Machined Triple MC-E

StevelKnievel

Newly Enlightened
Check out the latest project. I wanted something that was at least as bright as my Big Light (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2896471), but low profile so I could run it helmet mounted.

Specs:
- 3x K-bin 4A tint neutral white MC-Es
- hipFlex
- Recessed IP67 switch
- Direct thermal path to housing, good heat spreading and huge surface area
- 1/4" Lexan front cover

Here's a CAD rendering from the design phase:
Spartan_Final_Big.jpg

Here's the actual light:
IMG_4022.jpg

And of course... Beamshots! Both shots on Canon A620, ISO100, F4.0, 6 sec, Daylight White Balance
Triple MC-E vs. my car's high beams

Triple MC-E:
IMG_4039.jpg

Car's High Beam:
IMG_4036.jpg

Last edited:

steve6690

Enlightened
Very nice work. Did you have the housing machined commercially or is that something you did yourself ?

StevelKnievel

Newly Enlightened
I machined it on a standard Bridgeport knee mill, but if I decided to make more I'd probably have a few CNC'd.

syc

Newly Enlightened
Wow - that's quite nice! How well does that Lexan sheet work as a front cover?

Steve

StevelKnievel

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys.

syc- The Lexan works well, its easy to machine and very durable.

Ktronik- Yup, IMS20s. Modded by opening the hole in the bottom for the MC-Es and "sputtered" to remove the beam artifacts and donut hole.

Scoot

Newly Enlightened
I machined it on a standard Bridgeport knee mill, but if I decided to make more I'd probably have a few CNC'd.
I imagine you already have someone in mind to CNC 'em for you, that is if you eventually do make some?

Hope I'm not too presumtuous or premature to post this here:thinking:; but if you do not have the resources lined and you would be interested, then my best friend has a one man (him) machine shop with a Haas Mini Mill CNC, and he would gladly take on small runs.:grin2:

Scoot

Newly Enlightened
damm, that's probably good enough to scare the hounds away!

:confused: Gee, did I say something inappropriate here? If so, I apologize. I am new to this great forum and I am not quite "enlightened:candle:" with the cultural details or appropriate etiquette out here.:mecry:

StevelKnievel

Newly Enlightened
Scoot, no worries... I have a feeling he was talking about the light. Thanks for the offer and I'll keep it in mind. I work as a machinist right now but I'm moving to Colorado from Florida at the end of the month. Depending on where I end up working I might not have easy shop access anymore. Its always good to keep options open.

Cheers!

brad72

Newly Enlightened
What a great looking light. You need to make sure they don't burn the trees down as you pan the handlebars.

I must admit i love developing 3d models in inventor then machining them to life. A great deal of satisfaction. Out of curiosity, which cad package do you use.

StevelKnievel

Newly Enlightened
For this I used an obscure 3D parametric program I have for my Mac called Concepts Unlimited. I think the newest version is called Shark FX. I use Solidworks, AutoCAD, etc. professionally but I find that I like Concepts when it comes to doing projects for myself. It's super intuitive and has basic photo-rendering capability which is nice.

thysmeades

Newly Enlightened
Very nice, what is the max current which you can run thru the LED's (MC-E)
It is really a work of art!! thanks for showing us.
Thys

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a really nice project. With a 3 X LED setup, do you expect the beam to be really bad without the reflector softening ? I guess I had assumed that with multiple LEDs, it would sort of smooth things out on their own.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
That is really sharp! I would love to see some more pictures.

I just bought my first bike today (Trek 7.5fx) and need a good light for it. You should at least consider selling the housing as a DIY kit.