EAGTAC        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trustfire TR-001 Charger

Default Trustfire TR-001 Charger

This would seem to be the new one , that fixes what was wrong with the previous one ..

Anyway , Open Circuit = 4.2volt Charging Volts 4.05 as near as I can tell .

2 channel charger .. Seems to charge at a constant rate that drops as the battery becomes loaded . [ Nice ]
    Charge rate :

1. With a 18650 @ 3.69v C1 does o.55A C2 does o.5A
    2. With a 18650 @ 4.13v both do o.12A
    2.B 18650 @ 4.17v Charger is varying from o.o4A to o.o7A
    2.C 18650 @ 4.2v Charger is still charging at o.o2 - o.o4A - No green light as yet [ Trustfire 2500mAh Unprotected ]

3. With a RCR123A @ 3.91v both do o.31A
    4. With a RCR123A @ 4.07v both do o.15A
    5. With a RCR123A @ 4.11v both do o.12A
    6. With a RCR123A @ 4.17v both do o.o8A

Im currently charging a 18650 to see where it terminates .
    Then I will do a RCR123A

Well , I must say im impressed with the TR-001 , its a very clean and un-cluttered looking charger , it also handles RCR123A to 18650 with no problems or spacers needed . The case seems to be very robust in construction , and the entire unit does not seem cheap at all , it in fact feels - looks - and handles like it should cost more .

Speaking of price , $8.81USD

Just waiting on those batteries to charge now .. Ok I used the left channel to charge a 18650 Trustfire 2500mAh Unprotected batt , when it hit 4.22 I pulled the batt out and tried the right hand channel and it would not go red , Im currently charging a CR123A in the right hand charging slot , but it looks like the left side may have a problem and overcharge . I will try the right side with a 18650 [ Same brand etc ] to see if it works ok ..
    Currently charging a RCR123A in the right hand side ... Ok looks like about 4.22volt on the right hand slot for termination voltage , after resting the batt for 2 minutes , its reading 4.19v [ RCR123A ]

Conclusion

Ok bottom line , it overcharges and just does not look like it wants to shut of or go green at all , I just left the 18650 in there and it hit 4.23 no problems and looked like it just wanted to keep on going . If they could fix the overcharge problem , this would be a great charger , as it is , I can only recommend you dont put it on your shopping list .
    For a while there it looked good , I liked the way it charged the batteries , dropping mA as it got closer to 4.2v , but there is the crux of the problem , it just does not look like it wants to stop charging .

Great product if your looking burn your house down .

Matt
    Last edited by old4570; 04-30-2009 at 11:56 PM.

Default Re: Trustfire TR-001 Charger

Awaiting further impressions
    FWIW.. DX:4151

CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

Help Re: Trustfire TR-001 Charger

Aaaah yeah dx/sku.4151

Rumour has it that the latest incarnation of the WF-139 uses the same circuit board as the TR-001.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rose View Post
    Rumour has it that the latest incarnation of the WF-139 uses the same circuit board as the TR-001.
    One more batt test and I will open her up ...

hahah.. a check mark.

QA?

I like the length of the charging bay and the spring.. no more .38 special spacers!
    Last edited by csshih; 05-01-2009 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by csshih View Post
    hahah.. a check mark.

QA?

I like the length of the charging bay and the spring.. no more .38 special spacers!
    Thats for the UF WF-139 ... The tick .

old4570, your WF-139 is one of the new ones (has a license # on the back label)?

I like the fact the TR-001 does not need a spacer for 16340 cells.

Popcorn Trustfire TR-001 Charger - Charge graph

I tested the same charger. Here is the graph of charging process:

First bad thing - it overcharges a bit... 4.24V at the end.
    The other bad thing - after the charging had been ended and green led was switched on (FYI, it took more than 9 hours for 2400mAh battery) the charger was continue doing tickle charging at 40mA.
    Last edited by GrAndAG; 05-01-2009 at 02:34 PM.
    Fenix: L2D Q5, P2D Q5, P3D Q5, TK10, TK20; NiteCore: D10; JetBeam: III Pro; Olight: M20 Warrior Premium; Ultrafire:UF-501B (with various dropins), UF-700L 3xQ5; Tiablo: ACE MC-E; Zebralight: H30 Q5; PT: Quad

Yes , My 139 is one of the new ones ...

Tr001 , you def want to keep an eye on it with a Multi Meter .

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rose View Post
    old4570, your WF-139 is one of the new ones (has a license # on the back label)?

I like the fact the TR-001 does not need a spacer for 16340 cells.

Mine is new one with license# on the label.
    Circuit board is exactly the same with old4570's.
    That basically is "revised" old version circuit. Looks identical with "old" old version circuit. But it's open circuit voltage is about 5V. Bit slower and bit safer.

At the end this DX forum thread, a guy said this TR-801 circuit looks the same with that of his WF-139.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/forums/Fo...hreadid.307352

This TR-801 circuit is little differ from old4570's picture.
    See transformer and jumper wires.

