Who makes and sells dive lights on CPF?

300winmag

Enlightened
So I am looking to get another dive light this summer, something freakin bright and 2 hour + runtime. I honestly don't care how big it is as long as I can strap the canister to my tank I am good. It would be nice to be able to focus it, if not I wonder if it's possible to have a head with 4 or more focused R2's and 4 or more MC-E/P7's?
R2's would be for spot only and flip a switch(turn a knob) the R2's would shut off and the MC-E/P7's would kick in for a some area lighting.
But anyway who around here makes and sells dive lights? Maybe a sticky?

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do. But I think a light with 4 R2's and 4 MC-E's would just be far to big.

I have built several Maglite based can lights using 4 Q5's and aspherics that give a tight beam with minimal spill. Out shines 21w HIDs.

I will be starting another run of them this week.

300winmag

Enlightened
I am used to a UK D8 and that head is much bigger then a mag head, don't bother me much. I don't try to set a speed record underwater, I take my time and look at everything. :naughty:

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Each to their own. But a smaller head means it can be mounted using a goodman handle leaving both hands free.
Using a Mag also cuts down on cost. If you git a 80mm head the cost will be significant unless you use an existing light head.

The other problem with large lights is you need a much stronger lens to deal with the external pressure.

Last edited:

300winmag

Enlightened
Very true, how about a 2 stage 35/50 watt focusable HID light instead? Or even a 35 watt? I looked at the 50 watt Salvo :eek: but 2K is a little much :whistle:

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not seen a 35 or 50watt HID. But from most reports ( from those who dont own them) is they are simply too bright. There is a guy on Scubaboard who builds light heads for 35/50w HIDs. Rockstar I think he called them. Cant find his web page at the mo but I will have a better look later.

How about 2 R2's and 2 MC-Es in a mag lite. Should be about 2000 lumen. Switchable between either pair or both.

300winmag

Enlightened
I might have read the same reviews as you cause thats what I heard as well.
I figured if 50 is to bright then I could bump it down to 35.
As for 2 R2's and 2 MC-E's It is an option, depending on run time and price.
I wonder what that beam would look like, R2's on top and MC-E's on bottom..... Interesting

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be honest I am just not a fan of HID. It has two benefits over LED however. Sheer power and focus ability.
But I prefer the robustness of LED and also the ability to dim, change modes, turn on and off at will etc of LED.

How would 2 R2's and 2 MC-Es look? Well the R2 part is easy, look at my IST mod and x that by two or my mag can light and / by two. The MCE is a little different to judge. You would have to use 17-18mm reflectors. I have some somewhere so I could try it out if you are interested.

300winmag

Enlightened
Hmmmm I am stuck between 2 R2's and 2 MC-E's or 3 R2's and 1 MC-E....
I am worried that 2 R2's won't give me enough throw and also that 1 MC-E will not be bright enough underwater.... What are the lumens for the R2's and MC-E's? 250 and 600? If I shipped you my Underwater Kinetics D8 could you mod it for me? It's bigger then a mag head so I think you would be able to fit 1 or 2 more LEDs in it. You could just run the cable out the back of the light to the canister. Or do you like to stay within your comfort zone? If so maybe you could make 2 mag heads, 1 with R2's and 1 with MC-E's. I just put 2 mag heads on the top of my hand and that could work for me. I can switch between the 2 with the push of a button and maybe another button for both at the same time? don't know what would happen to the batteries if they were dying and I had to cycle through both heads going. maybe the batteries will go :poof:. I could make myself the handle at work so thats not a problem.
let me know what you think.

steve6690

Enlightened
I make dive lights but I'm currently only doing MR11 format which limits me to 4 x r2's OR 1 x MC-E.

3510421084_53d5b8946a_o.jpg

you can get the housings in a variety of sizes already built and tested, all you have to do is make up a heatsink and mount your led's and reflectors

steve6690

Enlightened
Where do you buy these MR11 housings??

Greetz johan

The housings in the picture are made for me in America. I currently only have 4 which I'm using to make up some prototypes. I might have some more made once I have an idea of how they might sell. The first prototype is having it's first dive test this Sunday..
They are actually designed around a Welch Allyn old-style 10W HID ballast and bulb so I'm hoping to put one of the new 1000 lumen WA HID's in.

steve6690

Enlightened
You can buy the housings here

Postage/shipping:
Germany €3-5
EU €10, orders over €300 free shipping.
Worldwide DHL €10, orders over €300 free shipping.

Those are different housings. I've used Miemczyk / Alunatec before and my personal primary light utilises one of their TG-1 housings. Excellent quality stuff but a bit expensive to buy their battery cans. Also, they only accept bank transfer - no credit/debit cards.

H20doctor

Enlightened
I make dive lights.. But I don't sell them here on CpF.. I can custom any Lumen output you want.. I can stuff 3 MCE in a mag Head for a 2400 Lumen light.. Or 4 XRE in a head with 8 deg Optics... Anything can be done ..