Phoenix Electroforms
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fenix TK40 Review - NEW beamshots up

Arrow Re: Fenix TK40 Review - NEW beamshots up

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    With the TK40, how do you get back to Turbo mode once you double-tap the switch to enter fast strobe? Is there a direct path, or do I have to turn off the light and turn it back on?
    Just double-tap again.

Default Re: Fenix TK40 Review - NEW beamshots up

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    Your calculations are also incorrect. TK40 is using two parallel strings of batteries, i.e. the time is double up.
    Thanks for the correction on the battery config for the TK40. Technically, there is nothing wrong with my calculations. 2000/9 is about 220. The error was my assumption of 8S, due to unfamiliarity with the TK40. Of course, the other person's calculations were also correct. I should have said "methodology", not "calculation". Additionally, the methodology I used is is correct, unlike the other one, which can't give you the right answer regardless of whether or not you know that the cells are wired in 2P4S.
    Last edited by Justin Case; 05-31-2009 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    With the TK40, how do you get back to Turbo mode once you double-tap the switch to enter fast strobe? Is there a direct path, or do I have to turn off the light and turn it back on?
    You can do either of the following:

1. Double tap to take you back to turbo or:
    2. Turn off, then back on to take you back to turbo. (same difference).
    removed

I don't know about you all, but I'm ready to see some more TK40 beamshots. Anyone want to share some fresh photos?
    My Sunlite Reviews: 8wFP, 16wFP, FP80, 8w Utility Head, Slim Jr., Slim2.
    My "High Output Thrower" Review

Popcorn Re: Fenix TK40 Review - NEW beamshots up

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanrpm View Post
    I don't know about you all, but I'm ready to see some more TK40 beamshots. Anyone want to share some fresh photos?
    Have you seen these:

Fenix TK40 outdoor beamshots at ~45 feet (all shots on manual settings):

Fenix TK40 on low:

Fenix TK40 on medium:

Fenix TK40 on high:

Fenix TK40 on turbo:

JetBeam M1X:

Fenix T1 on max:

Surefire E2DL on high:

They look familiar. Thanks!

BTW, in your last photo with the lights standing up, I see the M1X is missing...?
    My Sunlite Reviews: 8wFP, 16wFP, FP80, 8w Utility Head, Slim Jr., Slim2.
    My "High Output Thrower" Review

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanrpm View Post
    They look familiar. Thanks!

BTW, in your last photo with the lights standing up, I see the M1X is missing...?
    Ok, I didn't know if you had seen them or not. I traded my M1X for the TK40 and I don't have a pic of them together. The main reason for the pic was to show how large a 3D Mag-lite is compared to the TK40 and the others.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    The main reason for the pic was to show how large a 3D Mag-lite is compared to the TK40 and the others.
    TQ for that thought as I did felt it was that primary motive to line them together which I appreciated it when I mused at the height & size
    of each.
    While I was away with a morning Meeting this morning, my TK40 arrived (just as I expected when being away... am collecting it at the P/Office this afternoon) as expected since it failed to show up B4 the w/end and yesterday too was a public holiday for us. I can now see where that bulky baton-size for the TK40 would land itself then.... in my backpack together with my Mac when I'm on the travelling route and when strolling the dunes with my Guard dog... I will still carry the T1 that is a permanent hip companion most of the time.
    Last edited by SemperFi; 06-02-2009 at 03:46 AM.

*resurfaces after long disappearance*

Wow, nice review. I want one of these TK40's. (says the One Who Named the ROP - DM51 - don't smite me )

I would say both the ROP and the TK40 have their place, I'd like the TK40 because it doesn't pop bulbs hot off a charge, it's regulated, runs on AA's and has the usual LED advantages. The ROP has its traditional incandescent advantages and looks brighter at 200 feet in these photos although the beam is less focused.

The beamshots with distance are really well done, conveys what each light does well at what ranges. To me it's a milestone, technology has come far enough that we're now seeing LEDs in this power class, that it can even stand up and rival our old incan favorites, which was unthinkable when the Mag85, ROP and others were born. I think it's a great development. The 4-die Cree is like the LuxV all over again, with all the power I came to know and love from the LuxV.

I am a little bit tired of fiddling with li-ion at the moment, so NiMH appeals to me. One of Fenix's strengths has always been catering to the AA market, even if it takes 8AA. The 2P design of the TK40 is well thought out too.

I've never really been particularly fond of Fenix's UI's, but that's a small price to pay for an otherwise well designed light. I intend to use it mostly at turbo mode anyway, so I'd probably leave it on max blast all the time.

Off to Lighthound to pick up my TK40!!
    Celebrating the ROP.. 5 years of history

Banned

Hi fellas...

Great to be back from the searing temps & heat by the south of Spain. Was there to cruise-drive along the coastal towns of Andalusuia as a short holiday (and prelude to my next coming one in NZ this Fall) soon after collecting my TK40!!!... WOOT!!!

I have it proven when up at the Great Siege Tunnels in Gibraltar. At one point, where no one could either suspect or noticed, there was this hidden chamber thats pitch dark... until I decided to flash out my tucker...heheh... I meant the TK40 and others around me went..."WAUWWW!!! thanks mate!!!" and clicks after clicks were on... until I switched it off.

We then managed to snap with our cameras on the 2 waxed figures inside the hidden Sick-Bay cave room.
    My TK40 will again become handy when I enter the Rotorua caves in the northern island of New Zealand for sure... can't wait to see how far and bright it proves itself down there....

Here's a snap of what showed up...

Inside one of the tunnel's chambers...

Looking through the grills over the airstrip of Gibraltar, from up and inside The Rock itself.

Last edited by SemperFi; 07-06-2009 at 08:42 AM.

Banned

Here's my tallest so far... the TK40 on the right.

As they blast away....!!!

The left comes as a 50w Halogen with 750,000 lightpower and plugs into a 12v car receptacle.
    The strong distinct beam is something to marvel at, like a Polarion hid thrower!!! I will someday capture its beam throw into the sky...
    Last edited by SemperFi; 07-06-2009 at 09:00 AM.

Ok, I didn't know if you had seen them or not. I traded my M1X for the TK40 and I don't have a pic of them together. The main reason for the pic was to show how large a 3D Mag-lite is compared to the TK40 and the others.
    Interesting - No matter how many shots I see with a Mag, it looks and feels much more compact in person.
    Mine arrived yesterday. One of the first things was to hold my Mag 3D and the TK for a little weight and feel comparison. The tubes are the same 1.554 inch so along with the length, it's probably the shorter head on the TK that fools me.

As I mentioned in part 3, beam shots online are nothing compared to in hand.

Hi,
    Is this the same TK40 as everywhere else? http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26115
    Its only 120$...or is it a fake one? Not the real fenix?

Quote Originally Posted by taivox View Post
    Hi,
    Is this the same TK40 as everywhere else? http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26115
    Look's real to me.

Hi,
    try camp smarter

Quote Originally Posted by thedeske View Post
    try camp smarter
    What do you mean by that?

What do you mean by that?
    OK - http://www.campsmarter.com/mofx-tk40.html

you have to click a link to see price

DX is overseas - this is in the states & thus easier to deal with if there's a problem
    if you're in the states.

You coulda just googled

DX is overseas - this is in the states & thus easier to deal with if there's a problem
    if you're in the states.

You coulda just googled
    I Live in Estonia...(Europe )

if you're in the states.

You coulda just googled
    Any personal experience with campsmarter?
    Ever return anything? (good experience?) (warranty?)

Think the "new version" is being sold thru them? (ie with improved battery carrier)
    Last edited by flasherByNight; 08-08-2009 at 01:10 PM.
    TK40 Round-Up Thread - very image intensive!

Quote Originally Posted by flasherByNight View Post
    Any personal experience with campsmarter?
    Ever return anything? (good experience?) (warranty?)

Think the "new version" is being sold thru them? (ie with improved battery carrier)
    Yes - my "new version" TK40 arrived in 5 days cross country (Calif to Ga) ground UPS
    It's the only thing I've ordered from them, so no history.

I'm not the first to order from them on this forum.
    Last edited by thedeske; 08-10-2009 at 01:42 PM.

Yes - my "new version" TK40 arrived in 5 days cross country (Calif to Ga) ground UPS
    It's the only thing I've ordered from them, so no history.