Another person at WF-139 forum thread said the same story.
    Several other people said they got 14pin IC on their WF-139 circuit board. Note that old4570's picture shows no 14pin ICs at WF-139, but there is at TR-801.

Rolleye11 Re: Trustfire TR-001 Charger

It's easy to distinguish which version of WF-139 you have without disassembling...
    1st revision has ~10V open circuit, blinks while charging (CC/CV method)
    2nd revision has ~5V open circuit, blinks while charging (CC/CV method)
    3rd revision has ~4.3V open circuit, lights red while charging (lowering current method). Also it has labels printed using white paint, not silver as two previous.
    Fenix: L2D Q5, P2D Q5, P3D Q5, TK10, TK20; NiteCore: D10; JetBeam: III Pro; Olight: M20 Warrior Premium; Ultrafire:UF-501B (with various dropins), UF-700L 3xQ5; Tiablo: ACE MC-E; Zebralight: H30 Q5; PT: Quad

Quote Originally Posted by GrAndAG View Post
    It's easy to distinguish which version of WF-139 you have without disassembling...
    3rd revision has ~4.3V open circuit, lights red while charging (lowering current method). Also it has labels printed using white paint, not silver as two previous.
    Thanks for letting us know simple way to distinguish.
    So, the question is "Does this 3rd version have the circuit that looks like that of TR-801?" Can someone show us a pic of the circuit?

Popcorn Re: Trustfire TR-001 Charger

Quote Originally Posted by seaside View Post
    Can someone show us a pic of the circuit?

Taken from here

PS. Just thought... Maybe 3rd revision is just a faked UltraFire?

Taken from here

PS. Just thought... Maybe 3rd revision is just a faked UltraFire?
    Thanks for the pic.

It definitely is not TR-801, but I can see why some guys at DX clamed their WF circuit looks like TR-001 circuit. Top part doesn't looks like either TR-001 or old version WF-139. Bottom part looks quite similar with TR-001. With less amount of parts used with this 3rd version, it looks cheaper than old version.

I am getting the same question, is it revision change or fake?

It's possible, but why would someone go to the trouble of making a fake WF-139?

Mine appears to be the second version... open circuit = 4.9V and blinking.

Is that better than the version 1 or 3?

Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    Mine appears to be the second version... open circuit = 4.9V and blinking.

Is that better than the version 1 or 3?
    Mine is as Kramer's also (open circuit =4.94v and blinks red-green-red while charging)... and I have the same question.

When charging 16340's, the light turns green when the cells hit 4.14v - 4.15v. which seems good to me. But I have to wonder, is this charger (by its charging method) slowly killing my Li-Ions even if it isn't charging them over 4.2v?

I have to wonder that as well. It seems that with the WF-139 it's the cells protection circuit that stops the charge, which can't be good in the long run.

I bought one of the Yoho-122 chargers from Battery Station to charge my 17670 and 18650 cells, but still use a WF-139 for my 16340 cells.

I don't think there is a decent/affordable 16340 only charger out there that uses the proper CC/CV algorithm.

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    Mine is as Kramer's also (open circuit =4.94v and blinks red-green-red while charging)... and I have the same question.

When charging 16340's, the light turns green when the cells hit 4.14v - 4.15v. which seems good to me. But I have to wonder, is this charger (by its charging method) slowly killing my Li-Ions even if it isn't charging them over 4.2v?
    Mine is 2nd revision too according to GrAndAG.
    Open circuit voltage is about 5.3V for mine. It goes down to 4.9V when indicator LED goes Red to green every few seconds. It's charging voltage can go up to 4.35V while charging. But when you take the battery off and measure the voltage it's less than 4.2V. Anyway it tends to charge 4.21~2V with my 18650, 4.14~6V with my 16340 just as DHart said. I think it's voltage regulation is kinda scary, and it could slowly kill Li-ions in the long run. But Li-ion can't last forever, and the question is how slow is OK? I wouln't mind it too much if it kills my battery slow enough like 500th charge or so. It seems like people can get away without problem.
    Last edited by seaside; 05-05-2009 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post

x2... my WF-139 behaves exactly the same way. So I think its a version2 charger.

Am I killing my cells, even though charge terminates at 4.2?

Just depends on how high they go .. If mine were to terminate @ 4.22v often after 15 minutes out of the charger the batt voltage drops bellow 4.2 , dep on the batt , often down to 4.17 or around 4.19 volts .

One way is to keep an eye on them with a Multimeter if that worries you .
    My next charger mod is going to be incorporating a mA meter to the Trustfire to watch the charging rate , so I have a clue when to pull the batts out .
    Hopefully it should work OK !

Flashaholic*

Just found this thread ... My Trustfire TR-001 open circuit voltage on each channel is 4.24 volts ... It seems to be nicely built out of a solid grey plastic ... It has the red LED on whilst charging ... The label is silver with black printing ... It was bought earlier this year ... I have not left the charger on long enough when charging my 18650s to see a green LED come on ... I check the battery voltage regularly and when it gets to 4.21 volts, I don't put them back on charge.

When I try a charged battery (4.21V) back in the charger, the green light comes on ... That is strange as the red light was on when I took the battery off charge ... I don't understand why the charger suddenly decides that the replaced cell is charged ... There must be a reason I suppose.

It seems that the final fifty millivolts or so take hours to come up to the 4.2 volts point ... The charger does not get warm, neither do the batteries, but I am somewhat apprehensive about leaving my batteries in for hours on end ... The battery does get up to 4.1 volts reasonably quickly ... It is the final 10% capacity that seems to take for ever.

With a charger open circuit voltage of only 4.24 volts, perhaps it might be possible to leave the 18650s on charge unsupervised for a while ... Though it might be tempting providence.

Actually I have left mine overnight by accident , and while it does overcharge by a fraction , after some rest the batteries are 4.2v

Even when left overnight , I found them @ 4.2v in the morning ...
    Overall , it is a good charger ..

When I first got it , everyone was doom and gloom about going over 4.2v
    But Im not worried any longer about 0.02 overcharge , if it was doing 4.25v or more , then maybe , but 0.02v is nothing .

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by march.brown View Post
    Just found this thread ... My Trustfire TR-001 open circuit voltage on each channel is 4.24 volts ... It seems to be nicely built out of a solid grey plastic ... It has the red LED on whilst charging ... The label is silver with black printing ... It was bought earlier this year ... I have not left the charger on long enough when charging my 18650s to see a green LED come on ... I check the battery voltage regularly and when it gets to 4.21 volts, I don't put them back on charge.

When I try a charged battery (4.21V) back in the charger, the green light comes on ... That is strange as the red light was on when I took the battery off charge ... I don't understand why the charger suddenly decides that the replaced cell is charged ... There must be a reason I suppose.

It seems that the final fifty millivolts or so take hours to come up to the 4.2 volts point ... The charger does not get warm, neither do the batteries, but I am somewhat apprehensive about leaving my batteries in for hours on end ... The battery does get up to 4.1 volts reasonably quickly ... It is the final 10% capacity that seems to take for ever.

With a charger open circuit voltage of only 4.24 volts, perhaps it might be possible to leave the 18650s on charge unsupervised for a while ... Though it might be tempting providence.

Hooray ...

I was at the desk reading CPF when the LED went green ... I immediately stopped the charge and measured the 18650 and it was 4.21 volts.

As the meter only measures to two decimal places, I guess the actual voltage could be somewhere between 4.205V and 4.215V, so maybe the actual point at which the LED goes green is nearer the 4.215 volts ... If this is the case, I won't worry about the cells being 15 millivolts ('ish) over the 4.2V recommended threshold.

Anyway, at least I know now that the LED actually does turn to green.

This charger is certainly cheap but definitely not nasty (so far).

Quote Originally Posted by old4570 View Post
    Actually I have left mine overnight by accident , and while it does overcharge by a fraction , after some rest the batteries are 4.2v

Even when left overnight , I found them @ 4.2v in the morning ...
    Overall , it is a good charger ..
    The problem with over charging Li-Ion cells at lower voltages (<4.35 Volts), isn't the voltage so much, as the fact that when a Li-Ion cell is allowed to "trickle" charge past 4.20 Volts, metallic lithium is plated to the anode of the cell. This can create a very unstable cell. Metallic lithium can be deposited onto the anode, even if a charger doesn't go over 4.20 Volts, but maintains a "trickle' charge at said voltage. That's why a proper Li-Ion charging algorithm stops charging at 4.20 Volts, and why these inexpensive (OK, "cheapo"!) types of chargers should not be left unattended.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 45/70 View Post
    The problem with over charging Li-Ion cells at lower voltages (<4.35 Volts), isn't the voltage so much, as the fact that when a Li-Ion cell is allowed to "trickle" charge past 4.20 Volts, metallic lithium is plated to the anode of the cell. This can create a very unstable cell. Metallic lithium can be deposited onto the anode, even if a charger doesn't go over 4.20 Volts, but maintains a "trickle' charge at said voltage. That's why a proper Li-Ion charging algorithm stops charging at 4.20 Volts, and why these inexpensive (OK, "cheapo"!) types of chargers should not be left unattended.

Dave
    Yes by no means trust it ! especially with unprotected batteries .
    The only charger so far that shuts off when done is the Shekore charger from KD for around $10 [ A little more than 10 ] . Its the only charger thats cheap and actually turns of on completion that I know of so far .

I dont use the charger much since i use Duraloops most of the time. When i check the voltage of a cell when its done charging i usually get a 4.15-4.17.......never above that. I bought my charger from 4 7's.

Banned

I received mine a few days ago.

4.266 V measured in open voltage. Led is green when plugged with no battery, that turns red when a battery is inserted.

Click to enlarge:

Last edited by Tally-ho; 05-02-2010 at 05:14 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast