Cold Steel shovel

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry one of these in each of my vehicles, and one goes with me on every hunting trip. I used to carry other folding shovels but eventually picked one of these up on a whim. The price was less than $20 including the optional sheath. I find prices are generally pretty close still, a bit over $20 with the sheath these days in most places. It is a very decent buy. I found that if you were not very careful to clean the folding GI entrenching tools after using them, they could be real fun to open, especially in colder weather with cold hands. Especially bad was when they got wet and rusty, or had dirt in the hinge and screw mechanism. The Cold Steel does away with that by being a solid unit. It is copied from the Societ Spetnaz shovel and yes, you CAN with a lot of practice, throw and stick it like they did, its kinda fun actually and I have gotten fair with one.

They are about 19.5 inches long and weigh in at around 30 ozs. and has a nice heavyweight handle, that while being thick is not too thick to use comfortably. As soon as I got mine I took a file and sharpened the edges, they are advertised as being sharp but not to my liking.

I have used mine to dig blinds, and catholes (field toilet for those that do not know what that means), clean out around tires, and various other shovel chores. Not as handy as a full sized shovel obviously, but easier than one to carry, especially into the woods. I was going into a hunting area and there was a deadfall across the trail. The tree was about 5 inches in diameter, an aspen. I used the Cold Steel to cut it up and move it out of the way. Not as handy as an ax, but definitly doable, and handy. I used it to cut brush, vines, and small trees for my hunting blind also. I trimmed limbs on the shooting lanes of our archery course in the woods behind the house, and use it on blackberry vines. I even cooked a hamburger patty and a potato on the blade over a campfire. I keep mine behind the seat of my truck, it would be a very handy and effective defensive weapon if needed. It beats the heck out of the latest GI Shovel for use, and is handier than the old head folding entrenching tool that was my old user. I know some people prefer to carry a large knife, kukri, bowie, bolo etc, to a hachete or ax, and I think this would make an extremely intellegent and handy companion to either a big knife, or hachete.

Overall I would have to say that for a small amount of money, you get a whole lot of tool.

Louhikaarme

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I have had this one for twelve years now and it is amazing. Have used as ax, shovel, fryengpan ect..

P9150015.jpg

scout24

Flashaholic
Definitely a solid piece of gear. They throw nicely, as well... :) Taught my son how to throw one of these before a 'hawk. They stand up to a tremendous amount of abuse. I replaced the handle on one of mine with a 3' piece of regular shovel handle and keep it in my truck. "Short" ones in each of the cars.

StuToffee

Newly Enlightened
I bought one of the "proper" Russian Army "Spetsnaz" ones from a site in the UK that sells allsorts of Soviet Bloc kit (furry hats, AK bayonets, Stripey shirts etc) & IIRC it only cost £15.

I sanded/wirebrushed/nitromors'd the nasty black paintjob off, sanded & planed the handle to fit better & gave it a coat of yacht varnish & now its fantastic.
Faster in the hand than a 'hawk & more versatile (and looks more innocent). I have one in my GHB/Bag of Evil & I carry it in the side pocket with abit of the handle sticking out so its carried in the same way a tennis or squash raquet is.
StusSpetsnazShovel.jpg

As you can see, I like 'hawks, too!!!
K5inHand.jpg

Last edited:

redaudi

Newly Enlightened
i like the spetznaz shovel, i'd love one of those.

wonder if i can find one in the states....