ArmyTek
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 25678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Stanley H.I.D. and 1365 lumen spotlights (Part 2)

Default Re: Stanley H.I.D. and 1365 lumen spotlights (Part 2)

sounds like a defective battery i would take it back try another one

Quote Originally Posted by KarstGhost View Post
    Anybody else have problems with theirs out of the box? Mine says it is not charged (red light) when I pull the trigger. I plug it up and it automatically goes to green. I charged it for 8 hours (it says not to exceed that in the instructions) and it will blink dimly for 2 secs and go back off. Should I return it to Wally World?

Mine will turn orange shortly after I turn it on, which I think is normal. It only stays green when the battery is at or near full capacity. It gets run down so quick, the light turns orange, indicating that it is not operating on a full charge. Yours may have a defective battery.

Quote Originally Posted by jcw122 View Post
    I don't know much about spotlights and HIDs, but I got the vibe that this is the cheapest HID light available lol

I believe you are correct. It seems to me a light like this can be made for about 150.00 give or take a few bucks, that can have a metal casing, and be more like a standard flashlight. I am going to search for one over the next few weeks. I will try to get help from folks on the forum, but will have to post that in another area, as it would be out of topic here.

Quote Originally Posted by mikekoz View Post
    I will be returning mine. It is bright, but it was not that much brighter than my father in law's 2 million candlepower spotlight. This may have been somewhat misleading as his spotlight had a much warmer tint, but I was not as "wowed" as I thought I would be. I am also not impressed by the runtime, the lack of functionality of the dimmer, and will just not use it that much. I would rather have one of the smaller HID's that are made like my LED lights. I just do not know why they are so expensive. What is the cheapest hand held unit on the market these days?
    For a wow factor light, consider the Professional's Favorite 20+ million candlepower spotlight for $60 from Advance Auto. Easily out throws the Stanley HID and blows away the 2M Series. As far as smaller HIDs go I recommend the Titanium Innovations N30; others will be able to recommend even smaller flashlight style HIDs for you.

Does anyone know what the size designation is for the bulbs for this light? I'm on eBay and there are like 15 different size types.
    Full Size: Quark AA/^2 Tactical (Neutral White XP-E), Surefire 6P w/ NB XP-G (4000k), QTL (XP-G)
    Small Lights: L3 Illumination L10 (Nichia 219)

Support Systems: LaCrosse BC-900 NiHM and SheKor Li-Ion Chargers

It seems to be an H3 bulb. BVH posted more information about bulb replacement in the original thread for this light.
    Eagletac T10L, 3D maglite with Malkoff 3-6D XP-G Dropin, Stanley 35 watt HID, Gerber LX 3.0, L-mini II Q3-5C, 2D ROP w/ LiMnNi 26650, Eagletac P100A2, Quark Mini AA XP-G S2

Quote Originally Posted by KarstGhost View Post
    Anybody else have problems with theirs out of the box? Mine says it is not charged (red light) when I pull the trigger. I plug it up and it automatically goes to green. I charged it for 8 hours (it says not to exceed that in the instructions) and it will blink dimly for 2 secs and go back off. Should I return it to Wally World?
    mine is doing the exact same thing

Got one this morning, WallyWorld in Monroe, N.Y. now has two left... hoping for a good one out of the box. charging right now, we'll see. FWIW, they offered me a 1yr. replacement warranty for $5.88 or some such. Seems like a good idea. This balances nicely when held, I thought it would be much more top heavy. This is my first HID, and I fear not my last...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBeam22 View Post
    Thank you for report on that, Pellidon. It sounds like it might be Stanley's new longest throwing incandescent light. I would guess that the 2.5M is only $20 vs. $30 for the 2M since it is a 6V light and can't be run directly from its DC adaptor. Otherwise it sounds like an incredible budget thrower spotlight knowing the excellent quality of Stanley products.
    As I don't have a 2M to compare, I can't say anything conclusively, but I suspect you'd be better off with the 2M than the 2.5M. The 2.5M may or may not have a throw advantage, but the coarse "corkscrew" filament on the 6V 75W bulb makes a very ugly beam, and it has a 6V 4.5Ah (=27Wh) SLA, whereas the HID has a 12V 3Ah (=36Wh) battery, which I presume is shared by the 2M.

As for the DC adaptor issue -- correct that it can't be run from it, but I don't think that's why it's 2/3 the price. Looking at my HID and the 2.5M side-by-side, the HID is jam-packed with the battery, ballast, charging/control panel, LED board, and SLA, the 2.5M looks half-empty, with a smaller battery, plenty of space all around, and the bizarre choice of the exact same wall-wart as the 5W LED and the HID use, permanently mounted inside the back cover. I think it's 2/3 the price because it's only 2/3 full.

But hey, for $20, I'm not complaining. I think this one's likely to become a host for some experimentation -- definitely a nice Li-ion battery pack of some sort, and either an HID kit, a PAR36 ACL, or (if I come by obscene amounts of cash) a CSM-360 LED.

I just bought one off ebay....my first HID....accept for a CJ-7 that I put HID off road lights on.....hope its not a lemon.

I decided the Stanley HID is a must have for me after all the threads on this thing. Looked and looked at ALL the Wally Worlds down here with no luck! Finally found one on Amazon for $69.99 with free shipping! I hope it compares to my Chicago Power Tools (HF) 35w HID monster in terms of light output.

Hi, i'm freshie to HID and CPF too !

My buddy just bought this Stanley Hid 3000 for me from Lowes store but the model no. written in the packaging is HID 0109L. Is there any diffences between HID 0109 and HID 0109L. Both look indentical and it's the 35W version but there's isn't any 2-way dimmer switch at the back of this 'L' version

Would really appreciate some clarification from Stanley HID owner here.

Ooh, and where can i get the 4300k bulb from?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay611j View Post
    I decided the Stanley HID is a must have for me after all the threads on this thing. Looked and looked at ALL the Wally Worlds down here with no luck! Finally found one on Amazon for $69.99 with free shipping! I hope it compares to my Chicago Power Tools (HF) 35w HID monster in terms of light output.
    Walmart seems to carry them in the auto department, not in sporting goods with the other spotlights and flashlights. Hope you enjoy the light.

I also looked in the local Bay Area Wal Marts for the Stanly HID and gave up after going to about 3 different stores. I also bought one for a gift from Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo Cree View Post
    Walmart seems to carry them in the auto department, not in sporting goods with the other spotlights and flashlights. Hope you enjoy the light.
    I looked in both areas of the stores, and you're right about them being in the automotive section, but they only had the Stanley 5W LED Spotlight and the Stanley 1365 lumen Spotlight. I even pulled out the lights to see if they were hiding in the back, but no HIDs in sight.

So, I got my Stanley HID today and there is no hi/lo switch on the back. All it has is the AC charging port on back and DC port on the bottom of the handle. What gives? Anybody else have one like this?

Oh.... and I just tested it (BRIGHT) and I don't see the boost kicking in at all. When I turn it on it just gradually gets bright and stays bright (about 7-10 sec to full brightness). I left it on for about 2 minutes and saw no drop in brightness.

Weird. Are there now 2 different models?

So, I got my Stanley HID today and there is no hi/lo switch on the back. All it has is the AC charging port on back and DC port on the bottom of the handle. What gives? Anybody else have one like this?

Oh.... and I just tested it (BRIGHT) and I don't see the boost kicking in at all. When I turn it on it just gradually gets bright and stays bright (about 7-10 sec to full brightness). I left it on for about 2 minutes and saw no drop in brightness.
    Sounds like they made a design change. Can you post up some pics? Mine (at least) has an abrupt drop in output, and then it ramps all the way up in 3-4 seconds. Yours sounds like an automotive ballast, the way you describe it.
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    Sounds like they made a design change. Can you post up some pics? Mine (at least) has an abrupt drop in output, and then it ramps all the way up in 3-4 seconds. Yours sounds like an automotive ballast, the way you describe it.
    As requested.... No HI/LO switch on the back. Notice what it says on the back of the unit, I also put a link to a video of it starting up, I used it for about 10-15 minutes on a walk and noticed a slight flash when activated, but hardly even noticeable.

Video of startup ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeZnj8rWi84

Last edited by DM51; 02-03-2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: insert line breaks between photos to stack them vertically

Stanley arrived today BBT.

Interesting. That is definitely different than the one I just purchased from Walmart. Out of curiosity, what type of runtime did you get with the new design? After my first charge I only was able to get 16 minutes on high. I am thinking about returning it for the low battery life. I would be much happier at 25 minutes.

I think that some people on here have the Stanley 2.5 million candlepower spot light in addition to the HID. Is the light output between the 2.5 million and the HID in the same ballpark or is the difference major? I am starting to think while it is cool to have an H.I.D. for $70, with a 16 minute runtime it might make more sense to have 50 to 75% of the lightput for $19 instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Natedog100 View Post
    Interesting. That is definitely different than the one I just purchased from Walmart. Out of curiosity, what type of runtime did you get with the new design? After my first charge I only was able to get 16 minutes on high. I am thinking about returning it for the low battery life. I would be much happier at 25 minutes.

I think that some people on here have the Stanley 2.5 million candlepower spot light in addition to the HID. Is the light output between the 2.5 million and the HID in the same ballpark or is the difference major? I am starting to think while it is cool to have an H.I.D. for $70, with a 16 minute runtime it might make more sense to have 50 to 75% of the lightput for $19 instead.
    I just got it...it was heck getting it out of the plastic container.......it ran for about 7-8 pulls of the trigger then the battery died....I got it charging now....its as heavy as a brick....I did not know that mine was a new design?

Sorry Arnulf, I was referring to the new model that Jay611j has. I know what you are talking about regarding the packing job. It looks like the new design omits the hi-low switch. either way I would be curious to hear what your runtime is when you test the light out tonight. I wonder if mine is a dud.

Sorry Arnulf, I was referring to the new model that Jay611j has. I know what you are talking about regarding the packing job. It looks like the new design omits the hi-low switch. either way I would be curious to hear what your runtime is when you test the light out tonight. I wonder if mine is a dud.
    I like a hi-lo feature....if its not running full bore it will not suck the battery dry as fast.

Yeah....I will go out back with my GSD and let him have a run and I will play with my new HID spotlight.....see how long it will run until the battery dies.

Arnulf,

Which did you get , with or without hi/lo?
    Last edited by cccpull; 02-03-2010 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cccpull View Post
    Arnulf,

Which did you get , with or without hi/lo?
    Mine has the hi-lo switch.

Ok, the 2.5 Million candlepower Stanley was on clearance for $19 so I went ahead and picked it up for comparison's sake.

HID: Weighs 4.6 lbs, cold blue light, deep reflector giving a more focused longer throw with less spill (though what little spill it does have is plenty bright), easily lit up trees as far as 300 yards, dead at 17 minutes on high with no loss in brightness for entire burn, $70.

2.5M: 3.2 lbs, warm yellow light, shallow reflector producing more of a flood than a long throw beam, easily lit trees at 100 and 200 yards dimly lighting trees at 300 yards, goes strong for 10 minutes, notice dimming at 11 minutes, dead by 12 minutes, $19

I must admit that the HID is a heck of a lot brighter. The sustained output to the end was nice too. With both lights I could squeeze out about a minute more if I let them cool off for a few minutes. Fit and finish is the same on both lights which is impressive at $19 and a little underwhelming at $70.

That's my two cents...

I wonder if the cold weather here in MI. will make the run time even worse?

Haven't tested it all the way to the end in one shot yet, i'll do it tonight and see what it gets for runtime.

Haven't tested it all the way to the end in one shot yet, i'll do it tonight and see what it gets for runtime.
    Thanks, I'll join in and test mine tonight too.. I'll post back with results tommorow..
    ROBERTS30
    -Semper Fi-

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 25678910111213141516171819 LastLast