Click to visit Lumintop new flashlights!
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanley H.I.D. and 1365 lumen spotlights (Part 2)

Default Re: Stanley H.I.D. and 1365 lumen spotlights (Part 2)

I have had no battery issues at all with mine...

I was under the impression that the 12V adapter could be used without the battery, so that may mean that it does not go through the battery to the ballast. You should probably be able to replace the battery. However, It doesn't really make sense that you got 2 lights in a row with bad batteries, while no one else here has had issues. Are you sure it is not another problem? Perhaps you just have very bad luck...
    Eagletac T10L, 3D maglite with Malkoff 3-6D XP-G Dropin, Stanley 35 watt HID, Gerber LX 3.0, L-mini II Q3-5C, 2D ROP w/ LiMnNi 26650, Eagletac P100A2, Quark Mini AA XP-G S2

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    I have had no battery issues at all with mine...

I was under the impression that the 12V adapter could be used without the battery, so that may mean that it does not go through the battery to the ballast. You should probably be able to replace the battery. However, It doesn't really make sense that you got 2 lights in a row with bad batteries, while no one else here has had issues. Are you sure it is not another problem? Perhaps you just have very bad luck...
    If you are refering to me, only the first one had a bad battery. The second one is fine. As for battery bypass, there is none, as the jack on the bottom of the pistol grip is connected directly to the battery. Hook up a VOM to the jack, and you will read the battery voltage there. If you read the manual, you will note that they say that the charge light "Does Not" come on when using the 12V cord. That is because the 12V jack doesn't use the charge circuit, but is connected directly to the battery. At the least, it should have an isolation diode, as plugging a charged Stanley into a battery with a lower voltage, will suck the charge out if the Stanley's internal battery. For now, I am going to leave it be, but there are improvements that can be made.

We will see how the OEM SLA batteries hold up. I hope they are OK. A quality SLA should last for 3+ years as long as it is kept charged. Time will tell.
    Last edited by ColoradoStoneman; 07-09-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Someone physically took out their battery, insulated the connectors and and ran the light only by the cord. An easy way to drop 2 or 3 pounds if you're always around a 12 V source.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    Someone physically took out their battery, insulated the connectors and and ran the light only by the cord. An easy way to drop 2 or 3 pounds if you're always around a 12 V source.
    Mine will be used in the boat, and I plan on building a 12 NiMH pack using AAs for it. It will be plugged in most of the time, so even 20 minutes of battery run time will be fine. Getting rid of 2 lbs would make this a very nice light.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoStoneman View Post
    Mine will be used in the boat, and I plan on building a 12 NiMH pack using AAs for it. It will be plugged in most of the time, so even 20 minutes of battery run time will be fine. Getting rid of 2 lbs would make this a very nice light.

Maybe it's a case of already haveing the 12 NiMN cells that you need but there are lighter, more compact alternatives with higher energy density. You could use 4 x A123 safe cells for example. You'd drop more than than just two lbs while increasing run-time up from the SLA.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    Maybe it's a case of already haveing the 12 NiMN cells that you need but there are lighter, more compact alternatives with higher energy density. You could use 4 x A123 safe cells for example. You'd drop more than than just two lbs while increasing run-time up from the SLA.
    That is a great idea. My wife picked up the Stanley, and didn't like the weight at all.

As a matter of fact, she described it using words that aren't proper for a public forum.

Flashaholic* Alaric Darconville's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoStoneman View Post
    ...the jack on the bottom of the pistol grip is connected directly to the battery. Hook up a VOM to the jack, and you will read the battery voltage there. If you read the manual, you will note that they say that the charge light "Does Not" come on when using the 12V cord. That is because the 12V jack doesn't use the charge circuit, but is connected directly to the battery. At the least, it should have an isolation diode, as plugging a charged Stanley into a battery with a lower voltage, will suck the charge out if the Stanley's internal battery. For now, I am going to leave it be, but there are improvements that can be made.
    Interesting... I wonder if it could supply enough current to boost a not-quite-dead car battery and make the difference between a slow crank and actually starting the car.

One could also wire up a 12V socket to plug in to the spotlight and run a cellphone charger or a very small inverter (say, 50W) for a short time. Just one additional feature from an already nicely-appointed spotlight.

Car starters draw in the neighborhood of 150 to 250 Amps. The little 3 Amp battery will not even be noticed.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

How does the charging system work. Does it trickle charge after topping off?
    I'm guessing it does but hoping it doesn't.
    siamo il rumore

Some of us obtained different results. Most of my testing showed it shut off.

Thanks BVH, does it cut off at a particular voltage. I'm thinking a few IMR C cells might not be a bad option to cut weight.
    siamo il rumore

That's going back a ways for my memory but I think it may have been 14.4x. Have you looked back at my postings on the part one of the thread? I think there may have been some postings from myself and another on our observations and I may have mentioned more specifics.

also, I think I posted battery compartment measurements. It seems to me that fitting enough C's in there might be difficult.
    Last edited by BVH; 07-19-2009 at 09:37 PM.

Ryan, you wouldn't want to use the stock charger with li-ion or IMR set-up regardless. Max voltage for 4 cells would peak at 16.8V which couldn't be accomplished by the stock charger. If you do choose to mod it, you'd want to use a specific charger.

So NiMH or NiCAD might be more practical? It's going to be a dog walking light for my brother. He lives in the woods with his girlfriend, a sheltie, a pack of chihuahuas, and four million fishercats. I'm thinking about lightening it up a bit so it gets used more often.
    siamo il rumore

Quote Originally Posted by RyanA View Post
    So NiMH or NiCAD might be more practical?