I'm not the first to order from them on this forum.
    Thanks for the site. If you don't mind, keep us (me ) updated if you have to return or otherwise deal with them, thanks
    (that price make it's pretty irresistible...ugh)

(This thread is pretty much the only thing that comes up with "campsmarter" as the search term btw )

*Only two left, noooooooooooooo...ugh, I totally just bought one after I saw that (ok, only ONE left now lol)

**UPDATE: Was supposed to arrive today the 17th, made it to the local distribution center. Received an "exception" notice, they didn't write a STREET ADDRESS! What the ???!!$#%@$@# Shipped back to california....
    *** 3 Days later still haven't heard back from them via email or telephone grrrrrrrrr
    **** 4 Days - still no response :/
    ***** 5 Days later, CSR finally got back to me. Claimed they thought they had already responded. He reshipped it out...so, guess I gotta wait another 5 days (woulda been nice if they expedited shipping). Although he did knock off an additional%....so I guess for that price the slightly lackluster CSR is still worthwhile. At least they seem honest and it was a possible "honest mistake". *shrug, ymmv caveat emptor blah blah blah

* AUG 31st: FINALLY arrived today :/ in an open/untaped package. Upon receiving the package I was like....wth is this, this box is way too small (thought they had sent me wrong thing lol). Anyhow, not only was the box untaped and opened, horrible packaging job, a small piece of paper was the extent of padding. blergh.
    And to make matters worse, this is obviously a RETURNED item as there is visible damage on the knurling and specs of dirt on it....sigh.

Nonetheless figured if it worked alright I'd live with the cosmetic damages....threw some crappy rat shack batteries in it. (I know I know it's all I currently have ). Rest of my eneloops are in the truck. Well, it works...it IS Day time, but can't say my first impression is very awe inspiring. Will wait tonight to pass judgement.

Anyhow, upto you whether or not campsmarter is worthwhile or not. Cheap, but...
    Last edited by flasherByNight; 08-31-2009 at 01:58 PM. Reason: GAH!

Never ordered from campsmarter before ... first time for everything! Hope it goes smoothly. I'm excited ... couldn't resist.

I was so close to buying a SolarForce L1000 from lighthound ... but then i'd have to buy a li-ion charger and 3x18650 cells and get it shipped and then brought over the Canadian border (not sure if there are restrictions on rechargeable li-ion cells over a drive-border or if it's just through the air)

I have a ton of new LSD Eneloops waiting!

Quote Originally Posted by flasherByNight View Post

*Only two left, noooooooooooooo...ugh, I totally just bought one after I saw that (ok, only ONE left now lol)
    Interesting - there were 43 on the 10th

Super Moderator

Some off-topic posts and replies to them have been moved to a new thread.

This thread is Wattnot's review of the TK40 - please would members stay on topic.
    Resistance is futile...

Have you seen these:

Fenix TK40 outdoor beamshots at ~45 feet (all shots on manual settings):

Fenix TK40 on low:

Fenix TK40 on medium:

Fenix TK40 on high:

Fenix TK40 on turbo:

JetBeam M1X:

Fenix T1 on max:

Surefire E2DL on high:

Sean,

I was about to buy one, but from the pics, it looks like the surefire who produces 120 lumens, is almost as bright as the tk 40.

is that so in real life?

thanks
    LIGHT IS LIFE

Default Re: Fenix TK40 Review

I would very much like if a few other people could measure the standby current on their light, it is easy to do (If needed I can post a picture on how to do it).
    Hi, is it too late to request this? I would like to know how though, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by karlosk98 View Post
    Sean,

I was about to buy one, but from the pics, it looks like the surefire who produces 120 lumens, is almost as bright as the tk 40.

is that so in real life?

thanks
    No, those pictures do none of the lights justice. The TK40 will blow away the SF at 120 Lumens. The TK40 in medium is almost as bright as my Olight M20 (240 Lumens) on high.

Quote Originally Posted by pseudoblue View Post
    Hi, is it too late to request this? I would like to know how though, thanks
    Way late, but here is a picture, I hope it can help you:

My website with flashlight, battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 200 battery reviews and 80 charger reviews.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

Way late, but here is a picture, I hope it can help you:
    Yes, this is good.. Thank you very much for posting the pic for me

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
    heh, just noticed the yellow ikea batteries...been meaning to see what the "pros" thought about them. I know they're ridiculously dirt cheap.

(PS, updated my experience with campersmarter in post 111)
    Last edited by flasherByNight; 08-17-2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: great bang for the buck apparently!