• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Q: Shark + Remora & Low Vin protection

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
Putting together my first build with Sharks and Remora. Using unprotected cells (IMR in carrier, possibly high draw NiMH in pack as spare). Looking for suggestions for how to protect batteries and sharks from low battery voltage.

Do the blue sharks have any sort of built-in load protection? (I'm guessing no.) I assume they will be damaged if the battery voltage drops so low that the load exceeds the max (4A per shark?). In all likelyhood, depleted cells probably wouldn't be able to deliver enough current at low Vin to overload the Sharks, right? I suppose my main concern should be protecting the health of the batteries?

What are my options for avoiding catastrophe if the light were left on until the batteries were drained beyond minimum spec voltage? Does the shoppe sell a low Vin protection circuit or am I overthinking this?

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have thought about this and could make a new Remora that would add this feature.

When the Remora was conceived all features were dropped except for the three levels of brightness to keep the UI very simple.

You have a valid concern. Currently it up to the user to keep tabs on the battery level and replace them before they get fully depleted.

The control line that the Remora drives could have another thing that monitors battery voltage and possibly temperature and shut down the Blue Shark when appropriate. Nothing on the Shoppe is available at the moment that does this.

Wayne