Firemakers?

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.opticsplanet.net/brunton-windproof-sealable-lighter-storm.html

http://www.roundtablegifts.com/bzzp100.html

Both are good deals for the product. Both are respectable-looking, and have (AFAIK) good reputations for reliability and performance. Both probably need to be no more waterproof than handling a good hard rain while in a pocket; if they need to be used while in the rain, well, that's never happened (yet) - I don't smoke, and I've never been pushed into a pool.

Your thoughts? Got any ideas that I didn't notice when doing my initial search?

R@ndom

Enlightened
What are you gonna use it for? For stuff like camping I recommend a ferro rod. The z-plus is cool but the piezn wears out. Try a zippo blu.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Both of the options you listed would be unnecessarily complex in a survival situation, where the simplicity and reliability of a basic Firesteel would work just as well..

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like mentioned, what for? While firesteel is fun to play with when you got the time, for camping I'd just bring a plain zippo or a bic.

andrew123

Newly Enlightened
I tried a plain zippo and it didn't really work when I was camping. I recently got a ronson jet lite at Canadian tire for 6 bucks and it's the perfect thing for camping. I can direct the flame almost directly downward and light paper 2-3 inches away. great lighter for anything.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guarantee you that I can start a fire quicker with my ferro rod than I can with a zippo.

How much time do YOU save with a zippo over a ferro rod?:thinking:

Well, looks like you need practice firemaking with zippo instead. :p :laughing:

As for time saved, maybe a minute, more or less depends on if I have prepared tinder or have to make wood shavings from scratch. But sometimes I don't want to deal with the hassle when I'm tired.

Illum

Flashaholic
Firesteel, flint, Ronson jet, Zippo lighter
Petrol Jelly cotten balls, magnesium powder, wetfire, birch, oil cloth

After you talk to cutlerylover for too long, you start carrying more fire making tools than the buttons on your shirt:rolleyes:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, looks like you need practice firemaking with zippo instead. :p :laughing:

As for time saved, maybe a minute, more or less depends on if I have prepared tinder or have to make wood shavings from scratch. But sometimes I don't want to deal with the hassle when I'm tired.

Actually, it looks like you need some brushing up on how to use a ferro rod if you save a minute using a zippo.:whistle: You still need the same tinder using both options. With the ferro rod, strike once, and sit back. With the zippo, flick, blow, hope it catches, and if not, repeat ad naseum.

And just so you know, I'm not talking about using a firesteel and flint. I'm talking about a ferro rod. BIG difference. I could see why using a zippo would be better than a firesteel and flint.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure why would you use the same tinder with zippo and firesteel. I light up a small stick and go from there, can't do that with flint. My zippo always light up 90% of the time on first strike, never more than two or three.

Last edited:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure why would you use the same tinder with zippo and flint. I light up a small stick and go from there, can't do that with flint. My zippo always light up 90% of the time on first strike, never more than two or three.

As mentioned above, I'm not talking about using a flint. We are waaaay past the early times of man.

How long does it take you to light a small stick with a zippo? Seriously. Talk about a waste of fuel. And as for your 90% ratio, let's hope your zippo never gets wet...

And for the OP, while you haven't been camping in the rain yet, give it time. It will happen. Then you'd better hope you have something better than a zippo lighter.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I know you are talking about firesteel. I mean we are talking about camping after all not stranded in the backwoods and lost, waste of fuel and getting wet isn't really a concern.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool. It's all good bro. I think we are all trying to tell the OP that he should be as prepared as possible when going out.

As if he didn't learn that from here anyways concerning flashlights!:)

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's for sure. I always bring firesteel even if I don't use it (and unfortunately none of the people I know is into making fire with flint type of thing, heck they'd haul their house with them if they could).

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lighter is a generic EDC, not for camping. R@ndom, I've heard very bad things about the Zippo Blu, and among others, the flint's not replaceable. I've never worn out a piezo lighter, but I have killed a flint before on a knockaround zippoid.

Re: intended purpose and survival situations, this is not EOTW gear, nor is it for camping. Mostly it's for lighting candles, fuses, heat-shrink tubing, and maybe a charcoal barbecue with a non-lighter-fluid method. I also anticipate lighting less than five cigarettes with it over the course of the next century, though zero is a better estimate.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in the exacly situation, don't smoke but carry a lighter for utility. I just carry my plain zippo, fill it up every weekend.

brucec

Enlightened
I prefer a plain old Zippo for camping.
-Normal butane lighters are unreliable at high altitudes (they have a hard time lighting around 8000ft and are pretty much useless at 12000ft). Most torch lighters are even worse. I used to have a special high altitude torch lighter, but it was confiscated by TSA.
-Firesteel is fine for end of the world type of situations. But a hot shower of sparks is not my idea of user friendly. Try lighting a cigarette with that!
-I find the easiest way to start a fire is to use a bit of the white gas from the cooking stove or Zippo lighter fluid. Some people are purists and want to slowly build a fire from dry grass and twigs. That's fine, but when I'm tired and just want to get a fire started, nothing's going to start a fire like a dousing of gasoline. Sounds like cheating, huh? Well, if you are packing along cotton balls soaked in vasoline or other pre-made tinder, I'd make the argument you are cheating too. White gas can also be used to refill a Zippo in a pinch. Zippo lighter fluid can also be used to fuel some stoves too.

The only drawback of the Zippo is that you have to refill it every so often and it doesn't smell very good for daily use.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually let the Zippo go long enough that there's been some period of time where it wouldn't light where I'd been carrying it, expecting it to work. I don't want that when my car's rolled over in a ditch in the ***-end of nowhere and I'm suffering from hypothermia.

Edit: also, I live in the American southeast. There is no high altitude here without airplanes. There's probably no hypothermia here without... rain in the middle of winter? Regardless...

Last edited:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use any decent lighter or fire steel but also have backup.

As for buying tinder strips or tinder balls, just put some lint from the dryer filter in a plastic bag and get some Vaseline - cheap and it works as well or even better.

Take the time to learn how to make fire sticks/bundles or to prepare other tinder that will work when it's wet out if you don't already know how since that can save your life. Try it at least once even if it is only so you can say you've done it.

By the way, using gasoline or white gas to start a fire is dangerous enough to just be plain stupid, especially miles away from a burn unit. It only takes a second to screw it up. The pain of the burns and the way people will look at you for the rest of your life is not worth it. Plus I guarantee the smell of your burnt flesh will make your friends puke and while that's an amusing thought there are easier ways. Don't be another dumb crispy critter.

R@ndom

Enlightened
The lighter is a generic EDC, not for camping. R@ndom, I've heard very bad things about the Zippo Blu, and among others, the flint's not replaceable. I've never worn out a piezo lighter, but I have killed a flint before on a knockaround zippoid.

Re: intended purpose and survival situations, this is not EOTW gear, nor is it for camping. Mostly it's for lighting candles, fuses, heat-shrink tubing, and maybe a charcoal barbecue with a non-lighter-fluid method. I also anticipate lighting less than five cigarettes with it over the course of the next century, though zero is a better estimate.

:oops: my sigline is so useful sometimes. Personally I fail at starting fires. It took me an forever with a 1/2 inch firesteel on a 35c and dry day with proper tinder. Then I got bored so with the help of kerosene meant for a lantern and a blu-flame lighter from dx I finally got it going.
I find the w&ss section on bladeforums is helpful.

Lesson learnt: do not go camping with myself.