GID reserve for headlamp?

GQGeek81

Newly Enlightened
I got some powders in from Glow Inc and had taken them into a dark closet to get my first look. If I hold the bag and move it around I can see whats in the closet almost like using a dim candle. I could even read with the light if it were dangling above my face and the book. Almost like a headlamp....

So this has me thinking...
When I backpack I use a hennessey hammock and usually take a book or a couple magazines to read while I'm waiting to doze off. This is easily where most of the battery juice goes to with my headlamp.

If I were to add something like perhaps a patch on each side of the headband with the light in the middle I might possibly be able to read for a while with the light, and then click off and use the GID to read thus saving power.

Now I'm still new to the GID powders and what I can expect from them so...
Has anyone had any luck with something like this or am I over reaching on what I can expect?

greenLED

Flashaholic
:thinking:
Although glowinc's powders are superb, and you can navigate with them, read with them, etc. your idea won't work the way you intend it to. A couple of reasons:

- The glow decreases exponentially - after a few minutes you're left with very low glow (albeit for a very very long time). That residula glow won't be enough for you to read with.
- If you're switching from a regular light source to the GID glow, your eyes won't immediately be dark adapted (which is what you'd need to take full advantage of the glow).

In other words, your eyes can't adapt fast enough to the decay in GID brightness to take full advantage of the low residual glow and be able to read.

I hate to say this, being the GID geek I am, but you'd be better off using a tritium torch/map reader, or even a headlamp with Y/G 5mm LEDs (or something really "dim" like that).

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long do you read at night? 1/2 hr? You're more likely to fall asleep with your light on and drain the batteries.