Help finding 1xAA or 1xAAA LED dive light

9Speed

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for something very small that I can use during day dives to look under ledges and rocks etc. It would not be used as a backup for night dives (I already have plenty of lights for night diving). I already have a UK Q40 eLED, but I want something a lot smaller and more convenient. Essentially, I'm looking for something like my Fenix LD01 that's waterproof to ~30m (100ft)... any ideas?

Thanks!

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just cant imagin a single AA celled light giving off nearly enough light for diving.
The Intova range may be better for you or the IST.

9Speed

Newly Enlightened
I just cant imagin a single AA celled light giving off nearly enough light for diving.
The Intova range may be better for you or the IST.
I appreciate your response, but I'm not looking for a primary dive light, just something that will let me see a few feet into dark crevices, inside of sponges, under rocks etc during daytime diving.

My UK Q40 eLED is overkill for this (I only need it for a few minutes of "on" time during day dives, so I don't need 4 AAAs), and I always carry a UK SL4 eLED in my BC pocket as a backup.

I've used a Fenix LD01 a few times while snorkeling in a murky lake and it was perfect for looking under ledges etc, but I need something that can go down to ~100' underwater.

Thanks!

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
My thought is that you're only going to get what you want if you have it custom / modified.
Princeton tec eco flare, UK has a 2aaa light (but their xenon version of same light is rated 4x brighter), but afaik none compare to 'tactical' lights with-out aftermarket work.

9Speed

Newly Enlightened
My thought is that you're only going to get what you want if you have it custom / modified.
Princeton tec eco flare, UK has a 2aaa light (but their xenon version of same light is rated 4x brighter), but afaik none compare to 'tactical' lights with-out aftermarket work.
The UK 2AAA is almost what I'm looking for, but is only waterproof to 30'. I haven't seen an Eco Flare in action, so that may be a viable option.

I think you're right... maybe the best overall solution would just be to have someone create or mod a light for me. I'm pretty new to the forums... when I check out the modding section here I'm a bit overwhelmed at where to start... any possible suggestions?

Take care

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to correct what i've said. There's a reason 1aa dive lights aren't really popular or mass marketed.

Sorry, the more i've thought about this, the more i'd like to ask what gave you the 1aa requirement. There's only so much power in that cell and it will really limit output / runtime of any light you get...I was thinking you might be able to upgrade an emittor if you find a nice host that uses an outdated led. While it is possible to regulate a light to boost output for you (your stated use - many brief activations during a day dive), I can't do this and can't recommend anyone who'd take this on.

Think about it; there's lots of lights out there, and lots of modifications in here. My suggestion is to look around / wait around for someone to offer what you're looking for.
Of course, you are also totally correct to request someone make something for you, just my $0.02 that you wait around a bit first.

Last edited:

fasuto

Enlightened
A small light that you can carry underwater is the ra twisty, but is not an AA.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
A small light that you can carry underwater is the ra twisty, but is not an AA.

And also if you don't mind 1xRCR123 light, there's Titanium Horus FD1.3.
Tested useable to at least 40 metres deep and at 40ºC subzero. It's titanium, so it's corrosion-proof against sea water.

9Speed

Newly Enlightened
I would like to correct what i've said. There's a reason 1aa lights are really popular or mass marketed.

Sorry, the more i've thought about this, the more i'd like to ask what gave you the 1aa requirement. There's only so much power in that cell and it will really limit output / runtime of any light you get...I was thinking you might be able to upgrade an emittor if you find a nice host that uses an outdated led. While it is possible to regulate a light to boost output for you (your stated use - many brief activations during a day dive), I can't do this and can't recommend anyone who'd take this on.

Think about it; there's lots of lights out there, and lots of modifications in here. My suggestion is to look around / wait around for someone to offer what you're looking for.
Of course, you are also totally correct to request someone make something for you, just my $0.02 that you wait around a bit first.
The single AA or AAA requirement simply comes from form factor. I've always subscribed to the less is more philosophy, especially while diving. I'm a pretty relaxed diver... I move slowly and like to check out nooks and crannies. I want something that I can grab quickly and easily without the need for lanyards, clips, or zippers to undo. I would like something small enough to secure it to my BC with a strip of velcro, making it readily available without the fumbling around with BC pockets and clips. It would not be used as a backup light (I always carry a UK SL4 in my BC pocket as a backup), so if it did end up getting knocked off and lost it wouldn't put me in a critical situation.

