Energizer Lithiums in any device?

Medicdude

Newly Enlightened
I bought a couple packs of these and I'm assuming I can put them into any device? What makes them different than a Li-Ion. As far as I know Li-Ion can only go in device made for it, correct? forgive me as I'm fairly new to this.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a couple packs of these and I'm assuming I can put them into any device? What makes them different than a Li-Ion. As far as I know Li-Ion can only go in device made for it, correct? forgive me as I'm fairly new to this.

Li-On are 3.7+ volts.

Energizer Lithiums are 1.5+ volts.

Li-On is rechargeable.

Energizer Lithium is throwaway after use.

You can put Energizer Lithium into any device that uses alkaline.

You cannot do the same with Li-On.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Energizer L91 primaries are closer to 1.7V, and the voltage doesn't sag nearly as much under load as alkaline cells. The L91s work fine in most devices, but have been known to fry a few - like the Streamlight Pro-Poly 4AA Luxeon. Unfortunately, other than manufacturers recommendations or trial and error, there's no way to know which devices can't handle the extra voltage (or lack of voltage sag).

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
some devices the high voltage that it HOLDS is to high, regulators heat up, more direct drive items the led can burn out sooner, generally things that run very HARD on a regular alkaline or ni-nh might run TOO hard via a lithium.
many times the info of which battery, is in the manuel you didnt need :) or read.

hmmm a guess summary: (in no way conclusive) From Alkaline (or ni-mh) to Lithium 1.5v E2 L-91 kinda things.

almost always NO for direct drive LED lights, with no regulator, these things were dependant on sagging. often things with 3&4 batteries.

almost always YES for single AA regulated LED flashlights, and 2 battery flashlight items. they had to boost up anyways.

most INCAN items that have Long running bulb items , will just be brighter and run hotter , bulb wont last as long, carry a spare bulb, and enjoy.
an incan that was PUSHING the bulb already to the max, yet is not really high in current , might fail way to soon. it is likly you will see this type of thing easily, and you only loose bulb life.

Quad AA devices it is quite a leap of voltage , from the ~4.8v to ~6v that it can put out under load, a USB charging device , with no regulation , you might want to be really carefull, because you plug it into $100+ phone or pda , and that would hurt lots.
most single or duel USB charge devices use boost, usually not a problem.

many LOW power devices dont have problem with it, like thermostats, clocks, remotes, backups, and stuff, because its usually only 1-2 , and when they get stuffed with "more" it wasnt a lot to begin with.

Audio amplifyer devices , should be ok, most radios, transmitters and recievers unless it a LOT like 9XAA which takes the voltage well over 12. also a 6XAA device might be suspect for going well to high.

some flash devices or cameras with flash will pump charge the flash to hard on a recharge, most of the cameras survive fine because they were dying for power anyways, you can pretty much notice if things are going wicked fast there :) and be cool, and not push it, (like not using FULL flash repeatedly 1/4). many cameras are now designed to easily use lithium. (manuel again)

its all about how the curcuit in stuff is designed, like some parts used with limited voltage, going over the ability for it TO regulate, like 5v capacitors used, or low voltage transister items, or just resistance items that then overheat with to much voltage (for to long).

generally the biggest problem in flashlights will be the direct drive type, and the manuel probably will say for alkaline or rechargable, or specifically mention not to use lithium.

Last edited: