SYSMAX Ind./Clike to find more about Nitecore flashlights!

View Poll Results: Which one?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brunton Storm

3 18.75%
  • Zippo + ZPlus

0 0%
  • Something Else

13 81.25%

Thread: Firemakers?

Default Firemakers?

http://www.opticsplanet.net/brunton-...ter-storm.html

http://www.roundtablegifts.com/bzzp100.html

Both are good deals for the product. Both are respectable-looking, and have (AFAIK) good reputations for reliability and performance. Both probably need to be no more waterproof than handling a good hard rain while in a pocket; if they need to be used while in the rain, well, that's never happened (yet) - I don't smoke, and I've never been pushed into a pool.

Your thoughts? Got any ideas that I didn't notice when doing my initial search?

Default Re: Firemakers?

What are you gonna use it for? For stuff like camping I recommend a ferro rod. The z-plus is cool but the piezn wears out. Try a zippo blu.

Both of the options you listed would be unnecessarily complex in a survival situation, where the simplicity and reliability of a basic Firesteel would work just as well..

Flashaholic*

Like mentioned, what for? While firesteel is fun to play with when you got the time, for camping I'd just bring a plain zippo or a bic.

Flashaholic

I tried a plain zippo and it didn't really work when I was camping. I recently got a ronson jet lite at Canadian tire for 6 bucks and it's the perfect thing for camping. I can direct the flame almost directly downward and light paper 2-3 inches away. great lighter for anything.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jzmtl View Post
    While firesteel is fun to play with when you got the time, for camping I'd just bring a plain zippo or a bic.
    I guarantee you that I can start a fire quicker with my ferro rod than I can with a zippo.

How much time do YOU save with a zippo over a ferro rod?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by wacbzz View Post
    I guarantee you that I can start a fire quicker with my ferro rod than I can with a zippo.

How much time do YOU save with a zippo over a ferro rod?
    Well, looks like you need practice firemaking with zippo instead.

As for time saved, maybe a minute, more or less depends on if I have prepared tinder or have to make wood shavings from scratch. But sometimes I don't want to deal with the hassle when I'm tired.

Firesteel, flint, Ronson jet, Zippo lighter
    Petrol Jelly cotten balls, magnesium powder, wetfire, birch, oil cloth

After you talk to cutlerylover for too long, you start carrying more fire making tools than the buttons on your shirt

Banned

Well, looks like you need practice firemaking with zippo instead.

As for time saved, maybe a minute, more or less depends on if I have prepared tinder or have to make wood shavings from scratch. But sometimes I don't want to deal with the hassle when I'm tired.
    Actually, it looks like you need some brushing up on how to use a ferro rod if you save a minute using a zippo. You still need the same tinder using both options. With the ferro rod, strike once, and sit back. With the zippo, flick, blow, hope it catches, and if not, repeat ad naseum.

And just so you know, I'm not talking about using a firesteel and flint. I'm talking about a ferro rod. BIG difference. I could see why using a zippo would be better than a firesteel and flint.

Flashaholic*

Not sure why would you use the same tinder with zippo and firesteel. I light up a small stick and go from there, can't do that with flint. My zippo always light up 90% of the time on first strike, never more than two or three.
    Last edited by jzmtl; 04-18-2009 at 08:00 PM.

Banned

Not sure why would you use the same tinder with zippo and flint. I light up a small stick and go from there, can't do that with flint. My zippo always light up 90% of the time on first strike, never more than two or three.
    As mentioned above, I'm not talking about using a flint. We are waaaay past the early times of man.

How long does it take you to light a small stick with a zippo? Seriously. Talk about a waste of fuel. And as for your 90% ratio, let's hope your zippo never gets wet...

And for the OP, while you haven't been camping in the rain yet, give it time. It will happen. Then you'd better hope you have something better than a zippo lighter.

Flashaholic*

Yeah I know you are talking about firesteel. I mean we are talking about camping after all not stranded in the backwoods and lost, waste of fuel and getting wet isn't really a concern.

Banned

Cool. It's all good bro. I think we are all trying to tell the OP that he should be as prepared as possible when going out.

As if he didn't learn that from here anyways concerning flashlights!

Flashaholic*

That's for sure. I always bring firesteel even if I don't use it (and unfortunately none of the people I know is into making fire with flint type of thing, heck they'd haul their house with them if they could).

The lighter is a generic EDC, not for camping. R@ndom, I've heard very bad things about the Zippo Blu, and among others, the flint's not replaceable. I've never worn out a piezo lighter, but I have killed a flint before on a knockaround zippoid.

Re: intended purpose and survival situations, this is not EOTW gear, nor is it for camping. Mostly it's for lighting candles, fuses, heat-shrink tubing, and maybe a charcoal barbecue with a non-lighter-fluid method. I also anticipate lighting less than five cigarettes with it over the course of the next century, though zero is a better estimate.

Flashaholic*

I'm in the exacly situation, don't smoke but carry a lighter for utility. I just carry my plain zippo, fill it up every weekend.

Flashaholic*

I prefer a plain old Zippo for camping.
    -Normal butane lighters are unreliable at high altitudes (they have a hard time lighting around 8000ft and are pretty much useless at 12000ft). Most torch lighters are even worse. I used to have a special high altitude torch lighter, but it was confiscated by TSA.
    -Firesteel is fine for end of the world type of situations. But a hot shower of sparks is not my idea of user friendly. Try lighting a cigarette with that!
    -I find the easiest way to start a fire is to use a bit of the white gas from the cooking stove or Zippo lighter fluid. Some people are purists and want to slowly build a fire from dry grass and twigs. That's fine, but when I'm tired and just want to get a fire started, nothing's going to start a fire like a dousing of gasoline. Sounds like cheating, huh? Well, if you are packing along cotton balls soaked in vasoline or other pre-made tinder, I'd make the argument you are cheating too. White gas can also be used to refill a Zippo in a pinch. Zippo lighter fluid can also be used to fuel some stoves too.

The only drawback of the Zippo is that you have to refill it every so often and it doesn't smell very good for daily use.

I usually let the Zippo go long enough that there's been some period of time where it wouldn't light where I'd been carrying it, expecting it to work. I don't want that when my car's rolled over in a ditch in the ass-end of nowhere and I'm suffering from hypothermia.

Edit: also, I live in the American southeast. There is no high altitude here without airplanes. There's probably no hypothermia here without... rain in the middle of winter? Regardless...
    Last edited by Chrontius; 04-19-2009 at 12:12 AM.

Flashaholic*

Use any decent lighter or fire steel but also have backup.

As for buying tinder strips or tinder balls, just put some lint from the dryer filter in a plastic bag and get some Vaseline - cheap and it works as well or even better.

Take the time to learn how to make fire sticks/bundles or to prepare other tinder that will work when it's wet out if you don't already know how since that can save your life. Try it at least once even if it is only so you can say you've done it.

By the way, using gasoline or white gas to start a fire is dangerous enough to just be plain stupid, especially miles away from a burn unit. It only takes a second to screw it up. The pain of the burns and the way people will look at you for the rest of your life is not worth it. Plus I guarantee the smell of your burnt flesh will make your friends puke and while that's an amusing thought there are easier ways. Don't be another dumb crispy critter.
    "Show them a light, and they'll follow it anywhere..."

Quote Originally Posted by Chrontius View Post
    The lighter is a generic EDC, not for camping. R@ndom, I've heard very bad things about the Zippo Blu, and among others, the flint's not replaceable. I've never worn out a piezo lighter, but I have killed a flint before on a knockaround zippoid.

Re: intended purpose and survival situations, this is not EOTW gear, nor is it for camping. Mostly it's for lighting candles, fuses, heat-shrink tubing, and maybe a charcoal barbecue with a non-lighter-fluid method. I also anticipate lighting less than five cigarettes with it over the course of the next century, though zero is a better estimate.
    my sigline is so useful sometimes. Personally I fail at starting fires. It took me an forever with a 1/2 inch firesteel on a 35c and dry day with proper tinder. Then I got bored so with the help of kerosene meant for a lantern and a blu-flame lighter from dx I finally got it going.
    I find the w&ss section on bladeforums is helpful.

