ArmyTek
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fenix TK40 Review - NEW beamshots up

Default Re: Fenix TK40 Review - NEW beamshots up

Quote Originally Posted by ukcustomer View Post
    PS the torch when working is great!
    Please let us know what you did or will be doing to obtain warranty service from Fenix. That way, if any other TK40 owners have problems with their torches, they'll know what to do.

If the vendor is slamming the door in your face, you may have to contact Fenix directly.

Very good review.
    I am new to uber flashlights....I sure could have used that TK40 a few nights ago....my GSD chased a prowler into a dark corner of my backyard and my flashlight did not have the power to light up the area....thats what got me checking out the new flashlights.

Banned

Before I left Europe for Singapore early this month, I was contemplating on taking my TK40 along but after checking the battery holder, finding some oxidization on one of the battery points. I had removed all the original batteries that came with it, clean and blow dry with a hair-dryer and tested it and it worked without a hitch.

I left it behind and will recheck it with a new set of batteries upon return in January.

Merry Christmas and a jolly flashy 2010 to everyone!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ukcustomer View Post
    First I would like to start positive by saying how impressed I have been with the TK40. Unfortunately after a couple of months use, it all of a sudden stopped working (these things happen its still under warranty). The problem I have is with the after care support I recieved from fenix.co.uk. This is who I originally purchased this item from. I don't want to go into details but if I could warn at least one person not to use this website then this would justify me posting this.
    PS the torch when working is great!
    Do you mean fenixtorch.co.uk? I bought from them and I won't do it again. It took them two days to post the item (claim same day post), they did not respond to several emails and there was no receipt. If they can't even bother with the basics when you order, I can't imagine how bad the service is.

Thanks for your thorough review!

Our TK40 arrived the 30th.
    Very interesting product.
    Quick observations
    - Excellent BIN emitter. Very Scotopic vision as well as photography friendly. Looks like 4,000K- 4,500K emitters are finally here.
    - Nice form factor, no issues there at all
    - The body perfectly fits into our MAG-D stand holder
    - Programing UI is pretty good. I managed to navigate it without reading instructions.
    - Output levels are logical and 'flashing' features pretty easy to divine and execute.
    - We want to attach a hood to the front bezel. A threaded front bezel to accept photo accessories would be cool.
    - Beam profile is very useful. Context inclusive spot. Again, a way to modulate the beam would be nice. EG > Fresnel lens, Reverse Fresnel ( wide- angle) and diffusion.
    - AA battery loading was smooth and intuitive
    - No tests for run-times but I'm sure there are plenty here already.
    The rest of the feedback will be the 2 page review in GearNinja.com
    Anyway. I really like this light. We're getting the LED Lenser X21 for comparison.
    I'm thrilled at how far along these lights have come in the past 5 years.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Archie Cruz View Post
    Thanks for your thorough review!

Our TK40 arrived the 30th.
    ........snip...... I really like this light. We're getting the LED Lenser X21 for comparison.
    I'm thrilled at how far along these lights have come in the past 5 years.
    Happy New Year Archie and esp. on yr new Fenix "edc" emitter!!!
    R U getting the X21 from within yr country or elsewhere? U're going to like the LEDLenser as well....

I just got back from Singapore holidays and came back with a GSM Jammer... in one burst, I am thrilled with a WoW!!!

The other that I had bought too is a 200mW green Laser and this is as straight and cool with its creepy intensity... it simply went for meters after meters like sayyyyy... nearly as far as 2km?!!! A beauty and a true dazzler. Nice Christmas gifts they were for my collection but nuisance Hp users within 20m around me in public places ain't going to have their way anymore using their mobile and yakking inconsiderately around me when I want decent peace to my ears...heheh.

Cheersch.....
    Last edited by SemperFi; 01-02-2010 at 03:05 AM.

Great review - Has swayed me to order this over the Ultrafire WL1300

Can't wait for it to arrive now

Mike

Buttrock Re: Fenix TK40 Review - NEW beamshots up

very nice review, just got mine, happy like a child

So this is completely random but I thought was kinda neat.
    I was playing with my tk40 and the lens from my diy projector and found it projects a crystal clear picture of the die and reflector.

TK40 Round-Up Thread - very image intensive!

Default Re: Fenix TK40 Review - query re beamshots and beam comparison

I will start by saying what a great, informative forum this is. Thanks to all.

I can't see it anywhere in the text, but can someone tell me what the setting as for Wattnots original beamshots in the review (630 lumen "Turbo" or 277 lumen "high"?).

This seems like an impressive, solid torch, but unfortunately I can seem to find one in the flesh to take a look. I have looked at a LED Lenser P17 and P14, and woul lovie it fi someone could compare the beam on the TK40 to the P17 in terms of where it sits in the 'flood to spot' range.

From Wattnot's beamshots, it seems a lot less ringy than the P17 in flood, but perhaps not as tight as the P17 in spot mode.

If anyone can give me a comment or a link to one on the beam throw of the TK40 compared to a P17, I would be thankful.

Cheers,
    TC
    (Aus)

I can't compare my TK40 to any LED Lenser products as neither I nor anyone that I know has any LED Lenser lights.

From Wattnot's beamshots, it seems a lot less ringy than the P17 in flood
    The TK40's beam appears less ringy because it has no rings. Seriously, the TK40 has the most artifact-free beam pattern of any light that I have ever seen. It is, so far, the only light that I've come across that is close to my definition of a "perfect" beam pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Locoboy5150 View Post
    The TK40's beam appears less ringy because it has no rings. Seriously, the TK40 has the most artifact-free beam pattern of any light that I have ever seen. It is, so far, the only light that I've come across that is close to my definition of a "perfect" beam pattern.
    thanks Locoboy. I agree that the beamshots for the TK40 seem very clean and even, better than others in the LED range.
    My reason for the query is that I am after a light for use in emergency services (rural fire brigade) and I know that a light with a broad flood can be a problem for others working nearby. Hence, the P17, which I know is far ringier, is an option in that it allows variation in the beam shape, and goes to a pretty good spot, albeit with a few spilled rings. I am keen to get comment about the Fenix TK40 in this regard - where is sits in the spot/flood scheme of things, as by all accounts it seems to rate highly in all regards. It seems that "beam field" as in, say, beam width at 100m does not get quoted in relation to torch reviews (If you think about binoculars or rifle scopes, the figure "field of view" is akin to this). My reference to the LED Lenser just will help, as I know that beam (I have not had exposure to many of the lights mentioned in the forum reviews).

Cheers,
    TC
    Last edited by tc67; 05-22-2010 at 05:02 AM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by tc67 View Post
    [...] It seems that "beam field" as in, say, beam width at 100m does not get quoted in relation to torch reviews. (If you think about binoculars or rifle scopes, the figure "field of view" is akin to this).
    G'day tc67...

As a fellow flashlight noob, I've often wondered myself as to why a "field" of illumination isn't quoted at some standard throw distance — say at 100 metres.

People talk about "tight" spots and "wide" spots, "well-defined" spots and "tunnels" of light, but it's never actually quantified. Is a 12m circle of light at 100m a tight spot? Or would it be more like a 3m circle of light?

To me, the extremities of the flashlight's hotspot diameter at its maximum, usable throwing distance is a vital statistic, but one that never seems to be precisely quoted other than from observation of its beam shot pics on these forums (unless I'm missing the bleedin' obvious LOL).

—Jack.
    "Why do today what you can do tomorrow?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Reacher View Post
    G'day tc67...

As a fellow flashlight noob, I've often wondered myself as to why a "field" of illumination isn't quoted at some standard throw distance — say at 100 metres.

People talk about "tight" spots and "wide" spots, "well-defined" spots and "tunnels" of light, but it's never actually quantified. Is a 12m circle of light at 100m a tight spot? Or would it be more like a 3m circle of light?

To me, the extremities of the flashlight's hotspot diameter at its maximum, usable throwing distance is a vital statistic, but one that never seems to be precisely quoted other than from observation of its beam shot pics on these forums (unless I'm missing the bleedin' obvious LOL).

—Jack.
    I am with you Jack. I am not sure if we are re-inventing the wheel, or revolutionising the science of light reviews. The "field of beam at 100metres" = FOB100 ... ok, ok, yards if you must!!
    The only down-side is that some poor reviewer has to walk backwards and forwards from the lights to the 100m mark with their tape measure.... unless they are lucky enough to have an (often blinded) assistant!!

Cheers,
    TC
    Last edited by tc67; 05-22-2010 at 06:47 AM. Reason: typo altering meaning

You guys both brought up a great statistic (width of beam measurements) that would be very helpful. I just don't know how one would go about measuring it accurately, but I'm sure that with a tape measure and a large, flat surface to shine the light on, it could be done.

