PEAK
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the 007 Tri-V CPF

Default Re: Introducing the 007 Tri-V CPF

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    What about an RGB type light, if you're going to have 3 emitters?

Would it be possible to have them coming on separately as well as coming on together with different intensities
    to create white light of differing color temperatures that can be selected by the user?

Or this is just a pipe dream?
    It is very possible to build such a light but, you would not be happy with just three colored emitters. It would be three colors coming from three different directions. All the shadows would be colored. It would look lousy.

It really requires a single emitter with thirty micro sized die closely packed into an RGB dot matrix to make this usable. They have yet to offer such an emitter. But when they do . . .

Cheers
    Dave

Dave, if you want me to print one out on my 3d printer and bring it to pf12 let me know

rotflmao!

but it'll be plastic! poor heat dissipation!

Whoa, Dave!
    You've done it again. Now make it happen.
    See you at PF
    I'm glad it is dark, half of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 4sevens View Post
    Dave, if you want me to print one out on my 3d printer and bring it to pf12 let me know
    Hey, it will be just like old times! I am glad to know you are going to make it, see you there.

Cheers
    Dave

Flashaholic*

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rudi
    Titanium or 7075?

Quote Originally Posted by Data View Post
    Rudi,

It could be either but titanium is the default. If it was 7075 it would not be anodized! If it was 6061 ano is an option but don't hold your breath because that requires me to rewrite my machining operation and in doing so would cost even more than the Ti.

What is your preference?
    There is no perfect light but my 007 is near perfect for me. I use it a lot. What would make it perfect would be if it were slightly lighter.
    The description of the 007 Tri-V would suggest that it may be a bit heavier than the 007, being larger and more complicated. Which led me to inquire about making it available in 7075 aluminum (no anodize). It would have to weigh not too much over 100 grams with cells, though, to make it an interesting alternative (or companion) to the default.
    The properties and feel of 7075 are superior to 6061, otherwise it wouldn't cost twice as much. Many years back (the date on the piece is stamped 1962) I turned a 9" bar of 7075 into a set of -- wait for it -- bongo drums. They look (and sound) great. I still have them, and still admire the "feel" of 7075. Throughout my flasaholism I've been surprised that 7075 is rarely, if ever, used.
    Last edited by Rudi; 05-03-2009 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rudi
    Titanium or 7075?

There is no perfect light but my 007 is near perfect for me. I use it a lot. What would make it perfect would be if it were slightly lighter.
    The description of the 007 Tri-V would suggest that it may be a bit heavier than the 007, being larger and more complicated. Which led me to inquire about making it available in 7075 aluminum (no anodize). It would have to weigh not too much over 100 grams with cells, though, to make it an interesting alternative (or companion) to the default.
    The properties and feel of 7075 are superior to 6061, otherwise it wouldn't cost twice as much. Many years back (the date on the piece is stamped 1962) I turned a 9" bar of 7075 into a set of -- wait for it -- bongo drums. They look (and sound) great. I still have them, and still admire the "feel" of 7075. Throughout my flasaholism I've been surprised that 7575 is rarely, if ever, used.

I am glad to hear you are enjoying your 007.

My computer tells me that the Tri-V would only weigh a few grams more than the standard 007.

I made lots of stuff from 7075 back in the old days too. It was hard to find for quite a few years but it is back. IIRC two 005's were made of 7075 too.

I have been thinking about running some 7075 through the 007 mill just for fun. The knob needs to be titanium though, that process and part are designed around it.

Cheers
    Dave

Looks pretty awesome Data. Hope to see it at PF13. :P
    Facebook: Wade Fulp - Follow me on Twitter! @flashlightguy and my main feed @WadeFulp Google+ PROFILE

Quote Originally Posted by WadeF View Post
    Looks pretty awesome Data. Hope to see it at PF13. :P
    Well I can't make any promises because that is only a few "months" away!

Now I should say that because you only live 20 min. from my house that you should come over and help me finish this thing before PF12.

In any case, I hope to see you there.

Cheers
    Dave

I would like to see it in a Bi-V version also. Less the middle range emitter. I would think it would be the most practical for me using the different ranges of the MC-E flood 90+% of the time. I would definitely get one in warm and neutral.

