Replacing NiCd batteries in Norelco razor

JayC_783

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys! I registered a while back but just lurked around. This is a great forum and I have already learned quite a bit. I've got an issue with my Norelco razor right now. The NiCd batteries have stopped holding a charge a while back. I have been using while having it plugged in. Now, it doesn't even work too well plugged in and it now gets quite hot. I opened it up today to see what was inside and to my surprise the NiCd are just two AAs soldered together. I've got some unused NiCd AAs that are 900 mAh. From my reading the batteries in the razor are 600 mAh. The batteries I have are made by Intermatic Malibu. The packaging shows them for solar lights. I have them in my LaCrosse BC-900 right now undergoing a refresh cycle at 500 mAh to freshen them up. Here are a couple pictures I took of my razor:

You can see in the first photo there is a little metal piece going across the two terminals (looks like one battery leaked a bit). At the other end of the batteries each terminal has its own metal piece. Can I gently pry the metal pieces off and then solder the new batteries in place? I have found a website that has a walkthrough of doing it. Here is the site if someone could take a look.

http://www.raktron.com/razormod/index.html

What do you guys think about that site? I have never soldered before, do you have any tips? Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

rockz4532

Enlightened
Well, for soldering, wipe the solder points with alcohol, it makes it a lot easier. The swap should work. Good luck!

ifoxbox

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys! I registered a while back but just lurked around. This is a great forum and I have already learned quite a bit. I've got an issue with my Norelco razor right now. The NiCd batteries have stopped holding a charge a while back. I have been using while having it plugged in. Now, it doesn't even work too well plugged in and it now gets quite hot. I opened it up today to see what was inside and to my surprise the NiCd are just two AAs soldered together. I've got some unused NiCd AAs that are 900 mAh. From my reading the batteries in the razor are 600 mAh. The batteries I have are made by Intermatic Malibu. The packaging shows them for solar lights. I have them in my LaCrosse BC-900 right now undergoing a refresh cycle at 500 mAh to freshen them up. Here are a couple pictures I took of my razor:

You can see in the first photo there is a little metal piece going across the two terminals (looks like one battery leaked a bit). At the other end of the batteries each terminal has its own metal piece. Can I gently pry the metal pieces off and then solder the new batteries in place? I have found a website that has a walkthrough of doing it. Here is the site if someone could take a look.

http://www.raktron.com/razormod/index.html

What do you guys think about that site? I have never soldered before, do you have any tips? Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

You don't have to use the metal pieces off the old batteries. You can use new wire. In my opinion, wire is easier to solder than the metal tabs. Just tin the wire first. If you have flux, put some on the tips of the batteries. Make sure you have at least a 30 - 40 watt soldering gun. You want it to be hot enough so you don't have to hold it on the battery very long to get the solder to stick. You should be able to get the solder to stick in no more than 2 seconds. After you get the solder on each ends of the batteries, just add the wire.

Good luck!

Kremer

Enlightened
I've replaced batteries in at least 3 norelco's that I can remember, All were 2AA. On the last one I put in some older kodak 1600Mah NiMh's. I use it every day and it only needs to be charged up once a month, it runs a long time and the cells seem to charge up just fine in it.

I tin up a strip of wire to jumper between the cells. For the circuit board connection I pull the tabs off the old batteries when I remove them, leaving them still attached to the PCB. Then I tin those up and use them to reattach the new 2 cell pack. It's a little tight to solder them to the cells, but if you have any experience with an iron it's not bad at all. If you find/get AA's with solder tabs I recommend that for a beginner, it is much easier than trying to tin up and solder directly to cells.

JayC_783

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help, guys. I appreciate it. :) However, in my attempt to remove the old batteries I accidentally broke the shaver. I'm a bit disappointed in that I didn't get to actually try my hand at soldering. I spent a while doing some research about it.

Where do you live in Michigan?

I'm up in the Thumb of MI. Sure was a nice day today, about 70 degrees. Spent most of it outside.

tabetha

Newly Enlightened
I did my nimh in my Philips philishave a few years back, just bought two industrial tagged cells, so the only bit of soldering is to the board.
For this I used a cold soldering iron, which runs on two AA batteries.
tabetha

N162E

Enlightened
Thanks for the help, guys. I appreciate it. :) However, in my attempt to remove the old batteries I accidentally broke the shaver. I'm a bit disappointed in that I didn't get to actually try my hand at soldering. I spent a while doing some research about it.

I'm up in the Thumb of MI. Sure was a nice day today, about 70 degrees. Spent most of it outside.
Hi JayC I live down in Warren, yes the great weather was worth the wait. I had some suggestions which no longer seem to apply.

Maybe see you at "Cheeseburger in Caseville":wave: