Foxfury Scout
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Surefire Titan T1A Pics & Info

Default Re: Surefire Titan T1A Pics & Info

My T1A is also way more floody than the ti Titan and it also has a donut for about 50cm downrange until it blends and is gone.

I am not sure if this intended or not though. I like the floody beam, but as Frenchy said, the to Titan has a way brighter hotspot.

bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Strange, my T1A does not have a donut/black hole at all. Hotspot is very diffused but it is there. This is definitely not a light for people who want a lot of throw.
    Last edited by Sean; 05-21-2009 at 03:52 PM.

Boy I am a little concerned about all the mention of the flood beam. I don't want something that is too floody. Anyone have any comparision to a Bitz? To me the Bitz was about the floodiest I prefer in a beam. It was a good balance. I don't expect the Titan to be a thrower by any means but I like a little bit of throw/hotspot too.

I compared to an Alum. Bitz. T1A is slightly more floody, however the Titan T1A does have a hot spot at shorter distances. Bitz seems marginally brighter with a primary. The tint of the Titan is much more toward blue, when comparing and making comparisons difficult to my eyes.
    Last edited by jeffb; 05-21-2009 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
    I compared to an Alum. Bitz. T1A is slightly more floody, however the Titan T1A does has a hot spot a shorter distances. Bitz seems marginally brighter with a primary. The tint of the Titan is much more toward blue, when comparing and makes comparisons difficult to my eyes.
    Thanks for the comparison to the Bitz. Maybe it wont be too bad if it is only slightly floodier than the Bitz.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Kiessling View Post
    My T1A is also way more floody than the ti Titan and it also has a donut for about 50cm downrange until it blends and is gone.

I am not sure if this intended or not though. I like the floody beam, but as Frenchy said, the to Titan has a way brighter hotspot.

bernie
    Mine has the donut also. I'd like to know if it was intended or if it should be sent to SF for replacement/adjustment.
    Old-Style Maglite C & D switches for sale:
    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=165903

Mine has no donut hole at all. The T1A is a FLOODY light. If you don't like flood this isn't the light for you.

Flashaholic*

Just spoke to cust serv over at surefire, if I had ordered from them directly the estimated ship date would be mid june. I'm thinkin about it! Doug
    Grateful friend of Bill W.

So has anyone opened up his or her Titan T1A yet (inside the bezel)?

Does the top part of the bezel twist off to get at the reflector? It looks like the bezel is two pieces. Also, someone mentioned that there is screws for the pill. Does anyone know if it looks like it can be opened/modded? Thanks.

The tint of T1A is definitely cooler than the one of my original Titan, there's no trace of a donut even at short distance and no artifacts can be seen in the beam. Surely floodier than the titanium sibling, the hotspot is much less defined.

I am very happy I got them both.

Flashaholic*

Mine has a doughnut hole as well and the LED is noticeably off center. I'll probably seek a replacement, something I never do. Other than that it seems like a great light. Just a little disappointed with something as simple as emitter placement slipping through QC.
    Keep it simple.

Quote Originally Posted by regulator View Post
    Does the top part of the bezel twist off to get at the reflector? It looks like the bezel is two pieces. Also, someone mentioned that there is screws for the pill. Does anyone know if it looks like it can be opened/modded? Thanks.
    Maybe change out the reflector to a smooth one. Shame to waste all of those lumens on flood, as it won't be doing well in ambient lighting. Really close in would be ok, but lots of AAA lights can do that.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    Maybe change out the reflector to a smooth one. Shame to waste all of those lumens on flood, as it won't be doing well in ambient lighting. Really close in would be ok, but lots of AAA lights can do that.

Bill
    That is what I was thinking. The SSC LED is pretty smooth to begin with and ALL flood and no throw is not a good thing. Then again, I do not even own a T1A to make a judement. I do like a good amount of flood in a small light. But there were a couple that I used to own (with Seoul LED) that I did not like at all because they were all flood and seems dim because of this.

I have recently purchased a UK 4C SL4 that uses a Seuol LED with smooth reflector and the beam is very smooth and throws very well. I will post a write up soon on that one since I have never seen one done here on that light before. It is the newest version rated and 116 lumens (which is probably out the front).

Anyways, I really like the UI and style of the T1A. I also like the way the light operates and there is no gap between the head and body when in Off or On. No way of the head comming off when in off position.

Flashaholic*

Shame to waste all of those lumens on flood, as it won't be doing well in ambient lighting. Really close in would be ok, but lots of AAA lights can do that...Bill
    I have a T1A and to a certain point I agree. I don't understand why Surefire made the beam so floody.

Beam design of any light is a compromise. The T1A beam works very well for close-range tasks. E.g, reading a book, looking in a dark closet, etc.

However more general-purpose beams can still do that, while retaining some longer-range characteristics. E.g, the original U2 beam was a masterpiece -- it had a hotspot, but the spillbeam was so bright it worked decently at close range, while retaining mid and medium-long range capability.

Personally I would have tweaked the T1A beam to be slightly more throw-oriented. This could have been done with minimal impact to its close-range capability.

On a positive note, the T1A beam is aesthetically nice -- very smooth with no artifacts (except below about 12 inches). The brightness control is totally smooth and visually linear. Control feel isn't gritty or sticky. The low level is incredibly low -- I'd estimate about 0.003 lumens. There's no flicker at all.

The T1A is a great EDC light, especially strong for shorter-range tasks. Anything requiring dim illumination with fully dark-adapted eyes is another strong point.

The problem is "EDC" implies you might use it for anything. Statistically you're more likely to need short-range illumination. But say you need to illuminate your car across a dark parking lot -- that kind of thing. The T1A is weak on that, whereas other common EDC lights (say the Ra) have some medium/long-range capability while retaining close-range ability.

I think Surefire could have retained 90% of its close-range capability with a slightly more general-purpose, throw-oriented beam design. Say about 1/2 way between the current T1A and U2, or 1/2 way between the T1A and Ra lights. It just needs a little more distinct hotspot, while retaining a very bright spillbeam.

Maybe after I use my T1A several more weeks I'll change my mind, but that's my current opinion.

I agree with joema. The beam of the original Titan would have been ideal.
    I don't think the focussed and narrow spill of the U2 could have been achieved with the small refelctor in the Titan.
    bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

+1 !!

I would be very happy if my T1A had my Ti Titan beam....Because I prefer the smooth action of the T1A and the beam of my Ti Titan... Never happy isn't it

I wonder if the reflector can be removed. And if it can be removed, is there anything available that would provide just a bit more focus. This is the only thing that has me in a holding pattern right now.

Nicely done - I really like that you put in some 'real world' beamshots along with the white wall stuff.

You guys suck.

Bad influence ya'll are I tells ya.

I just placed an order with Mike to get my hands on my own copy.

I'll post impressions and beamshots possibly added to this thread if its ok with the OP as not to clutter the boards with Titan TIA posts? Or a separate one started is fine with me as well.

The non flickering and low low is gonna be awesome.
    TWO is ONE and ONE is NONE, but THREE is more FUN.
    My beamshot gallery

Quote Originally Posted by EV_007 View Post

I'll post impressions and beamshots possibly added to this thread if its ok with the OP as not to clutter the boards with Titan TIA posts?
    By all means, post away!

Enlightened

Just ordered one from BugOutGear. I sure hope mine turns out fine.

Flashaholic*

Returned my T1A due to a severely off-center emitter but Surefire (fixed/replaced?) it pronto with great customer service. The replacement emitter is still off center but much better than before. Man, the UI on this thing is pretty amazing and so easy to use one handed. It may not be a hardcore thrower but its definitely not pure flood. Just about perfect beam profile for close to medium range tasks.
    Keep it simple.

Flashaholic*

Does anyone know the dimensions of the tailcap O-ring? I like to have spares on hand just in case.
    Keep it simple.

So I just received mine in the mail today. I haven't been this excited about a new light since the U2 came out.

Multi-level, small, compact light that I can have on me at all times is my requirements for LEDs. This may be the ticket.

I was preparing myself for the angry blue I've heard reported from some owners. So I twisted it on and held my breath... WOW! No angry blue here folks. Looks very white, not blue, or purple or green for all that matter. Best way to describe the beam color is clean. The low is very low, which is awesome. Ramping it up with smooth gradation of brightness is just excellent. The indent to the lowest before shutting off is genius.

I was really worried about the angry blue and the low not being low enough.

The lowest light I have is a photon with a low low, but the Titan T1A goes much lower. And no PWM flickering crap either.

Floody, clean beam with smooth regulated brightness levels. This may be my new EDC. It won't replace my incans for long range full specturm duty by any means, but then again that's not what it was designed to do.

Being able to use the low level and twisting it as needed for more light from the off position will be the biggest benefit. Especially when at the theater or restaraunt. My other three level light defaults to the medium PWM mode which is too bright and I would often times have to shield the light until I bumped it down to the low mode, which was still a bit too high and flicker city, which attracted attention.

Stay tuned for pics coming soon.
    Last edited by EV_007; 06-22-2009 at 04:36 PM.
    My beamshot gallery

EV_007, if you have a lightmeter would you check lux on highest setting at one meter. I have been on the fence regarding this light as it apparently has well under 1000 Lux at one meter on high, and I am thinking that with 60-70+ lumens that I want some ability to use in daylight under the hood, for example, or in high ambient light areas for at least close up work. I would think that decent lux on high would really complement the T1A making it more EDC able, from a low low to a not too bright, but practable high, or am I just shooting in the dark and expecting too much?

Bill

EV_007, if you have a lightmeter would you check lux on highest setting at one meter. I have been on the fence regarding this light as it apparently has well under 1000 Lux at one meter on high, and I am thinking that with 60-70+ lumens that I want some ability to use in daylight under the hood, for example, or in high ambient light areas for at least close up work. I would think that decent lux on high would really complement the T1A making it more EDC able, from a low low to a not too bright, but practable high, or am I just shooting in the dark and expecting too much?

Bill
    I have a camera light meter, not a sphere or any specialized light meter ala CPF style.

The high is pretty bright actually. Close up work within a few feet should be fine. Although the narrower spectrum nature of LED may get washed out in shaded areas under daylight.
    My beamshot gallery

Flashaholic

Any of you titan owners experienced this? How common is it?
    Last edited by Splunk_Au; 06-23-2009 at 03:39 AM.

Bill
    My reading at one meter is 550 lux. I am not sure though that this is a right way of measuring a light that practically has no hotspot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilovolt View Post
    My reading at one meter is 550 lux. I am not sure though that this is a right way of measuring a light that practically has no hotspot.
    If that is the highest reading then you did your best. If lux remains fairly high in the flood then that is good. I would prefer more lux, but the reflector and fairly small head probably do not allow much in the way of high lux. Just the way it is.

Bill