The only way that I can describe the TK40's beam patten is that it's a wonderful mix of a throw light and a flood light. The hot spot is nice and tight with a very large diameter spill beam around it. Both the hot spot and the spill beam are very useful outdoors.

I just did some quick indoor measurements against a white wall inside my house. I placed my TK40 54 inches away from the wall. That's 54 inches between the light's glass lens and the surface of the wall. At that distance, the hot spot is 12" in diameter and the spill beam is 83 inches in diameter.

With those distance and dimensions, you can scale them up or down to directly compare the TK40's beam shape to that of your LED Lenser P14's beam dimensions. If you place your P14 at 54 inches away from a wall in your house, then you don't have to scale up or down my measurements.

Note that I used a tape measure so it's not like those were super accurate numbers.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that there is one pretty well known artifact in the TK40's beam pattern. At distances of about 16 inches or less away from the object being illuminated, the Cree MC-E 4 die LED creates a black cross pattern. That is due to the black dividing lines between the 4 individual LEDs that make up the big MC-E LED.

All lights with MC-E LEDs in them have that black cross pattern. The difference with the TK40's beam is that that black cross *completely* disappears at distances of more than about 16 inches away from the object being lit up. With some other MC-E lights, that black cross pattern will become a noticeable dark spot in the beam center when the light is far away from the illuminated object. The Jetbeam M1X has been called the "King of the Donut Holes" on CPF because it has a noticeable slightly darker spot in the center of its beam pattern. The TK40 does not have any hint of that problem at all.

I forgot to mention the black cross because I can't think of anyone, including myself, that uses their TK40 at such close range so that one artifact in the TK40's beam pattern falls into the "out of sight, out of mind" category. For close up work like that, the TK40 is too large in my opinion and it gets in the way of such detail work. I have my EDC light, a Fenix LD20, on my belt in a holster for that type of up close work.
    Last edited by Locoboy5150; 05-22-2010 at 10:20 AM.

I just did some quick indoor measurements against a white wall inside my house. I placed my TK40 54 inches away from the wall. That's 54 inches between the light's glass lens and the surface of the wall. At that distance, the hot spot is 12" in diameter and the spill beam is 83 inches in diameter.
    Thanks for the figure Locoboy.
    I did a comparison wih LED Lenser, and get the following. I note this is a TK40 thread, so will put more info in a better place, but at 54 inches front of lens to wall, I get:
    LL P17 (high, focus to spot) central hot spot 7.5 inch, with some softer spill to 13 inches
    LL P17 (high, focus to flood) a good solid beam width 50.75 inches.

TC
    Last edited by DM51; 05-24-2010 at 02:55 AM. Reason: fix quote handle

nice photos. Good bright white light from the TK-40.
    throws the beam far.

Banned

I can't compare my TK40 to any LED Lenser products as neither I nor anyone that I know has any LED Lenser lights
    Here are some beam snaps taken earlier this year between my TK40 and the LED Lenser X21 down by my other residence in Holland.

My TK40 now serves as a quick pull-out from my driving seat, it has found a place for its main role....

Here's a beam shot ranging at 100 meters with the TK40.

Here's the other beam shot, same distance but with the LED Lenser X21.

Again with the TK40 at approx 75 meters.

Same distance but with the LED Lenser X21, this is like turning night into day at a switch speed!!!

Allthough i don't like Ledlensers ,their focus system is very clever and efficient .
    On the other hand ,i love Fenix products.Maybe not the best of it's kind but of very high quality at decent price.
    And i would love to have the Fenix "big pocket" thrower (aka TK40) but at this monent i can't afford it
    thanks for the pictures!Loved them..

Thank you for posting these comparative beam-shots. "Real life" pics are always an excellent way to assess flashlights — particularly when, as in most cases, one can't get hold of the lights themselves.

I've taken the liberty of appending the images' EXIF data, and commented accordingly. I mean no disrespect to you, and appreciate your input and the time it's taken to get these pics together, but I need to make a comment that's relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post

4 seconds at ISO 400

4 seconds at ISO 200

1/2 second at ISO 800

1/3 second at ISO 3200
    Unfortunately, the random (AUTO?) settings you've chosen (and which I've highlighted) for your Fuji SP570 camera affect our perception of the beam-shots for both of these flashlights. And that's why your last X21 shot looks like daylight!

You need to ensure that you use identical camera settings for all your beam-shots, otherwise any meaningful comparison is lost. The adverse effect is most noticeable (and exaggerated at higher ISOs) within the flashlight's hot-spots.