The Tri-V is definitely a light for the "guy who has everything". The Bi-V would look cleaner sans the side emitter.

Personally, i would say go with the Tri version as it stretches the envelope of flashlight design.

Flashaholic*

All great ideas, thanks. A two emitter head may happen down the line. I invested in the STFu MK-II just for this very reason. It affords me the option to build out a lot of different scenarios. I know what folding all this into the SPY would do to its expense. The two emitter layout would be much more manageable.

The 90 degree head flood is a fun solution. I opted to point all the emitters forward so you would not have to reposition the light as you were going through the levels. But your idea would be great as a table lamp.
    It's great to hear that you are considering the two-emitter head. I hope it is the normal reflector (or TIR) + flood, as I have no real use for an aspheric. Emitters at 90 degrees or both pointing forward, it's all good. Sign me up!

Gee Dave, appears as though you may have stirred up just a tad of interest in this...wadaya think? With a bit more R&D (rest and dollars) I'll be stalking the elusive Arizona scorpions and reading star charts and who knows what doncha know!!! Yaaaaahooooo!!! And....I ain't got EVERYTHING--"gimme" one of these!!!
    By the by...like the design change here too!

Karl
    Last edited by karlthev; 04-24-2009 at 05:39 AM.

starfiretoo, brucec, karlthev

Two emitter versions with normal 007 lines are surly going to be the standard. This "concept" Tri-V CPF light is as it should be, pushing the limits of practicality and form. When I first saw the proto with with the cylinder hanging off the side I thought, wow that is fun. Keep in mind I am coming from that been there place where it is now an exploration and different is the call of the day.

Cheers
    Dave

It is very possible to build such a light but, you would not be happy with just three colored emitters. It would be three colors coming from three different directions. All the shadows would be colored. It would look lousy.

It really requires a single emitter with thirty micro sized die closely packed into an RGB dot matrix to make this usable. They have yet to offer such an emitter. But when they do . . .

Cheers
    Dave
    Thanks for answering patiently. I knew it was probably too simplistic to be viable in a pleasing way.

Anyways, your Tri_V concept looks fantastic.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

Two emitter versions with normal 007 lines are surly going to be the standard.

I can't wait to see the two emitter 007's!
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post

I can't wait to see the two emitter 007's!
    I'd be careful about that. Remember its bi!
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

Introducing the 007 Tri-V CPF

The SPY 007 Tri-V CPF is a new concept light that I am currently prototyping, testing and considering. It is made from the standard SPY 007 light but with a new head and converter board. The standard 007 with a Seoul P4 emitter (007s) and the standard 007 with a Cree XR-E emitter (007c) that I have previously produced are currently in production. They are unaffected by this Tri-V exploration.

The Tri-V CPF has Triple Variable Color, Power, and Focus. This is not the first three variable light but it is taking this to a new level for such a small EDC. PK had a goal for a single flashlight that was to be able to vary the color, power and focus. I took that and combined it with what Don has done to create this Tri-V.

The Tri-V is still controlled by the 7 position rotary switch but with a new converter. There are three emitters in this light; a modified Cree XR-E, a Cree XP-E and a Cree MC-E. The Tri-V CPF will vary the color output from warm white to neutral white to cold white while varying the focus from a very wide 180 degree smooth flood to a typical flashlight reflector spot with spill to a tight 4 degree beam aspheric throw. All of this will transition while going through the 6 power levels.

The warm white flood is like a candle flame or campfire. It is a very inviting light to fill a room with. The neutral white is a higher CRI color like an over driven incan. It is a good overall color for a flashlight with a nice balance between throw and spill. Finally the cold white is a piercing high color temperature bluish-white providing maximum lumen output, maximum penetration in the night air and maximum throw.

The new STFu MK-II can switch between up to 3 emitters or emitter banks and it can run all the way up to 3A (14 watts). At that power, it has unlimited run time. However, due to heat dissipation limitations of the emitters in the tiny 007, it will be programmed with a timed auto cut back at those ultra levels. The SPY is a small EDC and that is not changing and nor are the laws of thermodynamics.

The Tri-V is about 0.2” thicker than the standard 007. The other two dimensions are mostly unchanged. This is a no compromise concept design with a head that is nearly as complicated as the body is. I am not pulling any punches here; it is as much as I can make it while still fitting the EDC mantra. This first pic is a teaser. It is only the side of the light. I am working on more pics and will get them up soon.

Cheers
    Dave
    I understand it takes time for this project to become reality and I'll wait (impatiently) for it. In a meantime when can we expect the standard 007s and 007c that "are currently in production"available? Thank you for your hard work.

I have something really cool to report! For the last week I have not been very happy with the largish layout of the MC-E area of the head. Karl was bugging me about it and so was my wife. It just never looked right with it coming down over the knob the way it did. I really wanted the MC-E and did not want to switch to a smaller emitter. So I took a closer look at it and found a way to fix it! I am so stoked now with the way the three emitters are clustered.

this is the new design (to see the old design check the second post)

What I did was I loaded one of the MC-E emitters flipped on its back in my mill and with a tiny 1/32” endmill I cut the plastic away under the contacts on either side of the slug. I cut in far enough to reveal the contacts and then simply folded them all in under the emitter. This reduced the “footprint” of the emitter. See pics.

left emitter already cut, right emitter lined up with the cutter

look Mom, no legs

What this did was it allowed me to rotate the emitter 90 degrees and push it way up next to the aspheric. The internal wire routing simplified too.

As it turned out I was just about to cut the front side of the 7075 aluminum prototype head I have been working on all week. The programming was complete and I only needed to push go. Well I didn’t, I stopped dead in my tracks and decided to change the part while I still could. After machining one of the MC-E’s I had laying here and about 6 hours of changes to the solid model I think I have finally got it right. You all be the judge, see the pictures below. Karl said I can now stop, LOL.

I am going to move these pictures up to the second post and delete all those earlier rev pictures.

the other half of the head (not shown) fits in this back side and has the threads that interface to the body

there will be a cover around the MC-E, see CAD rendering above

that 1/32 endmill next to a .5mm pencil

Cheers
    Dave
    Last edited by Data; 04-25-2009 at 03:08 PM.

Looks like a lot of work, but the results are very nice. I like the new design.

That looks much better and I thought it looked good before. Your killing me with this. I'm just waiting to get one in my hands.
    Once things leave my hands I am not responsible for what happens.

Flashaholic*

Features and impatience aside, what I really like about your approach, Dave, is your "no compromise concept design".

duplicate
    Last edited by karlthev; 04-25-2009 at 03:15 PM.

All of who know Dave will realize that he credits others for his ingenious work, good modest guy that he is. As I (clearly!) recall, my "design suggestion" went something as this..."Gee Dave, dat 'ting looks funny stickin' out da front doncha tink"? I live in NE Pennsylvania and "Hs" have all but been eliminated from the local dlalect and some pronunciation flexibility added. Whether my speech is as I have presented will have to be determined by you when and if I speak with you. I digress....any and all designs presented here are solely the thought and production of "Data" and I suspect after this, Dave will be designing modifications to the Starship Enterprise! Go Dave go!!!!

Karl

Flashaholic*

Nice work. Looking forward to seeing more. Hope this comes to be a complete reality and I can get me a spy. Shouldn't it be a 009?
    -- CUE

Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    Nice work. Looking forward to seeing more. Hope this comes to be a complete reality and I can get me a spy. Shouldn't it be a 009?
    That is a good question.

To meet with my standard I only have to introduce a light in the year of its name.

To meet with my standard I only have to introduce a light in the year of its name.

If that's the case, I look forward to the Spy011, I should be in the black by then.

Flashaholic*

That is a good question.

Or name the light according to the calendar.

Quote Originally Posted by Long RunTime View Post
    I understand it takes time for this project to become reality and I'll wait (impatiently) for it. In a meantime when can we expect the standard 007s and 007c that "are currently in production"available? Thank you for your hard work.
    It will be a few weeks yet. I am making knobs right now and then it is on to the heads. Mike is making bodies and battery caps so we are getting there.

Cheers
    Dave

oh no !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very nice and good idea for this new one

Another Spy I need to acquire

I hope I could start to save before you put it on the market Dave

Flashaholic

Talking Re: Introducing the 007 Tri-V CPF

Me wantee one or two. I just hope I see the buy list in time...