Lesson learnt: do not go camping with myself.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by chmsam View Post
    By the way, using gasoline or white gas to start a fire is dangerous enough to just be plain stupid, especially miles away from a burn unit. It only takes a second to screw it up. The pain of the burns and the way people will look at you for the rest of your life is not worth it. Plus I guarantee the smell of your burnt flesh will make your friends puke and while that's an amusing thought there are easier ways. Don't be another dumb crispy critter.
    Ever start a charcoal BBQ before? Or prime a white gas stove? It's kind of the same thing. I'll admit these aren't the safest activities in the world, but a small amount of fuel applied before lighting really helps out with damp leaves and wood.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    Ever start a charcoal BBQ before? Or prime a white gas stove? It's kind of the same thing. I'll admit these aren't the safest activities in the world, but a small amount of fuel applied before lighting really helps out with damp leaves and wood.
    No, really, you can do that? Wow. I've only been cooking and grilling for 40+ years but what do I know? I don't do that myself but maybe that's because charcoal started with any fluid lets you taste and ingest lots of petrochemicals and well, it just plain sucks, too. I will say that burned flesh does have its own distinctive aroma around the campfire though but it does tend to put some folks off their appetite. Dogs seem to like it though.

I've used a camp stove but still like a fire. Every once in awhile some folks try using a chimney stater and some paper because:
    1). it works in 10 minutes,
    2). there's no crappy taste,
    3). it gets rid of waste paper,
    4). it's safer and only takes one match,
    5). you don't ingest or inhale petrochemicals, and
    6). it's low tech and less work, too.

Of course since I'm an just a know nothing old fart and don't have much more than 30 or 40 years experience camping and backpacking (most above the treeline and never left a trace, does that count?) or with burns. Well, come to think of it, I have seen more than one or two serious second degree, the getting kinda crunchy stuff type burns caused by, well whadda ya know!... using gasoline and white fuel (and caused by far less than a Dixie cup full), but that probably doesn't count either. I'm really OK with that.

Heck, kid, people can do whatever they want and it's no skin off my butt. I'll try to help folks out for a little bit but after that stupid people are gonna get laughed at no matter how deep their pain. They aren't what I'd call innocent victims any longer so I don't care about them too much -- especially the ones who had others trying to help them in the first place but just ended up being rude.
    Last edited by chmsam; 04-19-2009 at 10:13 AM.
    "Show them a light, and they'll follow it anywhere..."

I voted something else. There's a Bic in my pocket at all times(I don't smoke). The Bic will cover 99% of my firestarting needs and the ferro rod on my keys is a nice backup. The ferro rod is covered with heat shrink tubing to protect the rod, and so that the keys don't strike any sparks from it while it's in my pocket.

The equipment on my trucks includes lots of other options too. Water/windproof lifeboat matches, waterproofed strike-anywhere matches, steel wool, candles, MRE's, water, TP, medical stuff(Note that this is not just first aid, a first aid kit is meant to stabilize a person long enough for an ambulance to get there, that takes longer when you're 25 miles from the nearest paved road.), soap, etc etc etc. The distance I'm going from civilization and if I'm alone is what determines how much gear I carry on my person. If I wander away from my truck to take a leak, trip, and slide down a hill, I could wind up 500 feet away from most of my survival gear with a steep muddy hill and a broken leg to impede my progress back. What I have in the truck may not matter, what's on my person could be all I've got.

I've found that trying to aim the shower of sparks from a ferro rod or flint steel is a pretty chancy affair. I prefer to pinch the tinder between the rod and the striker so that there's pretty much nowhere for the sparks to go but into the tinder. It takes some practice to hold the striker, tinder, and ferro rod right, but makes a fire much more reliably. Less picky about how dry the tinder is, too.

Whatever equipment you carry, make sure the first time you use it is NOT when you're out of cellphone coverage, injured, in pain, and in dangerous cold.

Last edited by Diesel_Bomber; 04-19-2009 at 03:17 PM.
    Got Biodiesel?

Swedish Firesteel

Always work for me (while camping, of course... I´ll not light someone´s cigarrete with a firesteel...)!

"I LOVE THE SMELL OF LITHIUM BATTERIES IN THE MORNING..." - Kilgore