Banggood Network
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maxabeam: how many lumens

Default Re: Maxabeam: how many lumens

Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    Yeah, gotta agree with Ma, that's got to be a Gen2 from that date. You can get new genuine Peakbeam Gen3 bulbs on Ebay from a particular seller for about $100 IIRC plus shipping. He's got a bunch. Search for Maxabeam bulbs. Just a note that even though they are Gen3 bulbs, there is a newer bulb being used by Peakbeam now. The big difference is going from the stick bulb with tubular arc chamber to a round arc chamber. Significant difference in the beam.
    thats an understatement!
    if your not wearing a #12 welding screen than it ain't bright enough! "Hand-Sun H.I.D." 55w & 75w(for sale), Rocky 3w LED, Stanley 109 35w mod'd, Maxa-Beam Gen II, 55w hid/100w incan Vector Twin, 400w MH long arc, 100w MH mid arc. Amondotech n30.

What's the difference? Beamshots??
    And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I! Send me."
    Isaiah 6:1-8

A tubular arc chamber will diffract the image of the arc to varying degrees depending on the viewing angle. Since the reflector takes a range of viewing angles, the thing it is trying to image will see varying degrees of refraction at different angles, leading to a less well focused beam. Think kind of how if you look at an object through a piece of glass at a sharp angle, the object appears to have changed in its location in space.

A round chamber minimizes this effect, since at any angle within the lamp's viewing angle the light is hitting the surface of the round chamber at a normal of ~90 degrees. Kind of like how if you look straight through a piece of glass at an object on the other side, the object will appear to be where it actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Nos View Post
    hmmm how many lumens/watt does a xenon short arc produce?
    HID 50 watt (with ™XeStrike™ and D1S) 100 lumens/watt

Yeah, gotta agree with Ma, that's got to be a Gen2 from that date. You can get new genuine Peakbeam Gen3 bulbs on Ebay from a particular seller for about $100 IIRC plus shipping. He's got a bunch. Search for Maxabeam bulbs. Just a note that even though they are Gen3 bulbs, there is a newer bulb being used by Peakbeam now. The big difference is going from the stick bulb with tubular arc chamber to a round arc chamber. Significant difference in the beam.
    How hard is it to switch out the bulb?

Just a few Allen screws, remove front lens and anode wire, pull bulb, put new bulb in, reassemble and then center the bulb using the x/y adjustment.
    if your not wearing a #12 welding screen than it ain't bright enough! "Hand-Sun H.I.D." 55w & 75w(for sale), Rocky 3w LED, Stanley 109 35w mod'd, Maxa-Beam Gen II, 55w hid/100w incan Vector Twin, 400w MH long arc, 100w MH mid arc. Amondotech n30.

Quote Originally Posted by FRITZHID View Post
    Just a few Allen screws, remove front lens and anode wire, pull bulb, put new bulb in, reassemble and then center the bulb using the x/y adjustment.
    And try not to snap the clip off the end of the anode wire ! (I may have done this to my Gen2 MB - still haven't got around to sending it back to peakbeam, good thing I still have a Gen3 to play with)

and I already asked, it can't be soldered, the connection gets hot enough to melt solder, needs to be spot welded or crimped like the factory connection - its a pretty cheap part to buy, but shipping with insurance to the US and back to Oz is the issue (that and I have been slack)
    flashlight collector by day
    flashlight user by night

What about Silver solder? It has a higher melting point.

From a forum post:

Solder goes liquious at 450f*

Silver(45%) melts at about 1100to1200

15% silfoss at 1250 ti 1300.

Go here to see melting points of many solders:

http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/e...Documents.aspx

I can tell you that in my experience with conventional short arc lamps and the Cermax type, no manufacturer wants to see lamp base temps exceed 250C and I would guess that MB bases would not see more than the 250C temp. So silver solder should work fine.
    Last edited by BVH; 03-26-2014 at 10:07 AM.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Regarding the Gen 2 and Gen 3 bulbs..
    Its hard to tell what the bulb looks like from just looking thru the lens, I may need to open it up to see the bulb.

Is there a way to know what kind of bulb it has without opening it? Anything on the actual unit that would identify the bulb type ?

If you can't tell from the outside, then no, there's no markings etc. to tell you. I just looked at mine with its Gen3 lamp and if I wasn't familiar with both, it might be difficult to tell what I had based on our descriptions. The round chamber is way back just before the reflector hole and with all the reflections and clear quartz, even I had to look close to see the round chamber.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Thanks..

yea...very tough to see..I'll probably take the lens off and maybe it will be easier to tell.

What about Silver solder? It has a higher melting point.

From a forum post:

Solder goes liquious at 450f*

Silver(45%) melts at about 1100to1200

15% silfoss at 1250 ti 1300.

Go here to see melting points of many solders:

http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/e...Documents.aspx

I can tell you that in my experience with conventional short arc lamps and the Cermax type, no manufacturer wants to see lamp base temps exceed 250C and I would guess that MB bases would not see more than the 250C temp. So silver solder should work fine.
    Peak beam said solder will melt, I didn't specifically ask about silver solder.
    im not sure my soldering iron will handle the higher melting point though
    flashlight collector by day
    flashlight user by night

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12