Maxpedition - Active Shooter Bag 3
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lacrosse BC-9009 versus BC-900: What differences, if any?

Default Lacrosse BC-9009 versus BC-900: What differences, if any?

Hello,

I've been trying to figure out what differences, if any, there are, between the "new" Lacrosse BC-9009 model, versus their current, around 2-3 year old model BC-900?

I cannot see any differences, besides the color of the plastic exterior.

Anyone knows of differences? Thx!

Default Re: Lacrosse BC-9009 versus BC-900: What differences, if any?

I looked at this yesterday, and also can't see a difference apart from colour.
    tabetha

from another forum I found this
    http://www.minizracer.com/forums/sho...832#post342832

LA CROSSE TECHNOLOGY SUPPORT INFORMATION

Dear XXX,

Model Number: BC900 Charger

Please Refer to case number XXXXX in all future correspondence.

The only difference between the BC900 and the BC9009 is the color of the units.

Regards,

Michelle

Technical Support Representative
    LaCrosse Technology
    2817 Losey Boulevard S
    LaCrosse, WI 54601
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Thx for the info, LynxArc. However, i've called Lacrosse and, sorry to say, i found some of the folks who answered their calls to be uneducated in their own products.

One employee told me that the BC-700 is their follow up, later model, to the BC-900. I told her no, i do not believe so. I asked her to kindly double check, she sighed, returned and said that she's correct.

I'm uncertain as to whether or not that it is really true that the BC-9009 is merely a color difference. To have a new SKU for a product is an additional hassle for a company - especially when there's no real need for a new SKU. Unless they ran out of the blue dye they used for the blue plastic for their BC-900, changing the SKU is just going to add work for the warehouse and inventory system.

Somehow, i get the gut feeling that the manufacturer (in Asia) made some changes and they have not yet been fully communicated to Lacrosse in the US yet.

This is merely a speculation. I was hoping that the good, highly knowledgeable folks here might know something about this.

The BC-700 is a newer model than the BC-900. It's newer, but cheaper and simpler, and it has lower charging current.

Quote Originally Posted by DualMonitors View Post
    Thx for the info, LynxArc. However, i've called Lacrosse and, sorry to say, i found some of the folks who answered their calls to be uneducated in their own products.

One employee told me that the BC-700 is their follow up, later model, to the BC-900. I told her no, i do not believe so. I asked her to kindly double check, she sighed, returned and said that she's correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by mighty82 View Post
    The BC-700 is a newer model than the BC-900. It's newer, but cheaper and simpler, and it has lower charging current.
    I believe the BC-700 was a later model, release with a lower current as a stopgap measure against the cases of melting BC-900's. Now that the BC-900 is fixed, the BC-700 is kinda of a odd duck, with no real place. I believe they are phasing it out.

I was told by my bud tonight that the lacrosse/technoline were of german manufacture, how true I don't know ?
    tabetha

Quote Originally Posted by Marduke View Post
    I believe the BC-700 was a later model, release with a lower current as a stopgap measure against the cases of melting BC-900's. Now that the BC-900 is fixed, the BC-700 is kinda of a odd duck, with no real place. I believe they are phasing it out.
    ok, then what is the "new" BC-9009?

BC-900 versus BC-9009 differences, if any, please? it would be odd if the only difference is really merely the color. That is, to bother with shipping a new SKU, bothering with "new" inventory versus the "older" inventory, etc., merely to switch a color, is atypical. They could even have done a BC-900B (i.e. B for black color model) rather than call it BC-9009 if it really only has color as the only difference. I suspect that there are modifications, but the details have not yet filtered down from the manufacturer (in China) to the OEM buyers yet, i.e. Lacrosse.

my guess is they *think* the firmware is now bug free and decided to make a version that the model number (without checking firmware) is one they know will not have issues. There are a lot of BC900s out there but some of the older ones are quirky so if someone was having a problem they would have to take time to read the firmware where as if they had a 9009 the firmware would not be an issue (if they never find any more bugs and update it again. I am guessing the next update would be a 9010 model next year.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

How ironic to run across this thread here today. I was going to start a thread yesterday asking when or if Lacross was going to upgrade the BC900 considering it's been around for a few years now. The 3 I have are either v32 or v33. Did they ever come out with a v34 firmware?

Silver Moderator

Hello Mighty82,

Your information is incorrect.

LaCrosse originally came out with the BC-700. This was upgraded to the BC-900.

They had some warehouses full of BC-700 that they unloaded, and the BC-700 re-emerged, but it is not a new product.

Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    Hello Mighty82,

Your information is incorrect.

LaCrosse originally came out with the BC-700. This was upgraded to the BC-900.

They had some warehouses full of BC-700 that they unloaded, and the BC-700 re-emerged, but it is not a new product.

Tom
    Whew! I'm vindicated by the guru. I knew I read it somewhere. Thank you for your verification, Tom/Mr. Silverfox.

Quote Originally Posted by Beacon of Light View Post
    How ironic to run across this thread here today. I was going to start a thread yesterday asking when or if Lacross was going to upgrade the BC900 considering it's been around for a few years now. The 3 I have are either v32 or v33. Did they ever come out with a v34 firmware?
    V35 is out now (I got mine last month) but no idea how long it has been out.

Quote Originally Posted by jt4703 View Post
    V35 is out now (I got mine last month) but no idea how long it has been out.
    That's good to know.

Unenlightened

There is one other difference that I noticed between the 2 units, the BC-9009 will charge to a maximum of 2600 mah and the bc-900 will charge to a maximum of 3000 mah. I found that info in the pdf data files on the Lacrosse website for these 2 units....

Quote Originally Posted by slipryd View Post
    There is one other difference that I noticed between the 2 units, the BC-9009 will charge to a maximum of 2600 mah and the bc-900 will charge to a maximum of 3000 mah. I found that info in the pdf data files on the Lacrosse website for these 2 units....
    Interesting, and you have to wonder why. Reducing the maximum output to 2600mAh essentially renders the BC-9009 incapable of fully charging higher capacity AA cells on a single charge.
    I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves

Quote Originally Posted by slipryd View Post
    Link? I somehow doubt they would make such a foolish mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Marduke View Post
    Link? I somehow doubt they would make such a foolish mistake.
    Found them:

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/900/manual.pdf

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/9009/manual.pdf

For future reference, they're linked at the top of the respective LaCrosse.com product pages for each charger.
    I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves

Both PDFs indicate maximum charging capacity of 3000 mAh.

It's in the specification section.

The 2600 mAh value is in Table 1, which is simply an example of charging time.
    Last edited by Black Rose; 04-26-2009 at 09:40 PM.

A heads-up for the owners of a LaCrosse charger.

While glancing through their respective manuals to locate their specifications, I noticed the manual for the BC-9009 is 35 pages longer than the manual for the BC-900.

Since all three LaCrosse chargers use essentially the same interface, the manual for the BC-9009 may provide additional information on the operation of both the BC-900 and BC-700.

Here are the hyperlinks to all three:

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/700/manual.pdf

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/900/manual.pdf

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/9009/manual.pdf

Thinking Re: Lacrosse BC-9009 versus BC-900: What differences, if any?

Quote Originally Posted by Bones View Post
    A heads-up for the owners of a LaCrosse charger.

While glancing through their respective manuals to locate their specifications, I noticed the manual for the BC-9009 is 35 pages longer than the manual for the BC-900...
    Sadly, IMHO, this is a VERY inaccurate, misleading statement:
    • The online manual for the BC-900 is formatted as 1 logical page per 1 physical page (8/8).
    • The online manual for the BC-9009 is formatted as 4 logical pages per 1 physical page (43/11).
    • FYI: The online manual for the BC-700 is formatted as 4 logical pages per 1 physical page (31/8).
    Thus, the comparison solely based on number of pages is, for all intensive purposes (43 vs 8), invalid.

...Since all three LaCrosse chargers use essentially the same interface, the manual for the BC-9009 may provide additional information on the operation of both the BC-900 and BC-700...
    Realistically (after a quick glance at both manuals, since the font is SO DAMN SMALL for my tri-focal eyeballs), La Crosse added a few pages of "CMA" 'Quick Summary' onto the end of the BC-900 Manual to create the BC-9009 Manual.

