Maxpedition - Bags and Packs

Thread: Beamshots at 100 feet - outside - 19 lights

Lightbulb Beamshots at 100 feet - outside - 19 lights

More beamshots here:
    Beamshots at 100 feet - outside - Quark Update

I recently participated in the RA-100-WWCN passaround. Thanks Enzo!
    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=191278
    One of the main reasons for the passaround was to see what a warm white led looks like and to share our thoughts.

Well one thing led to another and I ended up with beamshots of 19 different lights, led, incandecent and HID. Here are my results. Please let me know what you think.

All photos were taken with my camera on a tripod at about 4 1/2 feet high, white balance set to direct sunlight and exposed for 10 seconds at f8. I held the lights above the camera and aimed the center of the beam at a reflective stake 100 feet away between 2 small trees. There is a second stake at 50 feet where the green grass ends and brown leaves begin. It is more distinct as a separate stake in the photos where the stakes are offset from each other.

All lights used new primary batteries that measured 100% on a ZTS tester (except the POB which has a rechargeable battery).

continued in the next post...
    Last edited by Zot; 10-15-2009 at 04:34 AM.

Lightbulb Re: Beamshots at 100 feet

More beamshots at 100 feet.

The Quadstar would be even brighter on NiMH batteries!

Default Re: Beamshots at 100 feet

Thanks for all the awesome beamshots! Nice to see the L4 still holding it's own! the one of the X5 reminds me of how much it light it DOESN'T put out...but it's still tough as nails, and my second real light, so it will stay in my collection. Thanks again for the great beam shots!

While scrolling down the pics, I was thinking that a shot during a sunny day would be nice to evaluate what we're really looking at...until I saw the Power on Board HID.

excellent work!!

Great pics-thank you for posting.That POB looks like it's going to ignite those trees.LOL
    My girlfriend said if I bought one more light she would leave me...........I'm sure gonna miss her.

Quote Originally Posted by ANDREAS FERRARI View Post
    Great pics-thank you for posting.That POB looks like it's going to ignite those trees.LOL
    Yeah no kidding
    I hope you had a fire extinguisher handy.

Excellent work,it's threads like this that really get my attention.
    Take care

Flashaholic*
    below polar circle.. in country which used to make nokia phones.

POB picture: what happened to the stakes? i cant see no stakes

nice to see beamshots like these.
    *MaKiNG SeNSe iS NOT My PRioRiTy* *One is None, Two is One, But Butter is Better*
    *Flashaholism: DeeP DaRK HoLe im falling into, glad that I have my flashlights to light the way.*

Very nice job. I'm liking that M60F.
    U2A--D10--Stanley HID

Default Re: Beamshots at 100 feet - outside

nice beamshots, like the phaser...
    it's just different on my planet..

Yes. I had forgotten just how bright the Quadstar phaser is, even with Alkaline batteries. Someday I will have to find some C NiMH to run in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by YAK-28 View Post
    nice beamshots, like the phaser...

Great beamshots, thanks.

I also like that Malkoff M60F.

And that little Amilite T5 isn't too bad, either. Remember that's 1 x CR123a light, about the size of a SureFire Backup.

Though both the M60 amd the Amilite show that we really need some more warm-tinted LED emitters!
    If we could get everyone in the world to close their eyes and imagine world peace for an hour, think about how serene it would be until the looting started. -Unknown

Ace beamshots, thanks it is so helpfull when people post up beamshots as that's what it's all about after all.
    I do like the phaser 3c.
    tabetha

Default Re: Beamshots at 100 feet - outside - 19 lights

Great shots, very helpful. Thanks.

Interesting how just the slightest bit of focus gives the X5 a lot more throw than the Zebralight.

Also, I can't really see any difference in color rendition between the EX10 with Cree and with the GD+.

Cool stuff.
    The best weapon in the world is a flashlight. . . . Why? . . . So you can look deep into the other guy's eyes.

Great beamshots Zot .
    That PoB HID looks like it might start a fire if you are not careful .

E.T.A. That P1D CE really puts out for such a small light.
    Last edited by chaoss; 04-17-2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: added info
    Happiness is having a high rate of fire .

Thanks for all the excellent real world beam shots! 10 seconds seems like a fairly long exposure but would you say what you see in the pics is fairly representative of what you see with you eyes when making the beamshots? Do you know what ISO setting your camera was set on (if it has that option). I'm asking this only so I can take some night beam shots in the future where I plan on comparing a few unique lights I've got.
    There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Almine

I tried to get an accurate representation on the beams. I used a Nikon D70s set to ISO 400 and zoomed to 22mm.

If I had shot f4 instead of f8 I would have only exposed for 2.5 seconds to get the same exposure, but the depth of field would be less. Since I wanted to show to show the beams at 100 feet I used a smaller f-stop to show a larger area in focus.

Quote Originally Posted by matrixshaman View Post
    Thanks for all the excellent real world beam shots! 10 seconds seems like a fairly long exposure but would you say what you see in the pics is fairly representative of what you see with you eyes when making the beamshots? Do you know what ISO setting your camera was set on (if it has that option). I'm asking this only so I can take some night beam shots in the future where I plan on comparing a few unique lights I've got.

I've got a Nikon D70 too (but not the s model) - great cameras. Thanks for the help! Now if I can just get some time to do beam shots. I want to compare my new HDS U60 M with a P7 and taskled driver pushing around 3 amps through it (estimated 600 Lumens) to some other lights. This thing lights up a huge area at a distance and I think some night beam shots with a fairly wide angle will show the real 'wow' factor it has.
    There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Almine

Flashaholic*

Zot,
    Great work, very useful comparison beamshots. I'm sorry if I missed it in the thread but I was wondering about how was the white balance set on your camera? Was it auto white balance or did you have it set on a manual preset? It looks like the white balance was consistent from shot to shot and shows the differences between the colors of the lights outputs/ Thanks again for the great shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Zot View Post
    I tried to get an accurate representation on the beams. I used a Nikon D70s set to ISO 400 and zoomed to 22mm.

If I had shot f4 instead of f8 I would have only exposed for 2.5 seconds to get the same exposure, but the depth of field would be less. Since I wanted to show to show the beams at 100 feet I used a smaller f-stop to show a larger area in focus.

Great beamshots! While I also likethe Malkoff the best, I also really liked the Ra 100.
    "I only smile in the dark...my only comfort is the night gone black..."lyrics from Garbage

Mike,
    I used the white balance set to direct sunlight. These beam shots started out as part of the RA-100-WWCN passaround. It has a warm white (WW) emitter and I started comparing its tint to some of the other lights I have.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Zot,
    Great work, very useful comparison beamshots. I'm sorry if I missed it in the thread but I was wondering about how was the white balance set on your camera? Was it auto white balance or did you have it set on a manual preset? It looks like the white balance was consistent from shot to shot and shows the differences between the colors of the lights outputs/ Thanks again for the great shots.

Well finding the time is the hardest part. I would suggest optimizing your exposure for the P7 since it is so bright and then use the same exposure for the other lights.

The great thing about digital cameras is you can see right away if the exposure is what you want and make corrections right then if necessary.
    PM me if you want discuss in more detail. I would be happy to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by matrixshaman View Post
    I've got a Nikon D70 too (but not the s model) - great cameras. Thanks for the help! Now if I can just get some time to do beam shots. I want to compare my new HDS U60 M with a P7 and taskled driver pushing around 3 amps through it (estimated 600 Lumens) to some other lights. This thing lights up a huge area at a distance and I think some night beam shots with a fairly wide angle will show the real 'wow' factor it has.

Thanks Zot.