Can I use cooking (vegetable) oil as lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.

highseas

Newly Enlightened
I know this is non-standard, but I wonder if that works for my flashlight's threads? thanks.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a good idea. And LukeA didn't mention that it would also attract insects before and after it went rancid. Mmmm, and then there's that nice rancid oil smell. :eeew: Oh, yeah and it makes a lousy lube.

Axion

Enlightened
Vegetable oil will spoil so it's not a good idea. The easiest to find stuff is probably gun lube. You can get it at any Wall Mart.

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Some of my ex-gf's prefered it over normal lube.
:crackup:First Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil is about the healthiest oil on the market but I am sure that it would attract dirt in the "threads" if you know what I mean.

Any vegetable oil will break down very quickly and gum up your threads rather than lubricating them.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Silicone lube is known to work well, as are Nyogel and teflon lubes, such as Krytox or SuperLube.

I sell Krytox over at the Marketplace, there should be a link in my sigline.

Krytox can also be found at the Sandwich Shoppe

Nyogel can be found at Lighthound

tygger

Enlightened
In a pinch you'd probably be better off using synthetic motor oil I think, assuming you had any.

BTW, there was a famous movie scene from the 80's with a guy and two girls vacationing on a greek island and they started horsing around pouring olive oil on eachother and the next thing you know...........anyone know the name of that movie?

nbp

Flashaholic
This thread is going nowhere fast. Always someone has to go there with the lube question... :shakehead

Just buy a little tub of silicone or teflon based lubricant from the hardware or sporting good store and leave the olive oil for your salads. There's literally dozens of threads on this subject if you poke around a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.