Sadly, again, with possibly the right hand not knowing what the left hand was doing, they omitted / removed the CRUCIAL (IMHO) portion from the BC-700 Manual about holding the MODE button in for 5 seconds instead of 1 second. And, they still insist on keeping 200mA as the DEFAULT Charging Current and NOT conditioning cells until after 10 uses. Thus, as the purchaser of a La Crosse BC-900 in Dec 2006 and a Maha Powerex MH-C9000 in Jan 2009, I have to vote for Maha as the better company / charger to buy.

Finally, IMHO, introducing the BC-9009, with NO notable / substantial improvements over the BC-900, is a BAD business decision. But, from personal experience with both the La Crosse BC-900 and the Maha MH-C9000, IMHO, the BC-900 is better suiter for OLDer, non-LSD cells (with its 'Repeat-Until-No-Improvement' DISCHARGE/REFRESH cycle and no IMPEDANCE CHECK - High Internal Resistance Lock-Out; IMHO, the 'NULL' Lock-Out is justified - that cell is already SCREWED!).

...Here are the hyperlinks to all three:
    Thanks for the LINKs to the BC-700 and BC-9009. I added them to the MANUALs section of my Sig Line LINKs.

Speaking of heating problems with this charger. How hot is too hot. I noticed when charging higher than 1000ma it gets hot on the bottom. Is that normal??

Firmware version is 35. I have 2 of these chargers and both have the same 35 version.
    Last edited by MarioJP; 09-27-2009 at 04:24 PM.

Default OffTopic answer

Quote Originally Posted by MarioJP View Post
    I noticed when charging higher than 1000ma it gets hot on the bottom. Is that normal??
    Yes, this is normal. I usually place my charger vertical (place it on its narrow side) to improve airflow and cooling.
    You should be able to touch the batteries anytime. If they are too hot to touch then you might have a problem.

I am a novice (new BC 9009 owner / user) seeking help.

My understanding was that given any NimH battery, the charger would be able to display its present charge level in mah. I am not able to figure this out. It sems, the display during charging mode shows the accummulated charge level from the start of the charging process and not the actual charge level. Am I missing something?

Would appreciate help /tips.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by gag View Post
    My understanding was that given any NimH battery, the charger would be able to display its present charge level in mah. I am not able to figure this out. It sems, the display during charging mode shows the accummulated charge level from the start of the charging process and not the actual charge level. Am I missing something?

Hi,

You have a misunderstanding here. No charger or battery tester is able to calculate or display the current charge level of a battery in mAh without actually discharging it to find out.

The way the BC9009 works when you want to test a battery is to charge the battery up fully and then discharge it before charging it again. The charger measures how much the discharge was and displays that at the end of the cycle.

The charger can also display the accumulated mAh during charging, but this should not be taken as a reliable indication of the battery capacity. Some charge is wasted during the charging processes and so the charge fed into a battery will be an overestimate of the actual stored charge.

Hope this helps.

Also the accumulated charge just gives you an idea of how much charge was put into the battery. Now if some reason you had a power failure or accidentally the charger got disconnected, the accumulated charge resets, therefore I would not rely on it too much. I would monitor the voltage instead which that is more realistic of how much charge went in to the battery.

Lightbulb Re: Lacrosse BC-9009 versus BC-900: What differences, if any?

Quote Originally Posted by MarioJP View Post
    ...I would monitor the voltage instead which that is more realistic of how much charge went in to the battery.
    The Peak Voltage when charging varies depending on:
    DISCHARGE CAPACITY @ 0.2C is what I use to 'Match / Rate' my cells.
    Last edited by TakeTheActive; 11-15-2009 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Added LINK to one of Mr Happy's Posts...

Thank you everyone for the responses.

It is very helpful

Regards

Wink2 Re: Lacrosse BC-9009 versus BC-900: What differences, if any?

Quote Originally Posted by gag View Post
    I am a novice (new BC 9009 owner / user) seeking help...

...Would appreciate help /tips.
    Have you been reading the 'Help / Tips' located in the STICKY on the top of this forum's Index Page?

I'm especially partial to mine, , also available via my Sig Line LINK.

I thought I would everyone know that it seems that the bc-9009 also has the melt down issue. Happen to me today, charging 4 duraloops.