Um...no. I was sort of backwardly suggesting that you'd want to use a different charger. 4 x 26650s would make probably make a nice, safe power supply with reasonable run-time. I'm just not sure what the ballast's max input voltage is. I don't think 3 cells would expend all their energy before the ballast's low voltage circuit turned the light off.

I don't think anyone was brave enough to find the upper limit of input voltage from what I remember.

thanks to the help of a kind CPFer I got mine also! Plenty bright!

Runtime on high: 22:16 minutes
    Runtime on low: 26:33 minutes

Is this normal?

Charging time with dc charger: about 4 1/2 hours

Whats the runtime on your sampels (is mine an underperformer, battery wise that is?)

Might "progolding/deoxiting" the charger and charging socket or any of the internal connections/components help to squeeze out a few minutes more runtime?
    Last edited by m1ruf; 07-21-2009 at 03:07 PM. Reason: -

I think I was getting about 29 - 30 on high and about 33 -35 on low.

Quote Originally Posted by m1ruf View Post

Runtime on high: 22:16 minutes
    Runtime on low: 26:33 minutes

Is this normal?

Might "progolding/deoxiting" the charger and charging socket or any of the internal connections/components help to squeeze out a few minutes more runtime?

After your charger shuts off and the light is indicating a full charge, plug it back in after a while and see if the second charge helps. Also, if that battery has been sitting for a while sometimes a few cycles improve performance a little. Cleaning the charger connector certainly won't hurt anything but it's also unlikely to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    After your charger shuts off and the light is indicating a full charge, plug it back in after a while and see if the second charge helps.
    I been doing this with my POB since I first received it.After the indicator reads full I run the light for a couple of minutes and then plug it back in.It makes a noticeable difference in runtime.Can anyone explain why?
    My girlfriend said if I bought one more light she would leave me...........I'm sure gonna miss her.

Some charging circuits have low and high voltage protection circuits AND they sometimes have timer circuits that are set to shut off all charging after a pre-determined amount of charging time regardless of the state of charge. Kind of a safety feature.

Some early N30's have the same issue.

....and even a voltage circuit only works well if a charge is being fed for sufficient duration. This is especially true for smaller batteries that get to the cut off voltage rapidly. Let's say the charger cut off voltage was 13.5V. If the charger doesn't hold that final charge above 12V long enough the battery quickly sags once the charge is removed. By holding the charge at 13.499V for a while the battery sags very little once the charge is stopped. Holding voltage at or just under cut-off can only be done with a sophisticated charger which usually isn't the case with inexpensive SLA lights & wall warts. So, even in the case of voltage circuits cut-offs a second plug-in, after the battery rests a bit, usually helps. The larger the battery and the slower the charge, the less the 2nd plug in helps (in the case of voltage cut-offs).

Timed chargers on the other hand can really send the voltage quite high. It's not uncommon to see a 12V SLA approach 15V. Usually, this over-voltage is what helps SLA's achieve decent run-time, especially in the case of HID where the draw is much less than incan. The negative is that it reduces battery life some.

thanks for the suggestions, i'll try charching a second time after the first time is finished, and report back here...

Flashaholic

Stanley doesn't like baths. He doesn't even like to get his feet wet. I was walking down a secluded stretch of pitch black beach when my Stanley was lightly splashed by a breaking wave. I quickly wiped it with my shirt and all was still good. The second time, I wiped it dry then pulled the trigger to make sure all was still good. It lit up, . But when I released the trigger, it was still on. It wouldn't turn off. It eventually shut off 2 minutes later, . I brought it home, and opened it, and it appears as thought the battery had shorted, not sure on the ballast yet. I guess it will now live on my project bench for now.
    Someone turn on the dark, it's bright in here.

Quote Originally Posted by rala View Post
    Stanley doesn't like baths. He doesn't even like to get his feet wet. I was walking down a secluded stretch of pitch black beach when my Stanley was lightly splashed by a breaking wave. I quickly wiped it with my shirt and all was still good. The second time, I wiped it dry then pulled the trigger to make sure all was still good. It lit up, . But when I released the trigger, it was still on. It wouldn't turn off. It eventually shut off 2 minutes later, . I brought it home, and opened it, and it appears as thought the battery had shorted, not sure on the ballast yet. I guess it will now live on my project bench for now.
    Sorry to hear that. The problem shouldnt be at the ballast since they are sightly water resistant, the internal components are glue covered. It might be the switching mechanism...

I've used mine under the rain for few minutes and it is still working nice. I get short runtimes tough... somewhere 20-25 mins. But I keep like 4 flashlights in my car so nothing to worry about.

I tried charging the Stanley for a second time. After it had already fully charged. The charging indicator LED showed green immediately. Left it on the charer for another hour.
    Tested the runtime o high, still just 22 minutes.

Charged it fully up again, let it run for 4 minutes. Charged it untill the indicator LED showed green, tested it, same result.

Also progolding the charging contacts didn't help.

I guess I have to live with mine having a slightly shorter runtime.

Maybe someone who already opened his or her Stanley can look whats the exact part/model number of the SLA battery thats used in it, so I could get a quality replacement battery!

Here's a positive way at looking at your short run time....your ballast is probably putting out more power to the bulb so you light is probably brighter than most.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    Here's a positive way at looking at your short run time....your ballast is probably putting out more power to the bulb so you light is probably brighter than most.
    That's a good way to look at it!

One more thing to check, is remember that these are meant for vehicle charging where the input is 13.8 on average. What are you using as your input DC voltage?

IIRC, I used my variable power supply to see if the ballast was regulated. I think I remember it was so input voltage wouldn't have any significant effects.

"Originally Posted by BVH Here's a positive way at looking at your short run time....your ballast is probably putting out more power to the bulb so you light is probably brighter than most."

If thats really the case then I can live with a few minutes shorter runtime

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast