• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

What improvements would make McGizmo's even better?

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's all in the title :)

NOT a thread to bash Don's work (!), not a thread to brainwash ourselves about how perfect they are and can't get any better. Let's have an neutral and honest thread, I don't want Don to feel his work offensed, at the same time it's very positive to see what people think.

Just a thread to list what, in your opinion, could get better. Be honest! No need to list what you like about them the second after you've pointed out something negative...

IMO :
1 - The modular system Don uses has a huge potential, we all know that with the original Aleph line, it's extremely powerfull. I would really like if there was more compatibility between Ti models LEs and parts. Like swap the LE from a Ti-Mule to a Haiku and so on.
2 - Have an easier access to spare parts like converters, LE cans etc to make your own.
3 - The finish and the lack of cosmetic "perfection". I find the finish to vary too much from a copy to another. A little bit too much of a lottery for me. I've own Ti McGizmo's that had absolutely ZERO machining marks and were "perfect" while some others I've seen had many and very noticable ones. (Yes I know Don is clear about that, he is selling tools not shefl queens, but still I state what I think could be better).
4 - Some converters work with RCR123, some don't. It's always nice to be able to use both primaries and rechargeables.
5 - The drive levels are not user changeable.
6 - Some clicky lights don't have any lockout feature.
7 - I wish the double o-ring lens retaining system put more pressure into the lens against the sealing o-ring. I find it could apply more force and still be easy to place into it's groove (coating the retaining o-ring with lube for assembly makes it super-easy). Same thing for the rubber boot.

That's all, let's see what you think :)

AMRaider

Enlightened
I think they are just about perfect the way they are. I'm all for options, but if you give users too many, the simplistic beauty of the lights is lost (imo).

That being said, if I could make ONE change to Don's lights, it would be to omit the H3 slot. There are a few McGizmos out there without the slot, and I find the appearance to be clean and aesthetically pleasing. YMMV, of course. :)

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
That being said, if I could make ONE change to Don's lights, it would be to omit the H3 slot. There are a few McGizmos out there without the slot, and I find the appearance to be clean and aesthetically pleasing. YMMV, of course. :)

You just made me think :
8. Some McGizmo do not have any tritium vial slot. I'd prefer if they all had a least one. :nana:
:grin2:

Dan FO

Enlightened
I would like to see Don jack up the price by $250 per light to slow down the waves a little. :nana:

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
"perfect the way it is"
Im not a fan of statements like these. IF everyone followed this process, there'd be no progress in the world

My constructuve criticism? I would like the threads to be a little tighter (too much wobble for my tastes)

Thanks

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Don's lights are fine just the way they are. I really do not think that they need any improvement.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
If Don thinks improvements need to be made, he might just make them. The way I see it, Don has worked diligently for some years now to refine his product, and the resulting lights are the beautiful result. So much so that we CPF'ers are waiting with bated breath for his future waves.

The only improvement I can agree with at all is that all McGizmos accept RCR123 cells. It is nice to have the rechargeable option and I am glad all of mine do accept RCR123's.

By the way: I LIKE the tooling marks. It is refreshing to know that Don's lights are ultimately made by hand. Perfect is not always necessary. If it's not broken, DON'T FIX IT.:)

Last edited:

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
If Don thinks improvements need to be made, he might just make them. The way I see it, Don has worked diligently for some years now to refine his product, and the resulting lights are the beautiful result. So much so that we CPF'ers are waiting with bated breath for his future waves.

The only improvement I can agree with at all is that all McGizmos accept RCR123 cells. It is nice to have the rechargeable option and I am glad all of mine do accept RCR123's.

By the way: I LIKE the tooling marks. It is refreshing to know that Don's lights are ultimately made by hand. Perfect is not always necessary. If it's not broken, DON'T FIX IT.:)
Well said!!

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first got it the piston in my PD-S did not travel perfectly down the sleave when pressed and as a result the piston sometimes did not engage the kilroy head on and a clicking noise could be heard as the piston sometimes slipped off the kilroy. I have read that others had this happen as well. I put some tape around the piston which keeps it centred and thus eliminated the issue. If the piston had was a little wider near the opening, tape would not be required. I do remember Don replying to this issue and I don't know if this is an issue with any other PD's.

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to see more offerings of special purpose niche lights that average users would have little use for. UV, colored LEDs, oddball current settings for special uses, etc. Does that qualify as an "improvement"? No, just a request for additional offerings. ;)

Of course, aside from the Sapphire series, if it doesn't attach to a PD pack, it will be invisible to me!! :shrug:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
18650 - AW cells can be the design benchmark, it's time.

Tritium - Minimum of 1 on each light and preferably more with a choice of color.

Tint - Offer a choice between cool and neutral, it's not like they won't all sell!

Finish - Again offer a choice. Beadblast, stonewashed, natural, and high polish.

Maybe Don could sell a number of slots and you put in your choices when when you pay. A McGizmo is something people are willing to wait a bit on and Don's well known enough for people to trust. Only stipulations are that if you change your mind on options during the build you're out of luck and if you bug Don about delivery times your $$ is refunded and your slot is sold to someone else.

That sound fair? :)

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I think they should all come pre-dinged and scratched so we can put them in our pockets with the loose change and keys right away. That's the only improvement I can think of.

scout24

Flashaholic
Carrot-
I will be happy to break them in for you, have Don ship yours to me for a month, and then I will send them on out to you!:D:D:D :crackup:
Greg

carrot

Flashaholic
When I first got it the piston in my PD-S did not travel perfectly down the sleave when pressed and as a result the piston sometimes did not engage the kilroy head on and a clicking noise could be heard as the piston sometimes slipped off the kilroy. I have read that others had this happen as well. I put some tape around the piston which keeps it centred and thus eliminated the issue. If the piston had was a little wider near the opening, tape would not be required. I do remember Don replying to this issue and I don't know if this is an issue with any other PD's.
I had this problem on my Aluminum PD-S but the Titanium one seems to have tighter tolerances. I just put a little bit of gaffer's tape on my Al PD-S.

Latest posts