Battery Junction
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the 007 Tri-V CPF

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**

Default Re: Introducing the 007 Tri-V CPF

Dave,

Love the progress pics and reading your thought processes on this. Very exciting that you already have proto parts in the works.

I have a 1/32" endmill for routing my logo into a ukulele headstock (which I've yet to do) - when it came, I thought the drill portion of it broke off, it's so thin!

john

Flashaholic*

I just re-read this thread. Besides having a totally unique look, this light may make everthing else I have obsolete. It covers every lighting need I can think of in one frame. I've had every other spy, I'm definitely in for one or two of these. Aluminum would be nice. Even now, I find that I prefer to carry a lighter weight upgraded 005 rather than the heavier 007.
    ::I don't always carry a flashlight, but when I do, I prefer Tri-V. Stay illuminated my friends::

Quote Originally Posted by Data View Post
    It will be a few weeks yet. I am making knobs right now and then it is on to the heads. Mike is making bodies and battery caps so we are getting there.

Cheers
    Dave
    I might have to get these 007 first, I have a feeling these Tri-V CPF will have a price tag >$1,500

Quote Originally Posted by Long RunTime View Post
    I might have to get these 007 first, I have a feeling these Tri-V CPF will have a price tag >$1,500
    guess I need to start saving

hopefully they will not arrive to soon. a beautiful flashlight Data.

Did I read somewhere/something about optics in this new light?!?!

MSax
    Last edited by MSaxatilus; 05-08-2009 at 12:21 PM.
    I wish I could afford a BarnBurner!

Cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water..... Our shark.

It seems I could hardly sleep on it now. Drawing me dangerously close... must keep myself from coming in to dave's forum...
    Arc4+ mods/repair. LED drop in for SF E-Series. Onion Rings for SF A2.

Flashaholic*

This forum is the bug zapper to my wallets moth.
    ::I don't always carry a flashlight, but when I do, I prefer Tri-V. Stay illuminated my friends::

You got to be kidding me. Talk about the ultimate light. Nice work so far.
    Too many lights! Stop me!

The Tri-V prototype did make it to the photon fest, but just barely. I finished it that afternoon. If you want to see a pic of the finished head, look at Wade's Twitter in the PF12 thread. It is not the best pic so I will be getting some shots done soon and post them here.

That was Saturday and since then I have been thinking about all the great feedback I got there. I was genuinely surprised but the bottom line is that they think I should make some of these. I take it from the response here some of you agree.

From my playing with and carrying it around for the last week I am liking it too, especially the aspheric. We went driving in the country (we live in the country so we did not have to go far ) and it worked great as a deer spotter. I switched back and forth between the regular reflector head and the aspheric, what a treat to have such throw in an EDC. I do not like blowing my own horn so that is all I will say about this.

For now I will continue to refine this concept and bounce all the ideas and design changes off of you guys and lets just see where it goes.

There are quite a few details to work out before I can decide if this can be turned into a product. Most just deal with assembly issues and finishing off the lens on the reflector head.

One more thing, most people want a shroud/bezel to protect the MC-E dome. I have decided it would be nice to have too. Also, the shroud could act as a shield to push more of the light to one direction. I am thinking of something like a shield they used to put on car headlights many years ago. Any thoughts?

Cheers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by MSaxatilus View Post
    Did I read somewhere/something about optics in this new light?!?!

MSax
    If I make one for you, I will pull that precision ground glass dual optical coated aspheric out of yours and replace it with a plastic TIR.

With a "little" modification you cound fit all three light sources under one lens, making assambly easier, too.

Great concept. A revolutionary light.
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiessling View Post
    With a "little" modification you cound fit all three light sources under one lens, making assambly easier, too.

Great concept. A revolutionary light.
    bernie, it is funny you say that cuz I keep thinking that too but as I push for the details it gets so complicated.

You know I'm down for one. If I remember correctly the old cars had a chrome ring that was placed over part of the headlight. I think Volkswagon used them on the bugs. I think that would give the Spy a really nice look. Can't wait to see more.
    Once things leave my hands I am not responsible for what happens.

I am thinking of the chrome 'peak' or 'eyebrow' that sat at the top of the headlight?

I am definitely up for one of these. I love the 'weird' looking layout, all the leds under one lens would be clever but far too 'normal'

Yea, that could look good. I will draw the eyelid up in CAD and post a pic so we can see if it goes.

Sure wanted to see this in the flesh today but, too many commitments to get over your way... I remember the eyelids.....

Karl

So, wheres the record button??

That light looks like it's standard issue for all new Borg inductees. I know, Star Trek Geek!
    "Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place". John Bender, The Breakfast Club

Flashaholic* UnderTheWeepingMoon's Avatar

I just sold my 005 earlier in the week and am putting away a little bit each week for this light. I'm already missing the 005. Hopefully I'll have enough saved by the time this light is ready for release.
    .:: My Lights ::.

bernie, it is funny you say that cuz I keep thinking that too but as I push for the details it gets so complicated.
    If putting them all under one lens is possible but difficult, would it be easier to do with two lenses?
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Wink Re: Introducing the 007 Tri-V CPF

Nice with the bi ooseven you could make a magnetic ayspheric holder to switch optics around

Flashaholic*

How about a grid or screen for protection? It would be close enough to the emitter so that it might not cast a shadow but merely difuse the light a little. I think I'd rather have that than lose part of the coverage. I'm thinking lantern use. In any case, I'm excited about it and cant wait to get one.

I like the three lenses,makes it look technically superior kinda.
    but maybe a beermat sketch of what a single lens looks like?
    I so want one and I'll have to save very hard,hopefully we'll have some time to save for it ???

Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    I like the three lenses,makes it look technically superior kinda.
    but maybe a beermat sketch of what a single lens looks like?
    I so want one and I'll have to save very hard,hopefully we'll have some time to save for it ???

Given the complexity of this project, I think its fairly safe to assume that there will still be quite a long lead time before
    these make it into production.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

If I make one for you, I will pull that precision ground glass dual optical coated aspheric out of yours and replace it with a plastic TIR.
    Just the way I like it.... extra ringy!

Data, great work as always and you can count me in for one. I'll be watch this thread intently.

MSax
    I wish I could afford a BarnBurner!

Cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water..... Our shark.

Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    . . . but maybe a beermat sketch of what a single lens looks like?
    . . .
    There is no sketch, I can't figure a good way to do it. The limiting issue is size. I wanted this Tri-V to not change the 007's dimensions.

If you put a round head on big enough to hold all this stuff, it would be huge! I am afraid it would not match the 007 lines either.

I did model a couple shields for the MC-E but got off track when the forums went down Saturday and I need to get back to it (BTW, thanks Greta and DM51 for getting us rolling again). One of them looks like an SLR lens shield. I will get them posted soon so you can give me your thoughts on them.

Cheers
    Dave

Flashaholic*

Dave, on the prototype you recently tested, how did you choose to program the six clicks?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    Dave, on the prototype you recently tested, how did you choose to program the six clicks?
    Rudi, I will lay out what I did but it is by no means the best config for my liking. Have you thought about what you would try? If so please post it here and I may give it a spin.

At PF12 I had only one emitter on at a time. The code was hard wired cuz I did not have time to program anything else. So this is the only config I could play with and show to everybody.

Power level 1 was MC-E @ 3mA (flood)
    Power level 2 was MC-E @ 30mA (flood)
    Power level 3 was MC-E @ 1000mA (flood
    Power level 4 was Rebel @ 250mA (reflector)
    Power level 5 was Rebel @ 1000mA (reflector)
    Power level 6 was XR-E @ 1500mA (aspheric)

The good: The Aspheric on level 6 is a winner. This really rocks and I don't see a need to have this on any other power level. It was set at 1500mA because I only have the one MK-II and I did not want to blow it up. However on the production board, I would set this at 2000mA with an auto cut back to 1000mA after a minute or so.

The bad: The flood starting on level 1 all by itself was just so different than a regular SPY that I did not get used to it yet. Maybe it would be better if the flood and the reflector were on together. Or maybe it would be better to start with a few levels of reflector only. I just do not know because I did not have time to try any other configurations yet.

The more I think about it the more options come to mind and I am anxious to try them all out. That can't happen right now because I riped the proto apart to do more testing on the MK-II. When we get done with the tests, Wayne will have a small batch of near production boards done and populated. Then I can try to blow a couple of them up.

Cheers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    Given the complexity of this project, I think its fairly safe to assume that there will still be quite a long lead time before
    these make it into production.
    That's a safe bet.