Innovative and high-quality Rofis flashlight
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanley H.I.D. and 1365 lumen spotlights (Part 2)

Default Re: Stanley H.I.D. and 1365 lumen spotlights (Part 2)

Ha well I have seen thise types before worse comes to worst than I will make my own connections and get a new common 12V spotlight battery. I have seen the type elsewhere you speak of. Yea trying number 4 today at walmart haha. I was thinking a walmart in a nicer area where people would buy the light a lot and they would restock more often. Hmm

They claim a 35 min runtime on full power has anyone achieved this?

Flashaholic

I think they fib a lot. Very few flash/spot lights run as long as the hype claims. I got 32.5mins on mine this afternoon....then I realized I had it set on the low level. That means I would likely get about 25mins or so on high. I will verify later.

This doesn't bother me too much. If you use this light to walk your dog at night, in a residential neighborhood, the police would probably question you before the battery gave out.

I also did another battery search. Found nothing anywhere. This is a specialized battery which was, possibly made specifically, on special order by the light factory. You may be right about buying the Stanley SLM09 just to extract the battery (which may or not be any better) and us it in the 0109. I think that would be a little goofy, though.

The light is-what-it-is. Without stuffing it full of li-ion's ($$$) and figuring out how to charge them effectively I don't think you can do much better.

Yea but I cannot even achieve 25 min! Got my 4th one a while ago will test later tonight. I have had 1,15,18 min so far. At least they are going up . I know we can use standard lead acid 2.8 ah batteries available anywhere. Just cut and splice I'm sure they are very close to same size. Someone needs to design converter charger for nmih or lithium . Or just charge manually no big deal. Nah I just want the freakin 25 everyone gets. Where did you get yours sunfire? Walmart is appearing to be a dead end.

Oh sorry been using blackberry hard to look in history you got at amazon. Do they still manufacture these lights? Every walmart I have been to seems to have the old ones from march all covered in dust lol.

Unenlightened

Sigh Re: Stanley H.I.D. and 1365 lumen spotlights (Part 2)

I'm having a problem with a modification. I am putting all the goodies from the Stanley into an old aluminum scuba housing called an Allen Buglight.

No big deal with one exception; Due to the internal size of the buglight I need to use a smaller battery than the 3 amp that comes with the Stanley. I have a 1.3 amp that fits perfectly, but the Stanley flickers about 10 times and then goes dead when hooked to that battery.
    I have tried tricking the system by hooking the external 12 volt power to the battery leads AND the external power [car battery under my workbench], and it flickers about 10 times and goes dead. So it must measure amperage and won't work if too high, or too low.
    There is a small board inline between the external 12v positive and the internal battery positive. It says ;20U6OCT 0816 34 on it. There is a diagram sort of like this; ->|-.-|<- and the circuit board it is connected to has three leads on it. The solder tells me external power goes to lead one and three and the middle lead goes to the internal battery AND the power board for the lamp. If it weren't for that circuit board in the power line, the internal battery is just pigtailed into the external 12 volts. The light will not work without the battery.
    I use an outside power source for all of my dive lights and scooters, so the battery life is unimportant, but 5 minutes or so would be great.

I haven't messed with the external ac supply. I understood from previous posts that the light would work on strictly external 12 volts but NOT work when plugged into ac.

Help a guy out here. I have minimal talents, but I will cut up things, I have test meters, a mill.... I just want a dive light at 35 watts....

Haha wow these things are incredibly inconsitant and unreliable. So found a walmart where guy said they were in only for 2 weeks. One of them turns green immediately and won't run at all. The other has pretty terrible beam quality. One I do have that I haven't tested yet (charging now) has great tight spot in center, amazing. But don't know battery don't have much faith. One with terrible beam that is new from today will test both of these and see if they work, haha crazy.

Hmm very interesting ducks. Yea these lights are so crazy spuratic I wouldn't even rely on it working properly. If that is the case I would love to see the schematics of this thing if anyone can scrounge them up, or detailed circuit operation. Nonetheless, I will find a good battery if I have to buy and return all of walmarts spotlights in the city of Houston, haha

Unenlightened

I have this thing all spread out on the workbench. If anyone need a picture or a measurement or anything like that, let me know and I'll get you some pictures/measurements.

About the factory battery questions from earlier;
    mine weighs 1lb, 15.9 oz. it is 104 mm [4.09 in]{99.5mm [3.91in] at the base. It has a 'head' on the battery where the posts are}x48mm [1.88in]x70.09mm [2.78in].
    A SLIGHTLY larger battery will fit in the housing, tell me if you want measurements.

so....4.09 [or 3.91]x1.88x2.78 inches.

It is date branded on the top 081226. I assume this is dec 26 2008. I bought it about 2 months ago. I had to; the POB is just too damn big to fit in anysort of housing that wouldn't need a winch to get it in the water....

Has anyone used one of those Checker auto offroad lights? I think the 7 inch is $119 and the 4 inch is $99. Seems pretty compact....

Flashaholic

Thanks for the battery measurements, ducksface!

I think we need to be a little more fair minded about this light.

We can't blame the light just because we have a hard time finding one that meets all its claims or your guidelines and we can't blame the light if we gut it for a personal project.

There are a lot of seasoned CPF'rs and myself that think this is a great light for the money. Very doggone few lights (costing less than 2 grand) satisfy everyone in every way.

If we decide to go for a "better" HID entry-level light we will have to add a hundred dollars to this price.

I will concede that the light, with a good li-ion pack, would be worth the extra cost if it were available. We might also want to add a "clicky" trigger switch so we wouldn't have to hold it in or lock it to keep the light on.

I'll check the run-time on high tomorrow.

Good luck
    Last edited by SunFire900; 08-27-2009 at 08:40 PM.

I know it can't satisfy everyone but it should at least have a decent battery...runnin two side by side now the one in the '2 week inventory' and the other one I got elsewhere, the 2 week inventory one has a slightly less blue temperature, which is interesting. I like it better. The other though has a better focused spot. Hmm. Depends on what is what I might have to mix and match what I like then return the other .

So the one with the tight spot ran 18 minutes and it has the bluer beam. The crappier focased one ran about 20 minutes and had a slighter whiter beam.

This has become an obsession!!!

I found this one:

http://www.apexbattery.com/sel-batte...batteries.html

But its soo rediculously expensive!!

This isn't the right one? Right style anyway and I know I have seen these batteries with the spade connections like this elsewhere can't remember where though

Ok after some obsessive research, cross referencing optronics batteries, I knew I had seen it duh. They use these similar batteries, same size exact (except 2.8AH) on their regular spotlights. You can buy these spotlights at basspro for like 25 bucks. Not sure how good the batteries are. But you can also get them new online for cheaper than 75 I think like 30-40.

Optronics A5312 or A5512. They seem to be the same thing or different model but same type of battery.

http://www.optronicsinc.com/spotlights.htm

Bottom right.

http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/OPT/OPTA5512.html

I have one of these batteries at home, in my mostly discharged spotlight lol but its pretty old by now. I will have to do some tests with it. Either way they can be bought anywhere optronics batteries are sold.

Flashaholic

Frustrating, isn't it? You're a little more obsessed than I am (at the moment), but sometimes you have to be. You don't want to spend more on a battery than you did on the light.

These lights should be built around a more powerful battery and not the other way around. The light is already heavy and a 4Ah battery probably wouldn't add that much more weight, but we're not the engineers or designers.

Keep pluggin'.

Add: Ran run-time test this morning and got 22mins! That's 10mins less than on Low.
    Last edited by SunFire900; 08-28-2009 at 08:19 AM.

Hi guys, I ordered mine from amazon a week back (still making its way to my place) and I'm getting worried after reading some of the recent posts regarding the battery issue (good thing is all came from walmart). Did anybody try/test a Stanley HID from amazon yet?
    -Thanks!

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by LOUSYGREATWALLGM View Post
    Hi guys, I ordered mine from amazon a week back (still making its way to my place) and I'm getting worried after reading some of the recent posts regarding the battery issue (good thing is all came from walmart). Did anybody try/test a Stanley HID from amazon yet?
    -Thanks!
    Yes, mine came from Amazon. Couldn't find one at Walmart.

Battery is an issue unless you think 23mins on High and 32mins on Low is good. Think about it, though. No matter how you slice it, it's only a 3000mAh battery! The light cuts off when the battery voltage gets a little under 12v!! Mine showed 11.82v immediately after cut-off.

Great light, otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by SunFire900 View Post
    Yes, mine came from Amazon. Couldn't find one at Walmart.

Battery is an issue unless you think 23mins on High and 32mins on Low is good. Think about it, though. No matter how you slice it, it's only a 3000mAh battery! The light cuts off when the battery voltage gets a little under 12v!! Mine showed 11.82v immediately after cut-off.

Great light, otherwise.
    Thanks! Seems no matter what we gonna do, under 30mins on high is what are get, then I'm okay with that
    Great light with Great price

Yea that's cool 22 min make me feel better I rest in peace now. I got 20 with one I bought. Will stick with that for now. I was using the 25 mins as my reference but may not be realistic. Spotlights are for intermittent use this is not a search light. 25 is ok and it keeps full brightness which is great improvement on halogen bulbs. 15 min though like many of them is unacceptable for a new product that should get more! So I would say expect 20 min minimum.

Maybe sometime ill get new optronics and run that and see what happens.

What is that freakin rectifier (they only use one diode) in the handle for?! You are charging with 12VDC!! :/

I have really had no issues with this light. I haven't tested the battery life, because I really have no need to run the light for more than a few minutes at a time. For 70 bucks it is a very good "wow light," considering most HID spotlights are 200+ dollars. I don't really mind about the battery capacity, since I can plug it into a wall or car outlet and run it from that if I really need to.

Mine has had no startup issues; it always starts up fine, and doesn't flicker or do anything out of the ordinary for an HID light.
    Eagletac T10L, 3D maglite with Malkoff 3-6D XP-G Dropin, Stanley 35 watt HID, Gerber LX 3.0, L-mini II Q3-5C, 2D ROP w/ LiMnNi 26650, Eagletac P100A2, Quark Mini AA XP-G S2

Unenlightened

I bought my Stanley HID two days ago at Walmart after I saw this thread. So far I am very happy with it and there seems to be no issues. I ordered a couple 4300k bulbs from ebay. Hopefully, my startup time isn't messed up by a new bulb.

Cool let us know how the 4300k's work in your light!

Quote Originally Posted by jagster936 View Post
    Cool let us know how the 4300k's work in your light!
    +1
    I would also like to know if there will be modding needed to replace the bulb. Thanks!

Someone needs to not be lazy and figure out how to mode in a LIPO and charger circuit into the light, cooome on can't be that hard . Duck tape laptop battery on top and feed it, 6AH double the run time and half the weight, if that!

No modding to replace the bulb - as long as you buy the short version of the H3, not the long version which is the most common. Look back in the thread - Part 1, I think, for a description of my replacement with a 4300K bulb.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Thanks! Found the thread reg the bulb replacement. Tried looking one from eBay but no luck

Unenlightened

How do you replace the bulb with a new one?

There are some directions in the original thread about bulb replacement and shimming.
    Eagletac T10L, 3D maglite with Malkoff 3-6D XP-G Dropin, Stanley 35 watt HID, Gerber LX 3.0, L-mini II Q3-5C, 2D ROP w/ LiMnNi 26650, Eagletac P100A2, Quark Mini AA XP-G S2

Hi guys, can any of you who owns this Stanley HID spotlight 35W tell me the exact current rating of the A/C charger? I lost my A/C charger

Thanks!

Label says:

12 Volts DC, 500 ma
    Center of pin is +
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    Label says:

12 Volts DC, 500 ma
    Center of pin is +
    Thanks!!

Got mine today! HID3000 (0109) on sale for $16. Walmart couldn't sell them. I saw it and almost ..... my pants on the price!

Scooped it up and it's the brightest thing in my town. Charging now.
    Last edited by Robocop; 09-25-2009 at 12:02 AM. Reason: language
    EDC: Rayovac 3W 2AA and Fenix LD01
    Fenix HAIII LD01 AAA Q5 Premium CE, Stanley HID3000 0109 mini sun on your shoulder, Rayovac 3W 2AA LuxIII, 3D MagLed LuxIII waiting to be modded.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast