Will this mag mod work?

Leathermanwave

Newly Enlightened
This will be my first maglite hotwire so I thought that I should ask and make sure it will work before I buy all the parts.
I am planning on using a 4d maglite (already own), a 12aa to 4d adapter (I am building my own), 12 rayovac rechargeable AAs from Walmart, this bulb, a bi-pin adapter, reflector, and lens.
Acording to this It should be puttting out about 2000 lumens and run at about 105 degrees.
Will the stock lens and reflector be able to take that tempature or do I absolutely need a new one? If so, does the reflector need a 15mm opening or can it use a 8.3mm opening? And finally, is there some major flaw in my plan that will make my flashlight blow up?:poof:

davidt

Enlightened
I don't know what the 105 degrees applies to but I have a mag mod with the same 64440 bulb and the entire mag head runs hotter than 105 degrees. I have only tried running my hotwire 10 minutes straignt but the head gets extremely hot. I never measured the temperature of the head, but after 10 minutes I can't hold onto the mag head for more than a few seconds. Its like holding onto hot coffee in a thin plastic cup.

You will definitly need to get a glass lens and metal reflector. The beam is so hot that if I place my hand 2 inches from the lens I can only do it for 3 seconds. Will easily ignite newspaper.

I don't think that bi-pin adapter will work. The pins on the bulb itself a pretty wide part. If you don't get a kiu tower the heat transferred to the adapter from the bulb will start melting stock parts in the mag tower.

The bulb itself is about 13mm in diameter so you can't use a 8.3mm opening reflector.

Also I don't know if the rayovacs will handle high current so well. Maybe somebody ease more knowledgeable can tell you.

Leathermanwave

Newly Enlightened
I don't think that bi-pin adapter will work. The pins on the bulb itself a pretty wide part. If you don't get a kiu tower the heat transferred to the adapter from the bulb will start melting stock parts in the mag tower.

What do you mean by a kiu tower? Is there a different bi-pin adapter that would work?

davidt

Enlightened
Here is the socket: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/171607

I forgot to mention, the 64440 bulb is pretty long. So if you used the bi-pin adapter from kaidomain the bulb would never focus because you wouldn't be able to get the bulb to sit low enough in the mag body for the reflector to focus the bulb.

With the kiu socket you can get the bulb to sit low enough in the mag body to get the reflector to focus properly. You would have to assemble your socket like the "halogen Bi-pin" pic in the above metioned link to get your bulb to focus.