Trustfire TR-001 Charger

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
This would seem to be the new one , that fixes what was wrong with the previous one :thinking:..

Anyway , Open Circuit = 4.2volt Charging Volts 4.05 as near as I can tell .

2 channel charger .. Seems to charge at a constant rate that drops as the battery becomes loaded . [ Nice ]
Charge rate :

1. With a 18650 @ 3.69v C1 does o.55A C2 does o.5A
2. With a 18650 @ 4.13v both do o.12A
2.B 18650 @ 4.17v Charger is varying from o.o4A to o.o7A
2.C 18650 @ 4.2v Charger is still charging at o.o2 - o.o4A - No green light as yet [ Trustfire 2500mAh Unprotected ]

3. With a RCR123A @ 3.91v both do o.31A
4. With a RCR123A @ 4.07v both do o.15A
5. With a RCR123A @ 4.11v both do o.12A
6. With a RCR123A @ 4.17v both do o.o8A

Im currently charging a 18650 to see where it terminates .
Then I will do a RCR123A

Well , I must say im impressed with the TR-001 , its a very clean and un-cluttered looking charger , it also handles RCR123A to 18650 with no problems or spacers needed . The case seems to be very robust in construction , and the entire unit does not seem cheap at all , it in fact feels - looks - and handles like it should cost more .

Speaking of price , $8.81USD :paypal:

Just waiting on those batteries to charge now .. Ok I used the left channel to charge a 18650 Trustfire 2500mAh Unprotected batt , when it hit 4.22 I pulled the batt out and tried the right hand channel and it would not go red , Im currently charging a CR123A in the right hand charging slot , but it looks like the left side may have a problem and overcharge . I will try the right side with a 18650 [ Same brand etc ] to see if it works ok ..
Currently charging a RCR123A in the right hand side ... Ok looks like about 4.22volt on the right hand slot for termination voltage , after resting the batt for 2 minutes , its reading 4.19v [ RCR123A ]

Conclusion

Ok bottom line , it overcharges and just does not look like it wants to shut of or go green at all , I just left the 18650 in there and it hit 4.23 no problems and looked like it just wanted to keep on going . If they could fix the overcharge problem , this would be a great charger , as it is , I can only recommend you dont put it on your shopping list .
For a while there it looked good , I liked the way it charged the batteries , dropping mA as it got closer to 4.2v , but there is the crux of the problem , it just does not look like it wants to stop charging .

Great product if your looking burn your house down .

Matt

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
hahah.. a check mark.

QA?

I like the length of the charging bay and the spring.. no more .38 special spacers! :p

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
old4570, your WF-139 is one of the new ones (has a license # on the back label)?

I like the fact the TR-001 does not need a spacer for 16340 cells.

GrAndAG

Newly Enlightened
Trustfire TR-001 Charger - Charge graph

I tested the same charger. Here is the graph of charging process:
vaavg.png

First bad thing - it overcharges a bit... 4.24V at the end.
The other bad thing - after the charging had been ended and green led was switched on (FYI, it took more than 9 hours for 2400mAh battery) the charger was continue doing tickle charging at 40mA.

Last edited:

seaside

Enlightened
old4570, your WF-139 is one of the new ones (has a license # on the back label)?

I like the fact the TR-001 does not need a spacer for 16340 cells.

Mine is new one with license# on the label.
Circuit board is exactly the same with old4570's.
That basically is "revised" old version circuit. Looks identical with "old" old version circuit. But it's open circuit voltage is about 5V. Bit slower and bit safer.

At the end this DX forum thread, a guy said this TR-801 circuit looks the same with that of his WF-139.
http://www.dealextreme.com/forums/Forums.dx/Forum.4151~threadid.307352

This TR-801 circuit is little differ from old4570's picture.
See transformer and jumper wires.

Another person at WF-139 forum thread said the same story.
Several other people said they got 14pin IC on their WF-139 circuit board. Note that old4570's picture shows no 14pin ICs at WF-139, but there is at TR-801.

GrAndAG

Newly Enlightened
It's easy to distinguish which version of WF-139 you have without disassembling...
1st revision has ~10V open circuit, blinks while charging (CC/CV method)
2nd revision has ~5V open circuit, blinks while charging (CC/CV method)
3rd revision has ~4.3V open circuit, lights red while charging (lowering current method). Also it has labels printed using white paint, not silver as two previous.

seaside

Enlightened
It's easy to distinguish which version of WF-139 you have without disassembling...
3rd revision has ~4.3V open circuit, lights red while charging (lowering current method). Also it has labels printed using white paint, not silver as two previous.

Thanks for letting us know simple way to distinguish.
So, the question is "Does this 3rd version have the circuit that looks like that of TR-801?" Can someone show us a pic of the circuit?

seaside

Enlightened

Taken from here

PS. Just thought... Maybe 3rd revision is just a faked UltraFire?

Thanks for the pic.

It definitely is not TR-801, but I can see why some guys at DX clamed their WF circuit looks like TR-001 circuit. Top part doesn't looks like either TR-001 or old version WF-139. Bottom part looks quite similar with TR-001. With less amount of parts used with this 3rd version, it looks cheaper than old version.

I am getting the same question, is it revision change or fake?

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Mine appears to be the second version... open circuit = 4.9V and blinking.

Is that better than the version 1 or 3?

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine appears to be the second version... open circuit = 4.9V and blinking.

Is that better than the version 1 or 3?

Mine is as Kramer's also (open circuit =4.94v and blinks red-green-red while charging)... and I have the same question. :popcorn:

When charging 16340's, the light turns green when the cells hit 4.14v - 4.15v. which seems good to me. But I have to wonder, is this charger (by its charging method) slowly killing my Li-Ions even if it isn't charging them over 4.2v?

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to wonder that as well. It seems that with the WF-139 it's the cells protection circuit that stops the charge, which can't be good in the long run.

I bought one of the Yoho-122 chargers from Battery Station to charge my 17670 and 18650 cells, but still use a WF-139 for my 16340 cells.

I don't think there is a decent/affordable 16340 only charger out there that uses the proper CC/CV algorithm.