I do a lot of underwater photography, but I like using a little point-n-shoot without an external strobe because I like to wedge my camera in small crevices and under rocks to get the little creepy-crawlies and shy creatures that inhabit tight spaces. With a single AA or AAA light I could also attach it to the side of my camera case (again, with velcro) and use it as a spotting light.

Now, like I said earlier, I do have a Q40, but with 4xAA it's simply to big to attach securely with velcro and too large to attach to the camera case comfortably. It can clip to my mask strap, but that doesn't allow me to get the light right where I want it. I either keep it secured to my BC with a retractable lanyard or with a clip, but I hate how it flops around as I dive and it always seems to get stuck behind a pocket or under a strap whenever I really want a light as quickly as possible. In addition, its length causes it to get tangled with my compass, camera, or whatever else that I have hanging off of me at any given time. The end result is that I don't use it very much because I don't like the hassle of getting it at the ready.

I guess what I am looking for is something that fulfills the same role as the 1xAAA light that I carry in my pocket. I use my pocket light all the time because it's so quick and easy to pull out and use. It doesn't replace the larger lights that I carry in my backpack or glovebox, but it's availability makes it so convenient to use that I grab it in a lot of situations in which I would otherwise say "forget it"

McGizmo

Flashaholic
9Speed,
I would be happy to send you a Sapphire for you to try out if you are interested. I would be curious as to how it met your requirements, if at all.

9Speed

Newly Enlightened
9Speed,
I would be happy to send you a Sapphire for you to try out if you are interested. I would be curious as to how it met your requirements, if at all.
I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to respond.

McGizmo,
Wow that Sapphire is a really beautiful little light... seems to be exactly like what I am looking for.

I see that that you have done some diving with it; how well does the beam penetrate? Have you tried putting one in a pressure chamber (like the ones they use to check the water resistance of dive watches after they have been serviced) to see how it holds up to depth?

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
9Speed,
Beyond some shallow dives with the light (20' and less) I have not tested the light at all. The design I believe is sound and I understand the ArcAAA has been taken to depths with no issues. Since the Sapphire has essentially the same geometry as the Arc AAA but is stronger in that it is titanium instead of aluminum, I have confidence in its ability to withstand the pressures of submersion in dive applications.

It would be nice to have some empirical data and that is why I am offering you one to test out if you like. I am not worried about a flood and if the light did flood, it would not be the end of the world. The titanium will be fine and the light could easily be rebuilt.

To be clear, I am not offering to give you the light for keeps but I am offering you one to give a good field testing too and you don't need to concern yourself with keeping it "pristine".

9Speed

Newly Enlightened
It sounds perfectly suited to diving in seawater, even though that isn't what it was primarily designed for. I will be pursuing divemaster this summer and will have a number of opportunities to test it at depth in both fresh and sea water. I won't actually start diving regularly until the end of May (once the spring semester concludes).

I really appreciate your offer to borrow one and would be happy to test it out and give an evaluation of its performance. Please feel free to contact me privately as well.

Thanks again.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
9Speed,
I don't do PM's. If you like, please send me an E-mail with your mailing address and I will get one of these out to you. The time frame is good as I hope to be building the next wave of these before the end of May.

I am not inclined to call any of my lights dive lights and they aren't. The Sapphire however was designed to with stand the rigors of unfriendly environments and this includes being under pressure. I have every intention of hanging one on my BC and forgetting about it.

heffay

Newly Enlightened
9Speed, looks like you're local to the Phoenix area. I have one of Packhorse's IST modded lights and would gladly let you try it out as well. Let me know if you want to meet up for some desert lake diving, always looking to get wet.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used a Infinity up to -40 m. Not a lot of light, but long runtime, reliable...

Making a single Nichia GS+ 1AA has been one of my temptations during years, but in fact there are a lot of them out there, some really good.

Javier

McGizmo

Flashaholic
9Speed,

I discovered a pair of little Leaf Scorpion Fish yesterday when I was leaving the water. They are only 10-15' off the beach in a hole that may be 6' deep. This AM, I built the Sapphire I am going to send you for sea trials and I decided to get it wet myself first as well as see if I could get some better shots of the Leafs. The light also adds a sense of scale (size that is) to the fish.

DSC_2836.jpg

These guys are like miniature Frog Fish in a way.

DSC_2853.jpg

DSC_2829.jpg

The fish was mildly curious about the light but its primary interest was in keeping an eye on me and hardly upset when I finally left it and its partner alone.

I took the light down to about 15' and no issues with it at all. With good ambient light, this light is underwhelming but I could see its beam and in turn some color under some ledges which were black to the naked eye. Had to get close though! It might work OK for a modeling light for your camera in the nooks and crannies. :shrug: