Installing pcb in Ti Arc AAA

malamalama

Newly Enlightened
Just received the Ti Arc AAA kit. Could someone please explain to a total beginner how to install the LE's? I tried pushing the smaller LE into the head but don't think it went all the way in. Part of the copper base was still extended below the head section. Then tried installing the bigger LE and it seemed to sit better, and the bottom was equal to the bottom edge of the head section. Put one spacer washer over the battery and tried screwing the two together. The light came on, but the head and body were still far apart. I could still see some of the rubber washer.

Also, another dumb question. Which way is the sticky side of the foam spacer supposed to face? Towards the head or the battery? Thanks.

Last edited:

malamalama

Newly Enlightened
Re: Installing LE in Ti Arc AAA

Which way is the sticky side of the foam spacer supposed to face?

Thanks greenLED. Makes sense. Of course, my first question was going to be which side does the white part of the foam spacer go until I figured the out the white paper was just hiding the sticky side. That would have been an even dumber question!

Thanks sjalbrec. Looking at the diagram, my led is not sitting properly since the base extends beyond the edge. I also have the problem of when I screwed it in, there was a wide gap.

Is anyone else having problems fitting the LE inside or am I just not using enough force? When I had the gap, I though I could screw the head tighter and that would seat the LE, but it was pretty hard to screw after a certain point.

sjalbrec

Newly Enlightened

well malamalama, this is my first arc torch too. :)

i was able to push the 3mm all the way into the head. i then proceeded to tighten it all the way down with no problem. however, the light did not turn on and it looks like i smashed the duracel battery (the button is pushed in) :ohgeez:.

thankfully, i had some spare aaa eneloops and it now works great. i'm not using a foam spacer and i have to twist the head almost all the way down to activate the torch (very carefully). i love the all-flood beam of the 3mm. but now since the 3mm led is seated inside the head, i have no idea how to get it out so i can try the other led? :thinking: (if you read the mcgizmo thread, they describe how to put the lens back in if you take it out and i really, really, don't want to have to that! :poke:).

:help:

looks like our questions for the more experienced members are:

1. how much force should you use to push the led into the head? :banghead:

2. how do you pull out the led without destroying it and without removing the lens? :shrug:

thank you!

steven

...it makes no difference,
night or day,
the shadows never go away...

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can use some force to push the pcb of the LE into the titanium head. However, whatever force you use to install it, you are likely going to need even more force to remove it.

Each head/LE fit is different. Some are more snug than others. If you have a combination that is a bit too snug. You can reduce the outside diameter of the pcb carefully using a file. Sometimes it is just one side of the pcb circle that needs to be reduced.

With any kind of handling of the PCB, care is advised. Although you can file it and push it, poking at it with sharp instruments could knock off components. For example, from the back of the pcb, there are 2 large holes (epoxy fill holes). When removing the pcb from the head, sometimes there is the temptation to poke a sharp tool into those holes and pry up the pcb. In at least one case, the black diode was popped off the pcb by doing that. Until the diode was resoldered, the LE would not light.

So the bottom line is, everything is going to be a lot easier if the LE drops into the head with minimal force. That is why I recommend taking your time in fitting them and using a file if necessary.

We size the board for most heads before we ship them. Therefore, and for most people, it should drop in fine with just a minimum of force and they can be popped out with small screwdriver and not alot of drama.

If you must use one of the fill holes to catch an especially stuck pcb, then use the fill hole directly opposite the 2 LED leads. That fill hole is next to the inductor, which is a bit more resistant to poking than the diode. But that being said, spending a little extra time to get a smooth fit is going to save you time (and possibly shipping) in the future.

Let me know if this helps!

peter

sjalbrec

Newly Enlightened

thanks so much peter. great information. (only one day late for me :)) now that i know i used too much force to seat the pcb, i feel like the proverbial bull in the china shop.

so glad you mentioned the dangers of the epoxy fill holes! my very first thought was to use these to extract the led. i was thinking i could bend over the ends of a paper clip (maybe only two or three mm at a 90 degree angle) and use that to hook the pcb. is there any space inside or should i avoid that method altogether?

btw, it is very interesting to learn your perspective and it is obvious you are accustomed to working with very small electronics, etc. you describe the epoxy fill holes as "large" while i would describe them as teeny-tiny. like they say, everything is relative! :D

Last edited:

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

To answer your question; there is some space to hook the pcb but anything too fancy shouldn't be necessary if the board inserts smoothly. I have had good luck using either curved tweezers or a sharp dental pick. If you have the foam retainer installed, sometimes all you have to do is get ahold of that and the PCB follows.

btw, the foam retainer is optional. It has both advantages (namely reducing battery rattle and flicker) and disadvantages (hard to turn, could migrate over the contact and cause the light to temporarily not work).

peter

malamalama

Newly Enlightened

Thanks Peter and sjalbrec. Nice to know about the epoxy holes. I had to use a dental pick to pull the pcb out and just assumed that's what the holes were for.

I'll try filing down the pcb to see if that works.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I talked to Maria (she processes warranty returns) and she says that we are getting a higher incidence of damaged PCBs this time around. Mostly because the boards are more snug and people are therefore using more force.

The reason the boards are more snug is that we received complaints (but no returns) on the first batch that the boards were too loose. Boards were falling out when the battery was changed, etc. For the second batch we then made them a little bit more snug. Now we are not only receiving complaints in the opposite direction but returns. Therefore, we are going back to a loose fit.

peter

ibcj

Enlightened
I talked to Maria (she processes warranty returns) and she says that we are getting a higher incidence of damaged PCBs this time around. Mostly because the boards are more snug and people are therefore using more force.

The reason the boards are more snug is that we received complaints (but no returns) on the first batch that the boards were too loose. Boards were falling out when the battery was changed, etc. For the second batch we then made them a little bit more snug. Now we are not only receiving complaints in the opposite direction but returns. Therefore, we are going back to a loose fit.

peter

Please don't let this discourage you selling the units this way. I really appreciate the fact that the head isn't potted.

spyrish

Newly Enlightened
I second that!! This is a great product and give the user two choices of light for different needs.

Last edited:

Whistler

Enlightened
Dear Peter,

Thx alot for the new great Ti-arc AAA. Finally. I got mine now from the second run and I like it very much. Since I collect them (and use them!!!) since the very first moment this is is a great new member in the " Arc-family".

Here an other idea to solve for some the problem. Sell extra heads for the set! I would buy one for sure to prepare them and interchange them.

(To be honest, I installed one of the two and I can't get it out any more/ I' am afraid to damage it).

mridude

Newly Enlightened

You can use some force to push the pcb of the LE into the titanium head. However, whatever force you use to install it, you are likely going to need even more force to remove it.

So the bottom line is, everything is going to be a lot easier if the LE drops into the head with minimal force. That is why I recommend taking your time in fitting them and using a file if necessary.

We size the board for most heads before we ship them. Therefore, and for most people, it should drop in fine with just a minimum of force and they can be popped out with small screwdriver and not alot of drama.

Let me know if this helps!

peter

I just got mine, with the two LED swappables.

I had similar issues with the head not closing completely when twisted on....socked waaaay down w/out the O-Ring. Peter...is it still OKay at 100 Ft. of water like that? (If that flashlight is in my hand and I'm under 100 feet of water....a leaky Arc light is the least of my problems...)

I actually thought that it came with two swappable heads....not one Ti cap and two LEDS with 4 foam O-rings ... and a bill of sale for $176.05.w/shipping

No instructions.

1 Titanium Arc-AAA KIT AWK-Ti

No bill of lading (bill of lading
noun
a detailed list of a shipment of goods in the form of a receipt given by the carrier to the person consigning the goods.) Not trying to be an a**, just being clear what a bill of lading is, might be nice to know about that file about now after it just socked itself in there like it never wants to leave. And it won't... point of my posting.

This is by no means my first purchase of Arc lights.... many an AAA-P has been given as a gift. Love'em. Couple of AA's too. A really nice rugged light. Wow! A Ti AA ... anyway...

I like this one too! I frankly was a bit flummoxed by which LE I should put in....never crossed my mind to have that file handy to do a little Mac Giver work for easy removal later...

To hell with that! How much for another Ti cap w/the saffire lens?????????

It would store a whole hell of a lot better in a cap.

Peter what will another cap cost me?

A tangent question: Teflon plumbers pipe tape. Very thin white tape, seals too. I once worked for a Steam Fitter. It was great for threading freshly cut pipe. Would a small amount on the threads of the Ti AAA be a good idea?

Last edited:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
You can use your credit/debit card through PayPal - you don't need a PP account to send money, only to receive it.

mridude

Newly Enlightened
Another hoop to jump through....I click on the link and my Mac keeps trying to launch Entourage, which I will never subscribe to.

Why not just offer it on the Arc accessories page?

http://www.arcflashlight.com/accessories.shtml

I would seriously doubt, unless somebody else choked on the $70 price tag for a Ti cap with a sapphire lens, that I'd be the only one who thought of this.

Ya got me....what else am I going to do with this other LE? It's bound to get lost or damaged like this. It's mate is forever embedded in the cap I have now.

Sorry flashaholics, I find this a bit irksome.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Entourage is launching because the link above is an email address. If you go to www.paypal.com, select "send money", that email address is required. Let me know if it doesn't work for you.

peter

mridude

Newly Enlightened
(Off the Arc Flashlight website, acessories) :

Arc-AAA empty head -- $15.00 [Add to Cart]
This is an empty Arc-AAA head. It does not include the LED or electronics! It is sold for mod projects. It includes the machined aluminum part, the HA anodize finish and the machined reflector.

Would this head fit/screw into the Ti AAA body? If so, will the LE drop into it?