Toughest survival flashlight

seanflash

Newly Enlightened
Hi All:

I have been researching a few threads posted on emergency lights but I have a speceific question that could use some advice. I am looking for suggestions on a tough as nails flashlight that can handle a lot.

I want a light that satisfies two requirements: 1) Incredible run time 2) A tactical light that's insanely tough. If I want to use it as a hammer, I could. Basically reliability is a priority.

I hike a lot and often camp out alone. In the odd event, I can't make it back to my starting point-I want to be sure I have light for a long time. I also want it to be able to handle tough weather, use, drops etc..

I appreciate everyone's input and value it just as much. Thanks in advance.

Marduke

Flashaholic
TK20 is close, if you are satisfied with the runtime in low (11 hours). It is definitely tough as nails.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dropped my Leef/Malkoff M60 from the roof. It landed pretty hard, with evidence to prove this. All keeps working.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I have been researching a few threads posted on emergency lights but I have a speceific question that could use some advice. I am looking for suggestions on a tough as nails flashlight that can handle a lot.

I want a light that satisfies two requirements: 1) Incredible run time 2) A tactical light that's insanely tough. If I want to use it as a hammer, I could. Basically reliability is a priority.

SureFire 6PL Defender. :grin2:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Interesting, thought-provoking question.

Tell me . . . .

Is "water-proof" one of your requirements ?

Ability to withstand being submerged,

or even being used while submerged ?

seanflash

Newly Enlightened
Okay_ I should point out what I need it for. Perhaps a mock-worst case scenario would better define what I need: Critical ejection from my fighter at 20K feet. Landing (safely I'd hope) in unfriendly territory with my survival sack and this flashlight. What would I need at my side? The military provides us with an okay led light, but I need something damned tough that I could count on for days if need be. I'd like something that I could also use to whack bad guys with ...or tree stakes for my tent-whichever comes first. Surely the best minds on this forum could come together to recommend one better than my government grade one.
Thank you to all for your help. Regards.

Splunk_Au

Enlightened
Considering this light will be used in pretty crucial situations, I feel that you should first single out the part which is most prone to malfunction. That is the clicky switch, why take the risk right?

Definitely get a twisty light, but since you want something big enough to hit people and tent stakes, not sure if there is a twisty light big enough for that.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think most people will come up with different answer because that is the flashlight they own.

Most quality flashlights are tough and durable, but only few have proven reliability, Fenix T series is one of them. You can do a search in youtube, there are plenty videos showing the Fenix T1 in several torture test.

youreacrab

Enlightened
You want the Surefire E2L. Tough, slim, lightweight, proven. Powerful 60 lumen high spot for 4-5 hours and a decent low at 3 lumens with usable light for 100 hours. Fenix E01 1xAAA for backup.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

Surefire E2DL - (manufacturer rated 76 hours on low)
Inova T2 (125 lumens 4 hours)
For these 2, you don't hammer to test, you use tanks, specifically Abrams :naughty:

My 2¢. I'm sure there're more that fit these 2 criteria, example Gerber Infinity Ultra etc.

Forgetful

Newly Enlightened
Good tight 2-3 cell P60 host with a Malkoff M60l. 4.5 hours of full brightness then a few hours of decent brightness and another few hours of usable brightness.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I think my overall most bomb proof light is the Surefire G2Z with P60L LED drop in but I really want to get a M60LL drop in for better regulated runtimes. Still there is just one mode so the requirement for incredible runtimes might not be met. But my G2Z has been around the woods and never failed so guessing the tough as nails part might be covered.

Dan FO

Enlightened
Okay_ I should point out what I need it for. Perhaps a mock-worst case scenario would better define what I need: Critical ejection from my fighter at 20K feet. Landing (safely I'd hope) in unfriendly territory with my survival sack and this flashlight. What would I need at my side? The military provides us with an okay led light, but I need something damned tough that I could count on for days if need be. I'd like something that I could also use to whack bad guys with ...or tree stakes for my tent-whichever comes first. Surely the best minds on this forum could come together to recommend one better than my government grade one.
Thank you to all for your help. Regards.

Ok, what light did the government issue you? Let's start from there.

Do you want 1 or 2 cells?

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
whoa , tail clicky is out then , as it would deff be a weak point .

I think your looking at a custom Maglite . Deff can use the tailcap of a maglite to hammer tent pegs etc .

tough ask there , maybe you need a survival knife for hammering or striking .

??? Dont they issue K-Bars for that stuff .

Only flashlight Id consider is a 2D Custom maglite , multi level driver and some 10,000mAh Batts , aaaaw heck , even a 2D Maglite with Terralux and 2 x D 10,000 mAh batts .. Top of the line D's may go 14,000mAh .

My oldest Mag is nearly 20 years old :

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think my overall most bomb proof light is the Surefire G2Z with P60L LED drop in but I really want to get a M60LL drop in for better regulated runtimes. Still there is just one mode so the requirement for incredible runtimes might not be met. But my G2Z has been around the woods and never failed so guessing the tough as nails part might be covered.

+1

I was thinking a G2L host with an M60LL.

I would also trust my Ra Twisty or a Surefire L1.

I would be inclined to avoid clickies.

FlashlightsNgear.com

→Formerly d1live←, Flashaholic
Olight Warrior, any version, super long run times and theirs not a better built light, that Ive seen. Plus it will run 150 hours on low with one battery (18650) , double o-ring sealed with a holster that allows you to carry 2 more 18650 batteries, you could die of starvation long before your light would run out lol.