Dedicated Bike Light or Mounted Flashlight?`

REVENGE

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to choose between getting a dedicated bikelight or just mounting a flashlight from DX. At the moment, I'm looking at the Planet Bike stuff from Amazon.com. I'm sure nothing can match their runtimes, but are there any DX lights that I could possibly use for 4 or 5 hours at a decent level of brightness? Overall, is it a better idea to get a bikelight, or mount a flashlight?

decra

Newly Enlightened
Was in the same predicament myself a while ago. I was looking at Niteriders MiNewt X2, but when I thought about it 7 hours run time seemed a little more than was really needed. In the end I plumped for a Fenix PD30, with a bike mount. 4 hours run time at 117 lumens seems more than enough for me, and the flexibility of having a flashlight you can take with you is great. Plus, you can buy 4 PD30's for the same price as the Niterider, 3 for the handlebars and one for your helmet!;)
Can't comment too much on the cheaper lights from KD, but bessiebenny has a roundup here. In general, I'd say anything running a newer Cree emitter from an 18650 or 2 CR123's should give you at least 100 lumens for the times you're talking about, which should be plenty for around town at reasonable speeds. Probably best to try and check out the beam characteristics as well, you want a good bright hotspot, and plenty of spill. Good luck with it.

100g2

Newly Enlightened
Do you want to see or be seen, if to see then a torch is cheaper, if to be seen then a bike specific lights usually have wider beam, better flashing pattern.

pe2er

Enlightened
I Like a fixed, dedicated bikelight, because it is always on your bike. No way to forget it, or need to take it off your bike when you park (I use this bike for commuting).

On the other hand, I like the light output of the LED flashlights from DX. So I combined the benefits of both here: SuperFire W-3 Cree Q5-WC 230-Lm LED Bike/Flashlight

I Also added a taillight, because it is mandatory where I live and because I think it is safer to ride with one.

4x 18650 LiIon batteries give me ~ 7 hours of runtime with both head and tail light on.

Last edited:

JinbaIttai

Newly Enlightened
Nothing matches the run times of planet bike stuff (the headlights) because they are all rather dim.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing matches the run times of planet bike stuff (the headlights) because they are all rather dim.

Oh, I wouldn't say that. I've got a 10W Alias HID from them, and it's not too shabby--about 500 lumens. I'm not crazy about the bluish tint, but I wanted a self contained unit that I could just snap on and off, without having to strap a battery pack and switch. I'm riding a folder, BTW. I've also got a couple of the 15w Alias lights, and they're brighter than any Cree or Seoul light, other than the 4-die emiters. Also, as far rear blinkies go, the Planet Bike Superflash is the clear bang-for-your-buck winner.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you need long run times, change the batteries! Put another set of 18650's somewhere and swap them out when you need longer run times.
Get the xzoom. It's cheap. reguardless of what you decide, get the xzoom now. I can't imagine any cyclist regretting it in any situation: I'll even buy it from you if you don't like it.

I tried both bike and hand lights. The bell / cateye bike lights (single units, no battery packs) and mounting various flashlights.

totally inline with previous poster, I use the cycle lights in lite or down-town areas. The light is visible to others from a wide viewing angle.

When I need to see what is on the road, i turn on my MG PLI (mc-e), a flashlight from shiningbeam. On my partner's bike I've put a xZoom (18650, from dx). She loves the beam, it's completely artifact free so perfect for seeing the road. I love the MG, it's freaking bright.

IMHO the dx xzoom is the budget gold standard. The beam is perfect. If you need more light, use two.
For a little more expense, my MG PLI is amazing, though in all honesty i can't say it's necessarily 'better,' I just don't have two xzoom's to put on and my girlfriend claimed mine as 'hers' because she likes it.

Bike lights are way too expensive for the output. Get it b/c it's slick and you want to spend money, but not 'best' solution.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
re: dx - i've got a $2.50 blinker from DX that is %95 as good as my $10 Bell blinker.
I don't want to push dx, and they're stuff isn't bomb proof. but it is very bright and functional - if you take care of your gear and don't think about rolling battle tanks over your consumer electronics, imho dx is the sole budget lighting choice.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
depends on
* what You use now
* what brightness You need
* runtime
* size/weight
* if it were a bonus to have a good handheld flashlight also (dedicated bike lights tend to have larger battpacks, usually in an external pocket)

for me, the single XR-E light is enough for trail riding (an ordinary headlamp added for very rought terrain).
Makes 2+ hours at full + an additional 18650 as spare.
Bombproof, extremely small but light, multilevel, ...
You might have heared already: Jetbeam, Fenix, ...

if this is not enough light for You, You will have to get a quad-led light (Seoul P7, or Cree MC-E powered).
In that case, handheld is not the best option because of runtime and/or size. The light should at least use 2*18650 batteries, better were one with an external pack.

PS: DX and similar are good to get a 1st impression, good to lend them around and save Your good lights ...
... but parts, electronics, machining, finish and quality control are related to price. Do not consider them as "good led light" and - for sure - do not consider them as rugged and no-problem-parts. Have Your soldering iron ready and learn where to get good drivers and led

Last edited:

znomit

Enlightened
PS: DX and similar are good to get a 1st impression, good to lend them around and save Your good lights ...
... but parts, electronics, machining, finish and quality control are related to price. Do not consider them as "good led light" and - for sure - do not consider them as rugged and no-problem-parts

Yeah, buy one and if you find you're into night riding get something convienient/reliable/decent run times/better beam.

The flashlight will get good use around the home.