~$50 budget.

FNG

Enlightened
This is for a friend that needs a recommendation. He saw pictures of my lights (in sig) and asked me what he could get for around $50. Runtime isnt important if its on regular batteries and size isnt really important either, but I want him to be able to keep it pocketable. The only think that jumped in my mind was the Streamlight 7 LED on 4AA's. Another light that he might like is the ARC LSH-P for another $50. Hes willing to spend the money if its really worth it. Anything else out there?

paulr

Flashaholic
What does he want in a light?

Something real bright: Surefire G2 or UKE 2L (123 batteries), or PT40 (sort of pocketable) or PT Surge (not pocketable)

Luxeon: Badboy/Madmax + Minimag or Brinkmann 2AA
Alternatives: Arc LS Second ($60, see what model you get)
Minimag + Opalec Newbeam

Convenience LED: Arc AAA

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not go for BB or MM? These are a lot cheaper than Arc LS. Not to suggest anything negative, but if you want something pocketable, Minimag with those sandwiches will do the job. Unless you really want something really pocketable, then you shall get the Arc Ls for 100 more or Arc LS second for 10 dollar more.

FNG

Enlightened
I went to the sandwhich shop webpage and I thought I read they werent taking any more orders? Can anyone link me? For the absolute brightness on alkalines, should he get the BB or MM? With what accessories?

paulr

Flashaholic
Sandwich shop is at www.anlighten.com now, I think. It was taking orders last I looked. Old address is not taking orders.

MM+ with Q3 is the brightest of the sandwiches. All of them are really better off with NiMH than alkaline.

Complete modded Minimags and Brinkmann's show up on BST all the time, that's probably the simplest route.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
For brightness, I would say BB400 will do the job. If your friend is picky about the color, take the BB400 + Q3L.
link to sandwich shop.

FNG

Enlightened
*His* requirements.

Scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the highest.
10 - Brightness
3 - Runtime
1 - Ruggedness

Looks like the website is down. Can anyone tell me if the prices are still the same? I havent been following the updates.

BrianC

Newly Enlightened
He'd probably want a 2-cell 123 light. Almost anyone of them would do:

Surefire G2
Pelican M6
UKE 2L
SL Scorpion
Surefire E2 for $10 more then budget limit

shrap

Enlightened
Then the question is - what does he mean by bright? 15 lumens? 60 lumens?

Standard LEDs aren't great, but small; 1W LSs have been suggested already; 5W LSs are harder to find.

And a 1 for ruggedness? Do you really think a light that kills its lamp with a 1 foot drop and dies if it sees fog is a useful light?

FNG

Enlightened
Bright as in brighter than my Inova X5. Since its an LED, I dont think the lamp would blow, and who would use an LED to see there way in fog?

obeck

Newly Enlightened
Well, if he wants an LED and his preferences are for BRIGHT, then a Luxeon is definitely in order.

BB400 or MadMax+ in Q3L, toss in Kroll switch and whatever the cheap glass is.

I have BB400 Q3L /Kroll and it is a beautiful white and is very very nice. It is by far the best value for money. As I said in another post, it really is the light/size functional equivalent of an Arc LSx-P with a 2AA tail. If you were to actually buy an Arc LSx-P and 2AA tail, you would spend a minimum of about $150. If he really wants small size, He might be able to pick up a firefly or some other small light to fit the sandwich in at a later time.

Otherwise, you are looking at one of the focused princeton tec lights for low cost and high brightness in an LED.

paulr

Flashaholic
If he wants a bright bright bright LED light with ordinary batteries, and small size doesn't appear in his priorities at all, I'd say go for an ElektroLumens Blaster VI with the AA cell holder. It's $90, but I don't think you can get any 5W Luxeon lights for much less than that, so tell him to spring for it. The LED alone costs over $25 in small quantity. If he doesn't mind 123's, the Space Needle II is smaller and even brighter (direct drive).

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The BB500 and the Brinkmann Legend LX,
The Brink has a locking tailswitch so he would not have to buy a Kroll tailswitch. He will get decent regulated output, uses regular batteries and is very bright. The BB500 is ~$38.50 shipped and for $10 or so the Brinkmann can be had within budget. FNG, if you have need seen the Luxeon LEDs, better order one of the above for yourself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

obeck

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
FNG said:
MadMax Q3L's wont be in stock until July 31.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is because production was shifted to the MadMax+/Q3L. Its adjustable, and only $3 more.

jtice

Flashaholic
I am in the same boat as your friend.
I am going to convert one of my MiniMags to a Newbeam... for long runtime, and a nice even flooding beam.

Then, I'm going to convert a second MiniMag with a MadMax400 Q3L for maximum brightness out of the little Mag.

The MM400 Q3L is $43...+ $10 for the MiniMag.

So thtat might be a good option. I for one, dont like 123 batteries... sure they back a punch for their size, but they are expensive and hard to find, and for my purposes, they dont fit the bill. This way you can have the MiniMag running off easy to find AA's.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:
The BB500 and the Brinkmann Legend LX,
The Brink has a locking tailswitch ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Bent, I think you mean brinkmann legend 2AA. Legend LX uses 2*123 batteries

FNG

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
obeck said:
[ QUOTE ]
FNG said:
MadMax Q3L's wont be in stock until July 31.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is because production was shifted to the MadMax+/Q3L. Its adjustable, and only $3 more.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean Q3? (Not Q3L)

jtice

Flashaholic
I didnt even notice any Q3's.
Whats the difference? Just the adjusting?

I wont be ordering mine for a while anyway.... no $$$$. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif