Is there an idiot's guide to LED emitters and 'drivers'?

underground

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone - I didn't see an intro thread so I'm just wading in with the first of what will probably be a lot of questions! I'm a beginner to lighting - being a caver I own a Speleotechnics FX-ION with 14 LEDs but they are getting bit old and dim, so I'm looking at self build options.

I'm keen to learn some fundamentals of LED technology and the associated 'drivers', or bucks, or regulators, or whatever other things are out there.

I'd like to know how to select the componenets, really - and find a solution to my dilemma:

How does a man select a suitable 'driver' for a given LED or two? I think I want to use 2 x Cree XR-E R2 emitters at 1W each, judging by the Googling I've done, and I think it's be nice to

a: Run them at different power levels
b: Possibly independent of each other or together
c: Using both Alkaline and NiMh 'AA' batteries or other options (such as LiIon batteries, etc.)
d: Fit it all inside a mining headlamp (not the batteries :laughing:)

I know there are a number of commercially available solutions, but I'd quite like to do this to learn something, and if at all possible, save a decent amount of cash in the process....

Thanks for reading!

Marduke

Flashaholic
I recommend starting here. Once you read through that, feel free to ask your remaining questions and we'll guide you through your LED learning experience.

And from a fellow caver, :welcome:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
why individually settable led?

2 led in series, one wide beam, one tighter (depending on the caves You are in, possibly better both with medium flood)
one multilevel driver
one switch to operate

--> smaller, easier to do, cheaper, less things that can go bad

underground

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies guys - I'll check the link first and see how I get on.

yellow - I kind of assumed that it would be necessary to select flood or tight beam and that these would be LED specific dependent on the lenses used on each. I'd likely use flood as the 'normal' light at a number of brightness levels dependent on size of passage and proximity of roof, and the tight beam for looking up into overhead shafts, big chambers etc.

And I assumed that generally one of these bright LEDs would be enough so wouldn't want both burning all the time to extend battery life.

But, assumption being what it is, I'm keen to be educated otherwise if I'm incorrect :)

I do like this general priciple though:
yellow said:
--> smaller, easier to do, cheaper, less things that can go bad

Marduke

Flashaholic
Sounds like you want to make a Serv-Light, or a Sten-Light with one size using a flood optic, and the other using a throw optic.

Alternatively, there are numerous lights out there which do exactly what you want already.

underground

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't turn my nose up at a Stenlight to be honest, it's a question of expense, unfortunately!