Connoisseur's Diary

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I enjoy certain special products (generally food) from time to time, that are not quite normal. I'm betting there are others among us with similar tastes and discoveries. So, what do you enjoy that is slightly out of the norm, harder to find (but still generally available) and may (but does not necessarily) cost more.

Here are two to start off, both from a US perspective:

Mexican Coca-Cola
Coke changed from sugar to corn syrup for most/all their US sold soda some time ago (plug: see the movie King Corn). For some reason, Coke made in Mexico is still made the old way and its now being imported. Restaurant price: $3/bottle. Costco price: $0.85/bottle.

Canadian Heinz
For some reason (must be the tomatoes), Heinz made in Canada is way better than Heinz made in the US, milder, sweeter, I'm not certain - but its good. Its available in markets, but only as certain varieties. Look for the smaller plastic bottles that are not shiny, generally Low Salt, Organic, etc. Shiny/glossy bottle = US, dull/smooth bottle = Canada. Check the label on the back to be sure.

What do you enjoy?

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jones brand soft drinks are also made with cane sugar and I like them. The bottles are too expensive but they have some big cans that are not out of line where I buy them.

I recall a segment on some show a few years ago about an old Dr Pepper bottling plant somewhere in the States that still used cane sugar. They only bottle it in the old returnable DP bottles. Their customers must return the bottles to buy more. I like DP and I'd love to try some made with the old ingredients.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Broguierie's chocolate milk. It comes in a glass bottle is probably runs about $5 for a quart. I'm not sure if it's available out of state, but they do sell it around Los Angeles, and the dairy it comes from is in Montebello. It's made with real cream and is, well, super creamy. I first started buying it at a deli in Covina, but have also bought it in Albertson's, there, and in Whole Foods, here in Glendale. Without a doubt, it is the best chocolate milk I've ever had.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chocolate. One example is bubbly chocolate bars. Nestle ruined the Aero bar after they bought up the Rowntree line (Kit Kat, Smarties, Aero) in Canada. It is now grainier and cheaper tasting. I still like the mint Aero but the rest are poor.

For a year or three you could buy Cadbury Dairy Milk Bubbly bars here in Canada. They were made in Ireland and had a European taste and were much smoother than the Nestle Aero. They were as good (though different) as the Rowntree Aero bars.

At Christmas time I discovered Sears was selling a Swiss-made bubbly chocolate bar (100 grams) under their store brand. They were excellent, especially at a price of $1.49 until my (extended) family cleaned them out here in town. So I was suffering withdrawal for a few months.

The other day I discovered that Zellers / The Bay is selling the same bars (in 40 gram size) under their store label. So I'm a happy camper again.

Greg

Last edited:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to absolutely love Vienetta, haven't been able to find it for several years.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good thread idea.

... until my (extended) family cleaned them out here in town.

LOL. I'm trying to picture that. That's funny. Really funny. :)

Lake Champlain chocolates. Well, others too but we had a whole chocolate thread a while back so I'll stop there.

I tried a bottle of Heinz organic ketchup a while back. It was too stale. It might have been good if it was more fresh. I like the Heinz best of the regular U.S. ketchups but it is too much sugar & vinegar. I think it didn't used to be quite so strong that way. Now you've got me intrigued to drive 8 hrs & try the version from our northern friends.

I used to suggest the BJ's house brand maple syrup "Berkeley & Jenkins", but ever since it was raved about in the Cook's Magazine then all of a sudden it changed. Still says Grade A dark but it's very obviously Grade B. Very obvious to me anyway, but I've been pouring real syrup on my breakfast nearly every day of my life. I've been meaning to write to BJ's to let them know it has been noticed.

Elsa Balsamic vinegar. The 12-yr one in the V-shaped bottle. It's expensive but nowhere near the sky-high $75 per 4 oz of the official Modena judged red-topped stuff and not a huge difference in flavor. Both of course very noticeable difference from other regular "balsamic vinegar".

In New England, it's bread from Iggy's bakery. Crunchy, chewey crust. Flavorful centers. Great stuff. Caused my parents to stop baking their own bread after 30+ years. I still like kneading my own, but just for the fun of it and only occasionally.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Broguierie's chocolate milk. It comes in a glass bottle is probably runs about $5 for a quart.

Reminds me of eggnog from Broguiere's Dairy (Montebello, CA). They make it 6 weeks a year and few stores even carry it.

I used to suggest the BJ's house brand maple syrup "Berkeley & Jenkins", but ever since it was raved about in the Cook's Magazine then all of a sudden it changed. Still says Grade A dark but it's very obviously Grade B. Very obvious to me anyway, but I've been pouring real syrup on my breakfast nearly every day of my life. I've been meaning to write to BJ's to let them know it has been noticed.

Elsa Balsamic vinegar. The 12-yr one in the V-shaped bottle. It's expensive but nowhere near the sky-high $75 per 4 oz of the official Modena judged red-topped stuff and not a huge difference in flavor. Both of course very noticeable difference from other regular "balsamic vinegar".

Smart & Final (also in CA) carries balsamic reduction thats quite tasty and its geared for restaurants so its under $10/bottle.

Parents of New Englanders, I grew up with maple syrup, but it was always imported, so being 'real' was a big enough deal.

Just thought of another: Trader Joe's Kansas City BBQ Sauce

Dave Keith

Newly Enlightened
The Dr. Pepper plant that still uses the Imperial Pure Cane sugar is located in Dublin, Texas and is only fifteen miles from where I live. They have broadened their delivery area a little bit, but still pretty much a local distribution.

The bottling equipment is old and the output is limited, but folks still come from "all around" to get their pure cane sugar Dr. Pepper fix.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Mexican Coca-Cola
Coke changed from sugar to corn syrup for most/all their US sold soda some time ago (plug: see the movie King Corn). For some reason, Coke made in Mexico is still made the old way and its now being imported. Restaurant price: $3/bottle. Costco price: $0.85/bottle.

Canadian Heinz
For some reason (must be the tomatoes), Heinz made in Canada is way better than Heinz made in the US
(Coca cola snob, reporting in!)

EG, pretty much the entire Latin America still uses the (real) "classic" Coke recipe, with *real* sugar. YUMMMYY!! My wife's brother works for the CC company, so we get the good stuff at a discount... :nana: (sorry, had to rub it in)

The sweetener used is probably why the Canadian Heinz tastes different?

Moi?
I enjoy a piece of good chocolate now and then. Unfortunately not much these days, since it seems to give me migraines... :rant: Dark, semi-bitter (semi-sweet, depending on who you talk to). I'm very picky when it comes to the type of chocolate I eat.

Güitig,
a type of *naturally* carbonated mineral water produced only by a small-ish bottling company in Ecuador. Yup, the stuff comes out carbonated straight out of the mountain srping where they bottle it! I LOVE that stuff, but I can only get it once in a year at the most. We treat it like the finest wine at home. I'll only drink it with my bro, in very special ocassions.

Oh, and "Inca Cola", an originally Peruvian carbonated drink made out of a medicinal herb ("hierba luisa", in Spanish; my grandma used to give it to us for tummy aches). Anyhow... good stuff too. You can get it in the States now.

Last edited:

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been seeing commercials for Pepsi throwback. It's Pepsi made with "natural sugar". It's supposed to be available for a limited time. I wonder if it really tastes different from the current Pepsi.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
As much as I enjoy a good mocha latte, I really don't like to pay for it; over the last few weeks I've devised a way to make mocha lattes at home, with no specialized equipment or techniques, for about $0.30 per 12oz serving. It's only as complicated as making cocoa, and takes roughly five minutes. The taste is dead on identical to a Starbucks mocha latte even in a side-by-side comparison, and of course since I'm making it, I can adjust/suit it to taste (I like mine darker and sweeter).

I've also figured out how to make the Starbucks bottled Frappucinos, again using only common kitchen ingredients. That one's a lot of fun since the standard Frappucino is pretty weak, you can get it much stronger making it yourself.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
The sweetener used is probably why the Canadian Heinz tastes different?

I first discovered this on a road trip into Canada, while ordering drive through french fries. As we continued north, every place was just as good. Once back south, Heinz has a reliable supply. I'm more inclined to think this is ingredients than recipe, but I'm not sure. Here's the label for the Organic dull-bottle variety:
Tomato concentrate made from red ripe tomatoes, distilled vinegar, sugar, salt, onion powder, spice, natural flavoring PRODUCT OF CANADA​

Any Canadians experience the opposite while traveling south?

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
As much as I enjoy a good mocha latte, I really don't like to pay for it; over the last few weeks I've devised a way to make mocha lattes at home, with no specialized equipment or techniques, for about $0.30 per 12oz serving. It's only as complicated as making cocoa, and takes roughly five minutes. The taste is dead on identical to a Starbucks mocha latte even in a side-by-side comparison, and of course since I'm making it, I can adjust/suit it to taste (I like mine darker and sweeter).

I've also figured out how to make the Starbucks bottled Frappucinos, again using only common kitchen ingredients. That one's a lot of fun since the standard Frappucino is pretty weak, you can get it much stronger making it yourself.
woah woah woah..stop here a moment.

mind sharing your secrets?

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reminds me of eggnog from Broguiere's Dairy (Montebello, CA). They make it 6 weeks a year and few stores even carry it.

Huel Howser did a show on the eggnog they make at the Broguiere's Dairy. They showed how it was actually made by hand. There was a guy that was whipping the stuff in a 5 or 10 gallon container, and he wasn't using any machine or anything, just a long metal utensil and his arm!

tygger

Enlightened
Huel Howser did a show on the eggnog they make at the Broguiere's Dairy. They showed how it was actually made by hand. There was a guy that was whipping the stuff in a 5 or 10 gallon container, and he wasn't using any machine or anything, just a long metal utensil and his arm!

Ha! Saw that episode and went out the next day for some Broguieres. Good stuff. Thier eggnogg is :thumbsup:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not much of an eggnogg guy, myself. I've tried theirs, and others, and it's always just WAY to sweet for me. Their chocolate milk is awesome, though. People may think that chocolate milk is chocolate milk, but when you try theirs, you instantly notice a huge difference in quality and taste.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
woah woah woah..stop here a moment.

mind sharing your secrets?

Print away -

StarHalo's Cheap Mocha Latte

9oz milk
3oz water
1 tsp Medaglia D'Oro instant espresso
~1/4 cup chocolate syrup (suit to taste)
~1/2 tsp sugar (suit to taste)

Microwave water on high for 40 seconds in large mug, then add espresso powder and chocolate syrup. Bring milk to a boil in a quart pan, add to mug with sugar. Stir and serve. Makes one 12 oz serving.

The instant espresso is sold in many grocery/specialty/online stores for $3-4 for a small jar that will provide >12 servings. You can see an image of the jar at the bottom of this page: http://www.medagliadoro.com/products.htm

StarHalo's Homemade Bottled Frappuccino

1/5 cup brewed coffee
1 cup milk
1 tsp sugar
2 tblsp chocolate syrup

Brew coffee then chill in freezer 30-40 minutes. Mix all ingredients in a large glass. Makes one 10 oz serving.

The formula above (one part coffee to five parts milk) is closest to the original bottled mocha frappuccino product, being very mild and focusing mostly on the milk flavor. You can get the coffee and/or chocolate flavor much bolder to suit your taste - I prefer a nearly 1:1 mix with more chocolate and no sugar, which is quite strong.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Sweet, er sweet, Mrs Guru will be all over this. Come to think of it, this will be the first official CPF post that she is interested in. :clap:

Got another one: Squeakers
A byproduct of cheese making, these curds (of curds and way fame) don't make it into the normal cheese packaging. They have a fun springyness that makes a squeaking sound against your teeth while chewing. Thing is, they don't have any shelf life, so you generally can only get them direct from the dairy. Tillamook (west of Portland OR) has a good supply but word has spread so it sells out fast.

TIP: You can recharge the squeak properties by hitting the curds with a few seconds in the microwave

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm....Never heard of the squeakers, before. I wonder if those are similar to the cheddar cheese curds they sell at Trader Joe's? I've always been tempted to buy them, but never have. I may be forced to by them, now, as I am even more curious, now.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Print away -

StarHalo's Cheap Mocha Latte

9oz milk
3oz water
1 tsp Medaglia D'Oro instant espresso
~1/4 cup chocolate syrup (suit to taste)
~1/2 tsp sugar (suit to taste)

Microwave water on high for 40 seconds in large mug, then add espresso powder and chocolate syrup. Bring milk to a boil in a quart pan, add to mug with sugar. Stir and serve. Makes one 12 oz serving.

The instant espresso is sold in many grocery/specialty/online stores for $3-4 for a small jar that will provide >12 servings. You can see an image of the jar at the bottom of this page: http://www.medagliadoro.com/products.htm

StarHalo's Homemade Bottled Frappuccino

1/5 cup brewed coffee
1 cup milk
1 tsp sugar
2 tblsp chocolate syrup

Brew coffee then chill in freezer 30-40 minutes. Mix all ingredients in a large glass. Makes one 10 oz serving.

The formula above (one part coffee to five parts milk) is closest to the original bottled mocha frappuccino product, being very mild and focusing mostly on the milk flavor. You can get the coffee and/or chocolate flavor much bolder to suit your taste - I prefer a nearly 1:1 mix with more chocolate and no sugar, which is quite strong.

oh sweet! hmm.. I better save this somewhere.. I'm probably going to be using these recipes ALLOT when I get to college :faint: