McGizmo Ti PD-S Makeover (Refinished Again)

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
As much as I love modding I love to do repairs just as much if not more. After all it's what I've been doing all my life.

A while back the owner of the Ti PD (converted into a PD-S) asked about refinishing Ti. The light was polished by the previous owner & the new owner did not like how slippery it was. I accepted the task

When I received it it definitely showed signs of being a user. I bumped the current up to 775ma, emitter was very crooked so I centered it, threw in a glow oring, & reinstalled the trit in the tail. Posted here.

The light was sold & went through a couple of owners. I think it also got remodded at some point. Not sure of the exact history.

Well the current owner contacted me since he wanted more output out of it. He stated that this light was modded by me previously. After some conversations discussing the details of the light I was pretty sure it was this same light. We agreed to just raise the current on it even higher.

When I previously modded this light, it had a broken inductor, just the outer shield was broken (probably by the person who converted it into a PD-S) & did not affect the light. I mentioned it to the owner at the time & he decided he did not want me to go through the trouble of sourcing such an inexpensive part as the shipping would have cost a lot more than the part. I mentioned this to the current owner & since I now had a new inductor for it laying around I told him I would change it free of charge.

When I received the light I did not expect the light to be in the condition it was in, it had been well used, glad to see that it was. The emitter was definitely changed since the tint was a lot cooler than the nice vanilla tint (USVO) I had remembered it having & the emitter was off centered again. Comparing it to U2SVOH & USVOH I'd say it now has a U2SWO.

Since I this is a previous mod of mine & I would be modding it again I decided to give this light a makeover once again. Although I did not have to, I was bothered by how nice I remember it being. So here it is with no addition cost to the owner with before & after pics. Hope the owner enjoys! :wave:

Don't you just love when mods show up like this? ;)
Img_9475.jpg

Img_9480.jpg

Img_9643.jpg

Img_9636.jpg

Img_9479.jpg

IMG_9673.jpg

I even touched up the screws
Img_9477.jpg

Img_9630.jpg

Replaced the inductor, bumped up to 1A
Img_9560.jpg

Img_9601.jpg

Replaced the smashed contact ball
Img_9485.jpg

Img_9614.jpg

Img_9488.jpg

Img_9627.jpg

Last edited:

beach honda

Enlightened
that is superb work...
would you pm me your rates for doing such things as bumping current and centering LED on MY user PD-S?

what did the runtime end up with @ 1amp?
noticeably brighter eh?
any before and after beamshots?

jblackwood

Enlightened
Was this great work (on the finish) achieved only by using sandpaper? I know it's probably a lot of labor, but bravo if the answer is yes.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Lunasol27 makeover....

Hope the owner enjoys! :wave:

Img_2043.jpg

Img_2137.jpg

Img_2051.jpg

Img_2133.jpg

Next to a stock unfinished somewhat used S27
Img_2116.jpg

Img_2123.jpg

The contact ring was a bit too close to the kilroy so I repositioned it. This one also had way too close of a transition from low to high so I adjusted the kilroy as well. When I received it, it was way to hard to use low constantly with just the piston, well for me anyway. I think it's perfect now.
Img_2058.jpg

Img_2180.jpg

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will,

Thank you for cleaning up my 27.
It looks better than new!!

I can wait to see the boost result.

Ray