Who makes the best new thrower? 2009.

AngryFish

Newly Enlightened
So, I'm looking for a high quality light with lots and lots of throw. Not overly concerned with spill. Dont want to spend much over $200.00 Was originally looking at raidfire spear but it seems a bit outdated with the new lights on the market being brighter. Looked at TK40 but i would assume with the quad emmiter it will be less throw and more floody. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, AF.

Edited to add that I have already used the search function and read through various shootouts. Just trying to get some opinions.

Last edited:

krazy89

Enlightened
hey... well.. the Spear actually still fairs pretty good against the newer ones... ie. DBS series... and i think selfbuilt did some measurements... andt he Spear actually beat the newest version of the DBS's... (IIRC)

as for the best thrower... i know the Tialo A9 with aspheric head is probably gonna be one of the best ones around...

other than that... maybe a modded mag with aspheric...

KraZy

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Tiablo A10 is R2 is the greatest thrower to date. I beleive it did 50k lux at 5meters estimated in MrGmans test. Search threads started by him and you will find the thrower lux readings.

The Tiablo is under $200 and there is one in the Market place used in LNIB for $120. (no I am not the seller).

FYI: The Tiablo A10 R2 throws equally as good as my Maglight Aspheric R2, but the Tiablo has some spill as opposed to my Maglight has no-spill.

Jose

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best production thrower is old Tiablo A9 with aspherical head upgrade. It has almost 70k lux.

AngryFish

Newly Enlightened
Just found info about the DEFT as well. Looks like it may be quite the light saber.

Tiablo A10 or A9 with lens upgrade or DEFT. not sure. I might get a tiablo and a DEFT.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Hehehe, we do actually (the Throwgod), but the prototype will probably not be made until fall of this year, and it will be a good bit more than 200 bucks, gotta be pretty hush-hush about it according to my partners though. I can tell you, however, that we're seeing upwards of a megalux and a half (1,500,000 lux) through testing of the system itself (aspheric version), and almost literally a laser beam with a 3 inch hotspot at 50 feet... The Excalibur is not bad at all either in the throw department, much more practical obviously (conventional beam), using the reflector we spec'd out, the beam looks kind of like the Streamlight Super Tac's actually, but with a much wider 80 degree flood and a literally flawless beam, gradual corona, and spill thanks to the lance, and a hell of a lot brighter of course.

Last edited:

AngryFish

Newly Enlightened
Sounds intriguing. I will be keeping an eye on your posts for more info.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Hehehe, we do actually (the Throwgod), but the prototype will probably not be made until fall of this year, and it will be a good bit more than 200 bucks, gotta be pretty hush-hush about it according to my partners though. I can tell you, however, that we're seeing upwards of a megalux and a half (1,500,000 lux) through testing of the system itself (aspheric version), and almost literally a laser beam with a 3 inch hotspot at 50 feet... The Excalibur is not bad at all either in the throw department, much more practical obviously (conventional beam), using the reflector we spec'd out, the beam looks kind of like the Streamlight Super Tac's actually, but with a much wider 80 degree flood and a literally flawless beam, gradual corona, and spill thanks to the lance, and a hell of a lot brighter of course.

Great...now you opened up the can of worms!! J/K...

I'm a fan of throwers but have never really dived into the aspherics just yet. I'm thinking about modding my Fenix T1 into an aspheric...but haven't had the time yet.

The "Throwgod" eh? Nice...:thumbsup: Is your avatar a similarity of it?

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
If a light is going to have a laserlike beam, then why not just get a laser? a beam that small isn't all that useful for actually illuminating things.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
I've never seen a white light laser before......I think it will be pretty cool!

Plus, just using optics and finding the best way to shape, bend, and direct the light is fascinating to me.....

Pretty neat what people can do with these minds.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Great...now you opened up the can of worms!! J/K...

I'm a fan of throwers but have never really dived into the aspherics just yet. I'm thinking about modding my Fenix T1 into an aspheric...but haven't had the time yet.

The "Throwgod" eh? Nice...:thumbsup: Is your avatar a similarity of it?

Hehe, not really a similarity of it, just showing the concept, the four things you can see around the barrel would be the emitter + heatsink module + accumulator to pipe hubs, and below each of these hubs would be the pipe to lance hubs. The beam is definitely not literally laser thin, but it's still pretty dang thin, and extremely straight. Hey "guys", if you're reading this, don't kill me, this is still pretty hush-hush as I didn't go into any real specifics. Engineering a good durable and reliable casing / body for this system is another huge challenge, really.

If a light is going to have a laserlike beam, then why not just get a laser? a beam that small isn't all that useful for actually illuminating things.

Haha, tell that to Saabluster (DEFT). Who are you kidding? It's EXTREMELY useful for illuminating things AT A DISTANCE. It's obviously not going to be used for practical situations, though certain tactical situations will actually require extremely long range light where spill is a non-issue, as well as search and rescue operations when you're trying to scan FAR areas (trust me, I've volunteered with the Search and Rescue before). With this, you're getting into the whole needle spot versus medium spot argument, where the solution is obvious, get the light that will actually WORK for what you need it for. Gonna be in a close quarters urban combat situation? Bust out that E2DL or Fenix TK11! Longer range combat? Streamlight Super Tac! Searching with binoculars for a lost hiker on a mountainside? Throwgod!!! (Though to be honest, infrared binoculars would probably be the best solution for the latter...)

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Tiablo is under $200 and there is one in the Market place used in LNIB for $120. (no I am not the seller).

you called? :p $115 now.

haha, anyways.. the tiablo A9 with the aspheric will throw quite a bit farther.
not much spill though.

the A9 with an aspheric head is what I call a "fun" light. not much real world use. but then again.. I DO carry like 3 lights on me for all applications.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I needed that much throw, I would probably use an HID.
If the light can only light up a 10 foot area at 1,000 feet, then it may only have limited usefulness. Chances are that you would need binoculars to see what the light is actually illuminating. If you can't see what it is that the light is lighting up, it is about as useful as a laser pointer.
If someone has room to spare for binoculars, chances are they have room to spare for an HID of some kind. Of course, it would have to be a throw oriented one, since the DEFT apparently outhrows some lower powered HIDs...

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^^ +1, only HID spotlights can give you monstrous amount of throw. More than you will ever actually need.

The stanley HID is a cheap way to go. If you want higher quality and runtime, get the N30 or L50. And if you need a compact and super bright HID light get the microfire warrior III.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
^^^^ +1, only HID spotlights can give you monstrous amount of throw.

ha ha ha... HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! A 10-hub MC-E unit using our system would thoroughly devastate a MaxaBLASTER, even the current 4 hub gets close to the blaster, with a perfect and even straighter cylinder of a beam. With 10, that'd be 100 watts (7200 lumens, 1800 lumens of system loss....) of FAR MORE DURABLE solid state photonic bombardment, calibrated to the PERFECT EXACT color temperature you want by mixing and/or matching emitter tint bins. Why stop at 10??? That new Cree XP-G just came out, I can't wait for an MC-G!!! (4x XP-G dies) ;)

Last edited:

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Anything that can devastate a MaxaBlaster...I've got to see!!

Is Ra helping you build these???:poke: