L&M Seca - watts?

Nubo

Enlightened
I see L&M is offering an upgrade to Arc users, allowing purchase of the Seca lighthead only. Since my Arc is getting to the point where it's reluctant to turn on, this seems like it might be a good opportunity. I rebuilt the 9-cell NiMH battery pack not too long ago so it's in good shape, and I'd like to get the value out of the time and money spent with that.

Only thing I don't know is, how to determine the run-time I would get by changing heads. I would need either the mAH rating of the Seca's battery pack, or some watt-consumption figures for the Seca on "high" to extrapolate with.

My current pack is 10.8V 4500 mAH. L&M gives the Seca's "ultra" pack as "9 cell Lithium, 11.1V". Should I assume those are 18650 cells? What is a reasonable mAH rating for those?

I'd love to switch to the Seca head but don't want to end up with much less than 3 hour runtime. Alternatively, I may just go with replacing the HID bulb and save LED for the future. Again :)

If anyone has actual numbers, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Scoot

Newly Enlightened
L&M gives the Seca's "ultra" pack as "9 cell Lithium, 11.1V". Should I assume those are 18650 cells? What is a reasonable mAH rating for those? If anyone has actual numbers, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks!

My guess is that it could also be a 3s3p configuration of the 3.7 V CR123 types. They are roughly 850 mah x 3 = 2500 mah total in a setup like that maybe.

pehaps compare physical dimensions if at all possible to determine the type of cell at 3.7v..

Last edited:

Nubo

Enlightened
The cells definitely have a "longer" aspect ratio than CR123. The whole 9-cell pack has basically the same shape as my NiMH pack, though I don't have the dimensions to judge the diameter or length of the cells. I'd agree it's probably wired 3x3. If I assume 18650 at something like 2400 mAH, then I get 3 x 2.4AH x 11.1V = 80 watt-hours. That's way more than my NiMH pack 4.5AH x 10.8V = 48.6 watt-hours. In which case I might be disappointed by the runtime. Or, maybe not... given the seca ultra's 5-hour runtime, 5H * (48.6/80) = 3 hours. hmmmm......

L&M was very helpful in explaining the upgrade, but haven't responded back about amp-hours or wattages. I imagine that may be going too far into proprietary territory.

Last edited:

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was looking into this light i need to get something as i sold my LM HID, whatever i get must be as bright or brighter