DX.com
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: JetBeam M1X Review (Cree M-CE): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

Default Re: JetBeam M1X Review (Cree M-CE): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

Quote Originally Posted by windstrings View Post
    Ryan, did the MX1 have the extender on it when in that holster?.

It looked like it barely had enough strap to hold.... or was that a perfect fit?
    Yes, the extender was on....and I'm sure the extender with the tactical grip ring will not fit in the holster. Mine was the smooth extender.

The flap just barely closes. But it gets the full Velcro seal. The M1X surprisingly fits like a glove in it too!
    My Sunlite Reviews: 8wFP, 16wFP, FP80, 8w Utility Head, Slim Jr., Slim2.
    My "High Output Thrower" Review

I know a guy that makes "great" custom leather holsters etc ... I wonder if there would be any demand for such for the M1X?

The cheap holsters suffice for many, but leather ads the elegance and longevity to match the light.

If so, I could start another thread.
    Last edited by windstrings; 06-26-2009 at 04:53 AM.
    Prev- Xeray BB 75W HID, Acro 990X, JET-I PRO, M1X LED,Oracle 35W HID , P1D Q5, L35-35 watt HID, Zebralight H30, H31W. & H60W LED, Quark MiNi 123, Quark MiNi 123 TI, Fenix PD 10 ti, DEFT LED-35/80W HID Mule, OLIGHT-SR90-2200L LED, 1.9watt blue laser, FFIII HID, Nitecore TM26

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post

I like the heft of the TK40 and I don't like the thin tube - big head form of the Jetbeam but the user interface is so preferable to me that I regret my decision to go with the Fenix.

HKJ
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by recDNA
    I like the heft of the TK40 and I don't like the thin tube

Try read this test and you will probably feel a lot better about the "thin" tube.
    When recDNA said "thin tube" he was actually referring to the small diameter 18650 tube of the M1X...just a grammatical error. It was coincidence that he used the word thin together with the TK40, which has been scrutinized for the wall thickness of its battery tube.

Windstrings, did you receive your M1X yet. I'm just curious if we can expect yet another review of this fine light.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    Windstrings, did you receive your M1X yet. I'm just curious if we can expect yet another review of this fine light.

I did indeed!... I haven't gotten by 18650's from AW yet so I had to put 3 CR123's in.

I'm not going to go crazy with pics as there are plenty out there, and many before me have already supplied excellent reviews and pictures..... but I will toss in only a couple and give my basic impressions from myself as a primarily HID user to this point.

Although LED was cool for close up work, I hadn't realized how far they have advanced in the flashlight department for real use for outside spotlights or viable searchlights.
    This must be of the same quality the high end cars are starting to go to in thier headlights.

I was quite surprised at the size!... yes its smaller than I expected. Based on the pictures, it looked like the sledge of thor, but in reality it got shrunk!

But the small size was cool!.. you can actually put it in your pocket!.. not for carrying like on a key chain, but if your walking the dog at night, you don't have to feel like you have to carry the light as it easily fits in a front pants pocket!

I think I'm going to like the spiked battery extender verses the normal one.
    Reason being is the the head is quite larger than the rest of the body, and even though its light enough that its no big deal, it does feel like if you held it loosely, you could drop it as it slipped forward. The spiked extender will give grip and prevent that. Adding extra length and a tad more weight will help counter balance it... good while running etc!

Its a perfect size to slip in a glove box or console too.

Its built like Fort Knox. Every to detail and quality... almost on the level of being done by a Jeweler. I have to look closely to see and appreciate all the detail that was put into this light. Its obvious, it was manufactured with TLC and pride rather than just trying to toss something out that looked good on picture online to sell quickly.

If your tired of Chinese lights that look great by picture but when you get them you discover they are thin fragile pieces of crap, you will love this light! Inside and out, this light is built to last the test of time and nothing is thin or fragile!

I may end up using this light more than any because of its power yet small size and weight.

It took me a bit to figure out the hidden menu in user mode to set the dimming level for alternative use besides full brightness.

This thing will turn down to the level of "low!".. a quite beautiful beam when it does. You can look directly into the LED without it hurting the eyes its so low... or you can set it any level in between that and full bright!
    A simple turn of the head a bit and it takes you to that user mode to access the setting you've set.

Accessing the hidden menu is quite easy once you figure out what to do.
    I kept hitting the click button instead of waiting for it to activate at first.

I put rechargeable CR123's in and also tried with primaries.
    Seems like I thought I read somewhere it has more output with 18650's.. but maybe not.... maybe it was just the runtime I was thinking of.

I'm definitely not a guru on this light yet and I don't know if there will be a difference using different batteries, but I couldn't notice a difference with my naked eye "of course it wasn't side by side either".

Many beam shots are altered to get the effect of the light against others.
    With my shot, I tried to make it a little more true to life so once could see.

This pic is at night with the TV on and all the lights off in the living room.
    The blindness of the beam is not quite that bright in real life, but close and very impressive nevertheless.
    As you can see, there is no "donut" hole to worry about, yet if you shine it a objects a bit farther, the donut hole appears and if you go yet farther it disappears for good.

The only thing I have to compare this light to in the LED department is my Inova 4 Watt and my P1D keychain light "which is no slouch"

The inova 4 watt was no comparison... the beam is much bluer and pale in comparison to the M1X which is white hot.
    I've very glad I picked the M1X with the beam pattern it has rather than one with more spill and less concentration in the beam.
    There is plently of spill with this light to see by, yet the main power is concentrated in the distance.
    Look like a true beam or shaft of light when shining up into space.

I"m amazed at how "fat" the beam is too! Since the reflector is about 3 inches.. so is the beam as it leaves the light!

My P1D has a similiar color to the kelvin of the light as the M1X but not near as bright.
    I'm gonna say just by eye balling the M1X has the P1D beat by a factor of three... maybe four when looking at my white vinyl fence from about 150ft away.
    When shining into the distance where there is a tree backdrop approx 400ft way, there is no comparison at all. The P1D just simply doesn't make the trip while the M1X actually illuminates objects enough to seem them.

I saw no heatup issues.. I was out last night with the ambient air temp around 85 degrees and after 10min of being on the head was only slightly warm on high the whole time.

Now lets get "unfair".. the other two lights I have are the L35 "3500 lumen HID" and the Xeray Barnburner HID running at 80 watts "9000+ lumens".

Only when you go into that caliber of HID can you say the M1X loses its glory. But now you are weighing against lights not only more expensive, but much heavier, less agile, much more fragile, and slow startup "20 - 30 seconds".

Too bad we can't figure out how to take more of these LEDs and get the same throw into the same reflector.. it would be devestating and HID would be no more!

The M1X has become my light of choice to keep by my bed. It would be most effective in blinding an assaliant with its instant blinding light over the slower startup HID's!

I will add more comments later as they arise, but for now, this was my first impressions from just using it last night.

I also appreciate Patriots feedback as I hate buyers remorse... I am glad indeed I chose the M1X!
    Prev- Xeray BB 75W HID, Acro 990X, JET-I PRO, M1X LED,Oracle 35W HID , P1D Q5, L35-35 watt HID, Zebralight H30, H31W. & H60W LED, Quark MiNi 123, Quark MiNi 123 TI, Fenix PD 10 ti, DEFT LED-35/80W HID Mule, OLIGHT-SR90-2200L LED, 1.9watt blue laser, FFIII HID, Nitecore TM26

It took me a bit to figure out the hidden menu in user mode to set the dimming level for alternative use besides full brightness.
    JetBeam has a very good quality on their latest lights and when they have the IBS functions, you have a lot of settings.

When in the "hidden" menu, try turning off/on one more time and you get into the flashing modes.
    My website with flashlight, battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 200 battery reviews and 80 charger reviews.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

I'm very excited that you're so pleased with it Windy. It was because of this review and comments by people like HKJ that I recommended this light. Also, I own several Jetbeams myself with the most recent being the Raptor. I'm of the opinion that their quality and value is very high. This light seems to be the perfect fit for you and I hope the enjoyment lasts a long time.
    Last edited by Patriot; 06-27-2009 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    JetBeam has a very good quality on their latest lights and when they have the IBS functions, you have a lot of settings.

When in the "hidden" menu, try turning off/on one more time and you get into the flashing modes.
    I did find a flashing mode a couple of times by accident but didn't know how I did it since I didn't see it in the manual.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    I'm very excited that you're so pleased with it Windy. It was because of this review and comments by people like HKJ that I recommended this light. Also, I own several Jetbeams myself with the most recent being the Raptor. I'm of the opinion that their quality and value is very high. This light seems to be the perfect fit for you and I hope the enjoyment last a long time.
    Yep, I'm a convert to Jetbeam... as technology improves and new LED's hit the market, Jetbeam will always be on top of the list in my considerations for a new purchase.

thanks again....

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    You'll have to walk me through it a bit closer.
    When I turn/on the light one more time after the hidden mode has been activated... thats when the light starts ramping up from low to high.. clicking one more time simply "sets" it at the level the light was at when you clicked.

Exactly when are you talking about clicking again?
    I tried it "before" the light activated "after initiating the hidden menu" and it simply resets it to what it was before "taking me out of the menu"

And is the flashing mode a "different" choice or "another" choice in addition to the brightness setting?

He meant flashing the light, as opposed to a click-off. From the UI section of the review:

From the head loosened position, you can access the "Brightness Setting" mode of the M1X by rapidly pressing the clicky 3 times within one second, then holding the switched half-pressed or fully click to start the output ramp (the light should be off to start, if you want to program). To select the output level you want, simply release the switch or click off when it reaches the point you want. Wait at least 2 secs for the light to memorize your setting before attempting to turn it back on.

To access the SOS/strobe modes, flash the switch during the brightness ramp. This will advance you to "Special Functions" mode, which contains a number of SOS/strobe modes. If you flash again while in the Special Functions mode, you will advance to the Reset Function mode. This doesn't have much use now, as it was designed for the original IBS circuit where it reset all 3 programmable modes to factory defaults. Simply flash again to get back to the Brightness Setting mode.

Glad you are enjoying the light!
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Orcatorch D500.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

You'll have to walk me through it a bit closer.
    When I turn/on the light one more time after the hidden mode has been activated... thats when the light starts ramping up from low to high.. clicking one more time simply "sets" it at the level the light was at when you clicked.

I tried it "before" the light activated "after initiating the hidden menu" and it simply resets it to what it was before "taking me out of the menu"

And is the flashing mode a "different" choice or "another" choice in addition to the brightness setting?
    When you are in the hidden menu and the light is ramping up/down, do a fast off/on and it will change to the flashing menu, where it will give a short sample of each flashing mode. You turn it off to memorize the flashing mode, exactly like you turn it off to memorize a brightness setting.
    My website with flashlight, battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 200 battery reviews and 80 charger reviews.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

Thanks guys.. its pretty amazing what all this light will do.
    I'm able to get into the flashing mode where it turn on and off full brightness every second but haven't found any others yet.... pretty tricky getting that far!

I have one more question I'm working on.

I have the "ribbed" battery extender.

But I would like it to be at the end rather than next to the end.

How hard is it to remove the silver ring with the push button and place it on the ribbed extender so I can then put "what was the end with the button" and make it the middle extender and put the ribbed extender in its place on on the end with the silver ring and button attached to that ribbed one instead?

Did I loose everybody!

But is it possible to switch the endcap for the barrel extender and in doing so switch the silver ring and button too?
    Last edited by windstrings; 06-28-2009 at 03:48 PM.

I think I'm getting used to the way the extender comes stock.... rather nifty.

Not only does this light fit perfect in a cup holder in your car, it also balances perfect with the ribbed extender and the hand placement fits perfect at the balance point. If balancing on a finger, the balance point is actually right where the name on the tube is.
    The small indention's in the heat fins are perfect for thumb placement if desired. Unless this was by accident, someone really put allot of thought into the makeup of this light.

If you look closely, the ribbs on the extender also give a perfect place for the fingers to catch when using the light overhead or in the style a paramedic or police officer would use it when entering a building.

You never know when your light needs to become a weapon.

This sounds silly, but believe me.... if you ever get jumped, it will be when your off guard.... most likely not when you have your weapon drawn.

Also, if you decide to stick the barrel of your light down a tight jean pocket, the extender will give some "grab" so it doesn't slip out without your knowing.

I did some experimenting and went driving with my light sticking out the window and at strategic times scanned the woods for wildlife.
    The Kelvin of the color is perfect to maintain accurate color during the night... I'm guessing its around 4300 - 4500.

I have HID lights on my car "35W each" and even on high beam, my M1X was able to out distance the car headlights. Probably because they are aimed more at the ground... but still, competing against "two" 35W HID's wasn't bad!

Nice pictures Windy! Sorry you're not more excited about your new light.

Great light, excellent UI, I'm very happy with my purchase (especially since I snagged one for $100). The only thing I'll have to get used to is the donut hole. It's a shame, but I suppose that's the trade off for a light that outthrows everything I have...except for my stock Rebel Mag 2D.

Two questions:
    -Current at the tail measures 1.4A. Is that out of line, or did Jetbeam really increase the current that much when the light was revised?
    -I'd like to clean a few smudges off the window (lens). Is it coated so a certain side faces out, or are both faces coated the same? If it is the former, is the UCL coating on the inside safe to touch and clean?

Quote Originally Posted by kavvika View Post
    Two questions:
    -Current at the tail measures 1.4A. Is that out of line, or did Jetbeam really increase the current that much when the light was revised?
    -I'd like to clean a few smudges off the window (lens). Is it coated so a certain side faces out, or are both faces coated the same? If it is the former, is the UCL coating on the inside safe to touch and clean?
    Yes, I believe Jetbeam noticeably increased the output on the revised version. That belief is based on other comparisons I've seen posted here (I don't have a first gen to directly compare).

As for the lens, not sure if it is dual coated. To be on the safe side, I would make sure you take note of positioning when disassembling/re-assembling. Should be safe enough to clean smudges with a lint-free cloth. I wouldn't use any chemical cleaners - 95% alcohol may be safe, but I personally wouldn't use anything stronger that water, just in case.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Orcatorch D500.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

how far does MX1 light throw? 200ft ?

Can you give us an estimate ?
    Admiral of Starfleet Special Operation Forces. We are the vanguard of the Federation against hostile forces.

Enlightened

wow very bright
    a story behind every scratch

Quote Originally Posted by picard View Post
    how far does MX1 light throw? 200ft ?

Can you give us an estimate ?
    I don't know, but it should be quite a bit further than that.
    I took this picture with the target about 140' away in a straight line

This doesn't give a good sense of how bright the spill is.

Quote Originally Posted by ejot View Post
    I don't know, but it should be quite a bit further than that.
    I took this picture with the target about 140' away in a straight line

This doesn't give a good sense of how bright the spill is.
    Does the MX1 throw farther than the Tiablo ACE-G ?
    Admiral of Starfleet Special Operation Forces. We are the vanguard of the Federation against hostile forces.

If you go back to post one and look at the pics and the comments under the chart of "selfbuilt" you will see yes.

the Mx1 rates at 30.7 (945 lux) for throw while the Ace-G is 25.3 (640 lux)
    Last edited by windstrings; 07-27-2009 at 06:58 AM.

The ACE is more of a flooder, the M1X throws much better.

Does the extender for the 2*18650 come included or must be purchased seperately?

^ yes the M1x package includes the extender tube.

GREAT REVIEW by the OP. I just got mine yesterday and i have been running it non stop thru several sets of batts all day and night. Easy to use user interface (read the simple directions) exceptional build quality, far surpassing SF as far as I'm concerned. Bright as heck ic an get that beam all the way down 3 city block unlit back lanes. Floods a soccer field at 300 meters very nicely, the crack addicts in my area DO NOT LIKE being pit lamped in the face, they moved on quickly from behind the storage shed on the field. I'm looking forward to Jetbeams next release, hopefully it will be a monster lumen thrower or flooder 1000+
    I regret buying the Surefires now, wish i had bought some of the other Jetbeam models....

11/10 rating for the Jetbeam M1x, its now my new pocket EDC, along with my Pelican 7060 and Fenix TA30, TK11 and SF E1L and L2 and G2Zled
    Last edited by Bushman5; 08-01-2009 at 01:43 PM.
    MY EDC: JETBEAM M1X - it replaced 8 other lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushman5 View Post
    ^ yes the M1x package includes the extender tube.

GREAT REVIEW by the OP. I just got mine yesterday and i have been running it non stop thru several sets of batts all day and night. Easy to use user interface (read the simple directions) exceptional build quality, far surpassing SF as far as I'm concerned. Bright as heck ic an get that beam all the way down 3 city block unlit back lanes. Floods a soccer field at 300 meters very nicely, the crack addicts in my area DO NOT LIKE being pit lamped in the face, they moved on quickly from behind the storage shed on the field. I'm looking forward to Jetbeams next release, hopefully it will be a monster lumen thrower or flooder 1000+
    I regret buying the Surefires now, wish i had bought some of the other Jetbeam models....

11/10 rating for the Jetbeam M1x, its now my new pocket EDC, along with my Pelican 7060 and Fenix TA30, TK11 and SF E1L and L2 and G2Zled
    are you sure the MX1 can throw at 300m ? did you buy extension tube too?
    how long did the light last ?

^ the extension tube (so you can run 2 x 18650 batts) comes with it. You can run either 3 x CR123's, 3 RCR123s, or use the extender to run 4 x CR123's, or 4 RCR123's or 2 x 18650s.

The light throws farther than i can see at night, so i cant really see the end of the beam.

I can go down the street to where we have unlit alleys, stand at the beginning of the block and it goes all the way past 3 blocks,lighting up everything in the alleys. I then stood at our local park and lit up the soccer field 110 meters x 100 meters. There was still light from the beam going much much further out past the far end of the parking lots (200 meters x 200 meters) behind the soccer field and road. MX1 is THROWY!

also maybe you electronics profs can answer my other question here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=238261

^ the extension tube (so you can run 2 x 18650 batts) comes with it. You can run either 3 x CR123's, 3 RCR123s, or use the extender to run 4 x CR123's, or 4 RCR123's or 2 x 18650s.

The light throws farther than i can see at night, so i cant really see the end of the beam.

I can go down the street to where we have unlit alleys, stand at the beginning of the block and it goes all the way past 3 blocks,lighting up everything in the alleys. I then stood at our local park and lit up the soccer field 110 meters x 100 meters. There was still light from the beam going much much further out past the far end of the parking lots (200 meters x 200 meters) behind the soccer field and road. MX1 is THROWY!

also maybe you electronics profs can answer my other question here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=238261
    where did you buy your MX1 ?

Bugout usa sell extension tube separately ? Does it mean other seller sell the tube as separate item ?

bought mine in Canada at J2ledflashlights (awesome company). I do not know if other retailers sell the tube separate or with the light....I was under the impression that it comes with the light as a full kit.

bought mine in Canada at J2ledflashlights (awesome company). I do not know if other retailers sell the tube separate or with the light....I was under the impression that it comes with the light as a full kit.
    do you think it is cheaper to buy from canadian dealer than from US dealer?

Bugout USA sell it for 145 plus 20 bucks for extender. it doesn't include shipping.

depends on wether you are in canada or the uSA. I'm in canada so it was cheaper for me, no customs fees or shipping.