I need at my side? The military provides us with an okay led light, but I need something damned tough that I could count on for days if need be. I'd like something that I could also use to whack bad guys with ...or tree stakes for my tent-whichever comes first. Surely the best minds on this forum could come together to recommend one better than my government grade one.
    Thank you to all for your help. Regards.
    Ok, what light did the government issue you? Let's start from there.

Do you want 1 or 2 cells?

whoa , tail clicky is out then , as it would deff be a weak point .

I think your looking at a custom Maglite . Deff can use the tailcap of a maglite to hammer tent pegs etc .

tough ask there , maybe you need a survival knife for hammering or striking .

??? Dont they issue K-Bars for that stuff .

Only flashlight Id consider is a 2D Custom maglite , multi level driver and some 10,000mAh Batts , aaaaw heck , even a 2D Maglite with Terralux and 2 x D 10,000 mAh batts .. Top of the line D's may go 14,000mAh .

My oldest Mag is nearly 20 years old :

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Walker View Post
    I think my overall most bomb proof light is the Surefire G2Z with P60L LED drop in but I really want to get a M60LL drop in for better regulated runtimes. Still there is just one mode so the requirement for incredible runtimes might not be met. But my G2Z has been around the woods and never failed so guessing the tough as nails part might be covered.
    +1

I was thinking a G2L host with an M60LL.

I would also trust my Ra Twisty or a Surefire L1.

I would be inclined to avoid clickies.
    ...as for me, when you want a good laugh, you will find me, in a fine state, fat and flourishing, a true hog of Epicurus' herd...
    Running Collection List
    HERE

Quote Originally Posted by :)> View Post
    Ra Clicky or the Ra Twisty!
    +1 for the Ra Clicky or Twisty!!!

Formerly d1live
    Flashaholic

Olight Warrior, any version, super long run times and theirs not a better built light, that Ive seen. Plus it will run 150 hours on low with one battery (18650) , double o-ring sealed with a holster that allows you to carry 2 more 18650 batteries, you could die of starvation long before your light would run out lol.

Where in this state are you?
    I'm in Huntington.

+2 For a Ra Twisty. It has the long runtime requirement covered and is tougher than anything else out there which I'm aware of.
    Neutral white, it's the new black.

Formerly d1live
    Flashaholic

Hello, I am just North of Charleston off I77, a place called Goldtown in Jackson County, good to see a few West Virginians in here, great forum with alot of really nice and very helpful people. Go Errs, opps - I root for the Herd too, when they are not playing WVU lol.

Ra and Surefire are your best bets.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Flashaholic*

Since this is the LED forum, I'd say Surefire L5, G2L, something like that.
    ampdude

That's great to hear! I hope to see you on here in the future.

Spread the WV point of view!

You need anything or have questions just PM me anytime.

Another vote for the Ra Clicky or Twisty! The Twisty is hands down the toughest light known to man. With that said, I am sure the Clicky would take any and all the abuse you could possibly throw at it in that type of situation.

The Ra's are well known for their bomb-proof construction, and the Twisty is the toughest since it has no switch to possibly fail.
    EDC: Ra Clicky 100WWCn/ Muyshondt Aeon
    Other Favorites: Surefire LX2/Eagletac M2XC4/ DBS V2 1S-R2, MC-E

Fenix TA30.

should send this one to mythbusters ...

Let them smack some lights around to see what happens ..

They can afford it !

I would stay away from the SF lights (with the possible exception of te e2dl...not sure about water tight ness) because they have been proven in various threads to not be all that watertight. I would also want a long low level.

The Fenix TA30 might fit in these regards...but it looks like a Big light...will know tomorrow when I get mine. I like the TK20 on lithiums...but if you have 2 sets...thats only 26 hours on low.

The RA lights look tough as nails...and should not take a lot of space. They would most likely be my first choice.
    "I only smile in the dark...my only comfort is the night gone black..."lyrics from Garbage

From the Ra website:

This production Ra Twisty was dropped repeatedly from a height exceeding 6 meters (20 feet) on to concrete, pavement and rocks. After 20 drops, the light was repeatedly thrown at concrete, pavement and rocks. The light still functions normally. The glass lens did not break even with this severe punishment. Can your flashlight survive this kind of treatment?
    I got nothing else to say...