Introducing the 007 Tri-V CPF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Introducing the 007 Tri-V CPF

The SPY 007 Tri-V CPF is a new concept light that I am currently prototyping, testing and considering. It is made from the standard SPY 007 light but with a new head and converter board. The standard 007 with a Seoul P4 emitter (007s) and the standard 007 with a Cree XR-E emitter (007c) that I have previously produced are currently in production. They are unaffected by this Tri-V exploration.

The Tri-V CPF has Triple Variable Color, Power, and Focus. This is not the first three variable light but it is taking this to a new level for such a small EDC. PK had a goal for a single flashlight that was to be able to vary the color, power and focus. I took that and combined it with what Don has done to create this Tri-V.

The Tri-V is still controlled by the 7 position rotary switch but with a new converter. There are three emitters in this light; a modified Cree XR-E, a Cree XP-E and a Cree MC-E. The Tri-V CPF will vary the color output from warm white to neutral white to cold white while varying the focus from a very wide 180 degree smooth flood to a typical flashlight reflector spot with spill to a tight 4 degree beam aspheric throw. All of this will transition while going through the 6 power levels.

The warm white flood is like a candle flame or campfire. It is a very inviting light to fill a room with. The neutral white is a higher CRI color like an over driven incan. It is a good overall color for a flashlight with a nice balance between throw and spill. Finally the cold white is a piercing high color temperature bluish-white providing maximum lumen output, maximum penetration in the night air and maximum throw.

The new STFu MK-II can switch between up to 3 emitters or emitter banks and it can run all the way up to 3A (14 watts). At that power, it has unlimited run time. However, due to heat dissipation limitations of the emitters in the tiny 007, it will be programmed with a timed auto cut back at those ultra levels. The SPY is a small EDC and that is not changing and nor are the laws of thermodynamics.

The Tri-V is about 0.2" thicker than the standard 007. The other two dimensions are mostly unchanged. This is a no compromise concept design with a head that is nearly as complicated as the body is. I am not pulling any punches here; it is as much as I can make it while still fitting the EDC mantra. This first pic is a teaser. It is only the side of the light. I am working on more pics and will get them up soon.

SPY007pic33b.jpg

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a CAD rendering of the Tri-V in video. Click the "HQ" button when you get to the youtube site, it will look better.

new
SPY007pic44.jpg

SPY007pic45.jpg

IMG_0666.JPG

PF12 prototype
Tri-Vs.jpg

Last edited:

chipwillis

Flashlight Enthusiast
OOOOOOOOOO boy. Paypal is ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to see live pictures. That is one cool design.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fantastic Dave! A SPY is in my future. Just a matter of when.:popcorn:

See you at PF12!

Hey Coach, you should come to PF12- your not to far away!

Last edited:

fasteddie

Enlightened
very cool :mecry: I can resist anything but temptation.

Will the next version also have changes to the laws of thermodynamics? I might have to wait for that.

Last edited:

tdurand

Enlightened
Nice spider-like (Spy-der) design with the multiple optic sizes.:goodjob:

It'll be interesting to find out how you're going to control these three variables through use of the single rotary switch.:popcorn:

Very cool!
T

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
. . .
It'll be interesting to find out how you're going to control these three variables through use of the single rotary switch.:popcorn:
. . .

I think the question here is; how will you control the variables? ;) Don't forget I get to write this code anyway I want. And what I want is a user interface that will let you make the light do whatever you desire.

Let's cover the three heads:

Warm:
The orange/brown lens is the glass dome of the MC-E. It will be a Warm white color. This emitter will have all four die powered up and because it sticks out the front, it will produce a 180 degree pure flood beam. This can produce many hundreds of lumen's of light.

Neutral:
The white lens is a McR-12 reflector behind some UCL glass. It has the Cree XP-E in a neutral white tint. This is a similar beam pattern to the normal 007 Cree head but with a little more flood and a little less throw. And a slightly warmer tint too.

Cold:
The big blue lens is the aspheric. It has the XR-E behind it with a modified lens on the emitter. The XR-E will be a cool WB like bin. The aspheric is focused to project an image of the die at a few hundred feet. There is little spill around this pencil like beam. The light intensity of this beam is very high (higher than any of the so called surefire tactical EDC lights) and if it hits somebody in the eye it will leave them disoriented for some time. Aspheric lights are not for kids to play with.

What are the variables:
The user interface to the Tri-V CPF will be user programmable. You can set it up in a myriad of ways. Essentially you have 6 positions on the switch and three separate heads to turn on and power as you will. The power can be set so low you can not tell the emitter is even on or it can be set higher than any EDC "this size" has yet achieved. Clearly you can't pore that much power into the XP-E all by it's self so there will be built in limits. However, there is nothing stopping you from setting more than one of the emitters on at the same time! The combinations are staggering.

Default configuration:
The light will have a default configuration. . . the plan is as follows. When you turn on the light it turns on the warm flood to a very low setting, not much different than the standard 007. The next few settings are powerful flood and flood with some throw. Then as you turn it higher, the warm white turns neutral and the flood greatly reduces. It is right here that the light behaves as a normal SPY. Then finally the last click does away with any spill what so ever and throws a very strong (~500 lumens) nearly collimated beam of cool white light. Not so tight mind you that it is useless at 100 feet but tighter than any EDC this size has yet achieved.

Conclusion, I am open to any ideas you have. Please do not hesitate to speak up, what would you do with a Tri-V?

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.