Lacrosse BC-9009 versus BC-900: What differences, if any?

DualMonitors

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I've been trying to figure out what differences, if any, there are, between the "new" Lacrosse BC-9009 model, versus their current, around 2-3 year old model BC-900?

I cannot see any differences, besides the color of the plastic exterior.

Anyone knows of differences? Thx!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
from another forum I found this
http://www.minizracer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=342832#post342832

LA CROSSE TECHNOLOGY SUPPORT INFORMATION

Dear XXX,

Model Number: BC900 Charger

Please Refer to case number XXXXX in all future correspondence.

The only difference between the BC900 and the BC9009 is the color of the units.

Regards,

Michelle

Technical Support Representative
LaCrosse Technology
2817 Losey Boulevard S
LaCrosse, WI 54601

DualMonitors

Newly Enlightened
Thx for the info, LynxArc. However, i've called Lacrosse and, sorry to say, i found some of the folks who answered their calls to be uneducated in their own products.

One employee told me that the BC-700 is their follow up, later model, to the BC-900. I told her no, i do not believe so. I asked her to kindly double check, she sighed, returned and said that she's correct.

I'm uncertain as to whether or not that it is really true that the BC-9009 is merely a color difference. To have a new SKU for a product is an additional hassle for a company - especially when there's no real need for a new SKU. Unless they ran out of the blue dye they used for the blue plastic for their BC-900, changing the SKU is just going to add work for the warehouse and inventory system.

Somehow, i get the gut feeling that the manufacturer (in Asia) made some changes and they have not yet been fully communicated to Lacrosse in the US yet.

This is merely a speculation. I was hoping that the good, highly knowledgeable folks here might know something about this.

mighty82

Enlightened
The BC-700 is a newer model than the BC-900. It's newer, but cheaper and simpler, and it has lower charging current.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Thx for the info, LynxArc. However, i've called Lacrosse and, sorry to say, i found some of the folks who answered their calls to be uneducated in their own products.

One employee told me that the BC-700 is their follow up, later model, to the BC-900. I told her no, i do not believe so. I asked her to kindly double check, she sighed, returned and said that she's correct.

The BC-700 is a newer model than the BC-900. It's newer, but cheaper and simpler, and it has lower charging current.

I believe the BC-700 was a later model, release with a lower current as a stopgap measure against the cases of melting BC-900's. Now that the BC-900 is fixed, the BC-700 is kinda of a odd duck, with no real place. I believe they are phasing it out.

tabetha

Newly Enlightened
I was told by my bud tonight that the lacrosse/technoline were of german manufacture, how true I don't know ?
tabetha

DualMonitors

Newly Enlightened
I believe the BC-700 was a later model, release with a lower current as a stopgap measure against the cases of melting BC-900's. Now that the BC-900 is fixed, the BC-700 is kinda of a odd duck, with no real place. I believe they are phasing it out.

ok, then what is the "new" BC-9009?

BC-900 versus BC-9009 differences, if any, please? it would be odd if the only difference is really merely the color. That is, to bother with shipping a new SKU, bothering with "new" inventory versus the "older" inventory, etc., merely to switch a color, is atypical. They could even have done a BC-900B (i.e. B for black color model) rather than call it BC-9009 if it really only has color as the only difference. I suspect that there are modifications, but the details have not yet filtered down from the manufacturer (in China) to the OEM buyers yet, i.e. Lacrosse.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
my guess is they *think* the firmware is now bug free and decided to make a version that the model number (without checking firmware) is one they know will not have issues. There are a lot of BC900s out there but some of the older ones are quirky so if someone was having a problem they would have to take time to read the firmware where as if they had a 9009 the firmware would not be an issue (if they never find any more bugs and update it again. I am guessing the next update would be a 9010 model next year.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
How ironic to run across this thread here today. I was going to start a thread yesterday asking when or if Lacross was going to upgrade the BC900 considering it's been around for a few years now. The 3 I have are either v32 or v33. Did they ever come out with a v34 firmware?

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Mighty82,

Your information is incorrect.

LaCrosse originally came out with the BC-700. This was upgraded to the BC-900.

They had some warehouses full of BC-700 that they unloaded, and the BC-700 re-emerged, but it is not a new product.

Tom

DualMonitors

Newly Enlightened
Hello Mighty82,

Your information is incorrect.

LaCrosse originally came out with the BC-700. This was upgraded to the BC-900.

They had some warehouses full of BC-700 that they unloaded, and the BC-700 re-emerged, but it is not a new product.

Tom

Whew! I'm vindicated by the guru. I knew I read it somewhere. Thank you for your verification, Tom/Mr. Silverfox.

jt4703

Newly Enlightened
How ironic to run across this thread here today. I was going to start a thread yesterday asking when or if Lacross was going to upgrade the BC900 considering it's been around for a few years now. The 3 I have are either v32 or v33. Did they ever come out with a v34 firmware?

V35 is out now (I got mine last month) but no idea how long it has been out.

slipryd

Newly Enlightened
There is one other difference that I noticed between the 2 units, the BC-9009 will charge to a maximum of 2600 mah and the bc-900 will charge to a maximum of 3000 mah. I found that info in the pdf data files on the Lacrosse website for these 2 units....

Bones

Enlightened
There is one other difference that I noticed between the 2 units, the BC-9009 will charge to a maximum of 2600 mah and the bc-900 will charge to a maximum of 3000 mah. I found that info in the pdf data files on the Lacrosse website for these 2 units....

Interesting, and you have to wonder why. Reducing the maximum output to 2600mAh essentially renders the BC-9009 incapable of fully charging higher capacity AA cells on a single charge.

Marduke

Flashaholic

Link? I somehow doubt they would make such a foolish mistake.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both PDFs indicate maximum charging capacity of 3000 mAh.

It's in the specification section.

The 2600 mAh value is in Table 1, which is simply an example of charging time.

Last edited:

Bones

Enlightened
A heads-up for the owners of a LaCrosse charger.

While glancing through their respective manuals to locate their specifications, I noticed the manual for the BC-9009 is 35 pages longer than the manual for the BC-900.

Since all three LaCrosse chargers use essentially the same interface, the manual for the BC-9009 may provide additional information on the operation of both the BC-900 and BC-700.

Here are the hyperlinks to all three:

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/700/manual.pdf

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/900/manual.pdf

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/9009/manual.pdf