—Cheers, Jack.
    "Why do today what you can do tomorrow?"

Thanks guys for awesome reviews. I bought this light recently off of ebay and am blown away. I can see how this light could quickly get one in trouble in NYC. I can only imagine what the 45 will be like based on the video i've seen. While weird in its apperance I would still buy it solely based on the fact that is uses AA NiMH. While I don't own any 18650 CR123 or whatever these things are I have probably over 60 rechargeable AA that I invested in because of my (and kids) toys.

Enlightened

Sorry to bring up a somewhat older thread, but instead of wasting everyone's time and creating a new thread, I thought I should ask the question right here, since the topic is the TK40. It says on turbo mode the flashlight will keep going for 2 hours, my question is does that mean all 2 hours the output is going to be at 630 lumen's or whatever the flashlights maximum is?
    Last edited by SantaClawz; 09-28-2010 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaClawz View Post
    It says on turbo mode the flashlight will keep going for 2 hours, my question is does that mean all 2 hours the output is going to be at 630 lumen's or whatever the flashlights maximum is?
    I'd say yes, you'll get all of your lumens but watch for heat buildup. The only thing that would reduce the output would be an overheating situation, which is possible with continuous use on TURBO. In fact Fenix gives a general warning on all of their lights about use on MAX/TURBO output saying you should limit it to 10 minutes continuous. In reality, if there is some sort of heatsinking (like your hand and a cool night) then you should be fine. However, leaving it sit on turbo with no moving air on a warm night, I would bet the overheat circuit would start to reduce the output to protect the LED.

Displacing night on a daily basis.

Enlightened

Wattnot

Thanks for such a quick reply, I actually just got my TK40 today and was curious about that. By the way, it does heat up pretty good on turbo. I left it on my desk running on turbo setting for about 10 minutes just to see how much it would heat up, and it got pretty warm actually. But you are right, I am sure if I was actually walking outside with it on a cool night, it probably wouldn't heat up that much and that fast.
    Last edited by SantaClawz; 09-28-2010 at 01:25 PM.

Yes, if you run your TK40 off of rechargeable AAs (and you should) the output should be fairly constant.

The only issue as whatnot has already mentioned is the heat generated. I recently used it on a camping trip and the temperature at night was in the 50s so I had no problem running it continuously and I didn't notice any changes in brightness until right before the batteries died.

It is actually very easy to see when the batteries are dying because when you switch between the modes they pretty much don't get brighter but stay at low level.

Indoors the head gets hot in less than 10-15 minutes so as Fenix advises, this light should not be run continuously for more than 15 minutes on TURBO. You can go back to 3rd level and the head will fairly quickly cool off.

BTW I have both the TK 40 and TK45 and the 45 is brighter but the TK40 beats it with its throw.
    Fenix TK-70, TK41, TK-45, TK-40, NiteCore D20. They all run on AAs, Love IT! (except the TK-70) which is going out in favor of JetBeam RRT-3 XML, Yep I invested in 18650s

Enlightened

So basically once the batteries start dying, the light just goes down to minimum setting (suddenly)? I thought it would just go off completely.
    Last edited by SantaClawz; 10-04-2010 at 04:29 PM.

The nature of Ni-Mh rechargeable batteries is they that keep the current steady until right before the batteries die.

The flashlight does not switch to its lowest setting per se but when batteries are near done it's output is low even at TURBO setting. At this point switching from lowest to highest settings does not yield much improvement in terms of output.
    Fenix TK-70, TK41, TK-45, TK-40, NiteCore D20. They all run on AAs, Love IT! (except the TK-70) which is going out in favor of JetBeam RRT-3 XML, Yep I invested in 18650s

Enlightened

I see, thanks man.
    Last edited by SantaClawz; 10-04-2010 at 04:29 PM.

Enlightened

Guys, I did my own test. I had 8 NiMH Ultra Pro 2700 mAh batteries which were charged roughly 3 days ago and were sitting in the TK40 ever since. I had the flashlight on turbo mode and it only lasted roughly 30 - 40 minutes before it started going downhill to the medium setting brightness, yet Fenix says the TK40 can go on turbo for 2 hours straight. I have to say I am a little bit surprised with those results, but then again I have a cheap energizer charger and batteries are rather generic I think.
    Last edited by SantaClawz; 10-04-2010 at 01:53 PM.