Inova INFORCE 6V review w/pics & beamshots more added 5/05

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
More beamshots added...see post 18

I have always been somewhat of a fickle Inova fan. They gave me my first cool led flashlight... The X5 back in 2002. I had a love/hate relationship with the first T series T4&T5 lights. I loved their toughness..and decent brightness for the time (Lux III) but Hated their "rings of Saturn" beams that left most things other than what was illuminated by the spot in the dark.

I was dissapointed with the 2007 Inova T3 which was seriously outgunned by the 2007 Cree lights, but the 2008 T1 was decent. So I thought I owed it to Inova to have the opportunity to impress me again and decided to give the new Carbon Fiber Inforce 6v a try. I had no choice really... Its made out of Carbon Fiber after all...How cool is that?!!!

The Inforce 6v is Inova's answer to the Surefire G2L. It retails for $5 more (at least mine did from the nice folks at Brightguy) and I am sure Inova has some hopes of winning some Military and L.E. market share with this one. First, Lets look at the light and how it comes. I put a Olight T20M next to it for a size reference.
3482761760_340c783ac7.jpg

Packaging is decent...not nearly as nice as their much more expensive Color series lights which include a nice case...but adaquate for the light to be hung in a big box store. Runtime specs are JUST A TAD optamistic...at 10 hours. See Chao's nice graph on post #60 by scrolling down on this page: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/223902&page=2
But I know another company that kinda fudged its P60L numbers as well when it came out. See Chevrofreak's graph here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/176621&highlight=g2l

The 6V does have a unique shape and feel. It feels tough and I like that it does not have any sharp edges to rip up your pockets. It also (unlike the G2) has a built in long belt/pocket/MOLLE clip that realy does not make it harder to hold, but should do a good job allowing it to be secured to a pocket or belt.
3482760916_d90332ca85.jpg

Its switch is unique in that it is not a rubber boot that sits under a lip in the tailcap...the boot is sealed to the body and sits on the outside. The switch is push for momentary (is noisless) twist to lock on or can be turned to lock out activation.
3482761058_55ac8de92f.jpg

The belt clip has a spot to attatch a thick lanyard or 550 paracord. It is also replacable.
3482761564_6f340001bb.jpg

Of course...being an Inova...the batteries go in Backwards! :shakehead
3482760514_dd77385a1b.jpg

The bezel has hard rubberish teeth that will show if the light is on while set bezel down... and should do a margional job of protecting the lens if it falls face down to the ground.
3481946225_f33659fca7.jpg

The reflector/tir is the new Trios II which actually does a good job of giving out a beam that throws well for such a small light...while providing a decent amount of spill. The reflector is well centered....but Greg at Brightguy warned me thier would be a "flaw" in the reflector. It Does Not affect the beam...but you can see here where it is not flush with the lens all the way around.
3482761170_56bbd39026.jpg

Had I not been told It was there... I most likely would have not noticed it for days... as it does not affect the beam it does not bother me... but I know that it would some.

The led is one of the new models. I took a picture of it next to the Olight T20's Q5. My lens is a little above center on the Inova..the led is not off center.
3482763258_9d38536fee.jpg

One thing I really like about the Inova vs. the G2 is that the 6V is rated to be survive a short immersion in water without allowing water to enter the light. Which I tested:)
3482762790_f120c03e35.jpg

Well, the important question is, "What does its beam look like?" The answer is... Not bad at all. It is WAAAY better than the Trios I lights...and more throw than the all flood T1 model. (2008)

Here is a quick shot on my ceiling.
3482762380_8ea3bbd758.jpg

Here is a shot in my backyard. The target bush is 17 yards away. (f/2.8 1.5" iso 64 wb daylight) Still no tripod...sorry.
3482762014_5dc616acf5.jpg

So, as you can see...good Trios throw, especially for such a small sized light...but without the Saturn rings... and with decent spill.

Things I like about the light:

I like that the Inforce 6V is very light and feels tough. The beam is obviously not as bright as Surefires E2DL or new L4's "120 lumens"...but we know those lights are really putting out closer to 200 than 120. I have no problem believing that the light is putting out an honest 119 lumens. For the light it is trying to compete with...the G2L...it is much brighter than the G2L's 80 dimming lumens. (I do not know if the P60L dims as much with the new aluminum head...I have not seen a runtime graph after Chevrofreak's with the resin head)

I do like that the 6V does not really get too warm when left on for a decent amount of time.

I like the clip and size of the light. That the head is not bigger than the body. I like that I can put it in a pocket and not have to lock the tailcap completely to off without worrying that the light will come on on its own.

Finally, like that the light is highly water resistant...and I like the beam! Something I was greatly concerned about. I think Inova did a good job with the Trios II. I am very tempted to pick up the 9v as well.

Things I don't like:

The tailcap (at least on day one) feels like someone keeps putting a very light dab of lok-tite on the tailcap each time I put it down and pick it up...like I have to break the lok-tite seal for it to turn freely....I am told this will get better...but it is annoying. I cannot turn the light to constant on with one hand. Maybe it is a trade off of carbon fiber...maybe just Inova....time will tell. (edit: Fixed...see post #12 below)

I wish the lens was a little farther back into the light. If it falls face down into gravel... the little rubber teeth may not stick out far enough to keep the lens from being scratched.

Overall...

I think Inova made a good light. It feels very tough and is light enough to be forgotten about until it is needed. Is it better than the G2L.... Well YES and No. It is brighter and has a regulated output. It can use 17670's and run flat...and the led does not make the light step down in power when it gets hot. It is more water resistant and has a clip...(and in my case the P60L that came in my light was VERY BLUE) this led is white...just one sample...but how many bad color P60L's are out there that we have all seen or heard about.

That is also where the G2L has serious advantages over the 6V. The G2L can work with a Malkoff or any other same sized dropin (high output drop in users should be careful of heat issues) The G2L has a million holster, beam shaper and every other kind of accessory availible. The Inova does not have nearly as many. It does have weapons mounts, holsters and a preasure switch availible though.

So, the Inforce 6V on its own vs. the G2L on its own....it is a easily better light IMHO. But the G2L has enough mod and accessories options that Inova may have a tough sell on its hands to try to convince SF buyers to switch over.

The fact that it has made what I would consider a Good light is a nice step in the right direction. Good job on this one Inova...

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Inova INFORCE 6V review w/pics & beamshots

Thanks for a honest review, Woodrow. This is one light I've been waiting for the reviews. In your opinion, do you think 6V has made a vast improvement over T1?

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

In a word...YES! It has a nice wide spill...but throws as well. The beam is cooler, but brighter and nicer. The clip is also a big deal to me.

Pure flood lovers may disagree with me though. But I like the 6V much better.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, looks like the Trios "flaw" isn't as bad (at least on yours) as I was starting to think. It definitely looks like a decent light for what it is. I too have a love/ hate relationship with Inova so I'm glad to see they're getting better. I'm interested in the 9V too, 17500's seem like they could make a really nice rechargeable package.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

In a word...YES! It has a nice wide spill...but throws as well. The beam is cooler, but brighter and nicer. The clip is also a big deal to me.

Pure flood lovers may disagree with me though. But I like the 6V much better.

Thanks!! Seems like it'll be on my wish list then ;)

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is that a gerund?
No, but close. It kind of looks like it, but the "is" is the verb. If he said "it is heat sinking to stay cool" then it would be. The noun generally needs an -ing added to become a gerund verb.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, TIROS is back.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

How big is that Tiros optic? have you tried to open it up to see the insides? after seeing that smooth beam I wonder how it would do with an MC-E behind those optics.

I also wonder what mod potential does it have.

Thanks for your review Woodrow

AlexGT

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Can the Buck circuit handle 2xRCR123?
How well does it run with an 17670?

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

The light feels sealed at the head...but I do not think a MC-E or even a Q5 would fit behind the Trios II in the 6V...it looks made for the little led it uses. As to 2x3.7v RCR's...I do not know... I don't have any. My 17650 is kind of old (a couple of years at least...worked fine at first...but kinda flickers every once in a while. Chao did not seem to have any problems though.

The good news is That I was able to fix the TIGHT tailcap issue. This morning my fingers actually hurt from twisting the tailcap on and off hundreds of times last night..trying to break it in. When I looked closely, the O-ring looked rather large and thick for a light this size. I took it out and exchanged it with a O-ring from a Rayovac 3W. The Rayovac's O-ring is only Slightly smaller than the Inova's...but has completely solved the binding problem the light had before. Now, the tailcap takes enough preasure to turn that I have no worries about it turning on its own..even in a bag or pocket...but the lok-tite is gone! Hard to believe that something as simple as using a little too big of a one cent O-ring could cause a light to be less enjoyable. Luckily we CPF'ers always have extra O-rings sitting arround! I like the 6V even more now that I do not have to fight with it to turn it on and off!

Last edited:

BIGLOU

Enlightened

I also have the Target/Inova X5, XO3 and the microlight. I had to get the 9v and it looks like its going to be mandatory for me to get the 6v too. I was thinking of cutting out the foam part where batteries go on my 9v case it comes with so I could put the 6v inside too. As soon as I get the 6v in post photos.

Chao

Enlightened

Good job, thanks, and I am looking my spare O-rings, see whether I can find one that can fits well. I like this light, just the tailcap issue bother me a lot.

My 17650 is kind of old (a couple of years at least...worked fine at first...but kinda flickers every once in a while. Chao did not seem to have any problems though.

I actually also observed the flickers several times when using 17670, and it only flicking for within second.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great review

polkiuj

Enlightened

What LED does it use?? Is it a CREE X-PE ala color & white?

DM51

Flashaholic

Nice review. Could you perhaps do some comparison beamshots with competitor lights? It would be interesting to see how the TIR fares against others.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice review. Could you perhaps do some comparison beamshots with competitor lights? It would be interesting to see how the TIR fares against others.

Sorry, but internet was down for the weekend, but I thought I would add some comparrison beamshots as suggested. Of course I have run into two problems. One, I returned my SF with the P60L in it because my sample's beam was blue enough to apear in a Eiffel 65 video...and the g2L really is the light that the 6V was made to combat...and secondly, the moon is now full outside, making outdoor beamshots difficult. So I have settled for some indoor shots comparing the 6V with the Olight M20 and T20 on high and medium.

All stots are at f/2.8 at 2/10th's of a second. Iso is 64, WB is daylight. All lights are using 2x123a's.

First, comparred to the Olight T20M Q5 on high and medium.

Olight T20 High
3502997181_070179d8ae.jpg

Inova Inforce 6V
3503809196_526e86cd31.jpg

Olight T20 Medium
3503808818_40702fd6c9.jpg

Olight M20 R2 OP High
3503808682_141b87a782.jpg

Inova 6V
3503809196_526e86cd31.jpg

Olight M20 Medium
3503809044_f8d3d49851.jpg

and for fun, the Olight M20 low
3503808884_d94de376b9.jpg

One nice thing about the multi-level lights, is that you do have those low levels for walking around the house at night without disturbing anyone. The 6V is brighter than both Olights on medium. I do like its beam though...I really do feel Inova did a great job of making a good compramise between spot and flood. Sorry again for no P60L comparrison though...anyone who has a 6V and P60L is welcome to post a comparrison pic here.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice review with pics woodrow thankyou. I will have to look into picking up a new Inova.