LED lantern recommendation?

MDNY

Newly Enlightened
I'm searching for a reasonably rugged lantern-style body (think Streamlight Firebox concept) possibly with an adjustable aim LED head, that will give me at least 120 lumens with dead flat regulation for at least 8 hours. Obviously, I can easily achieve and exceed this level of performance with any number of conventional cylindrical-type flashlight hosts, but I'm looking specifically for a lantern design (can be set down and positioned/aimed for performing work tasks, without rolling off surfaces), and also having a plastic case for non-conductivity. I haven't seen anything in a quality LED lantern design that meets these requirements. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Also - no need for rechargeability; in fact, primary batteries are preferred for this application.

Thanks.

Vinniec5

Enlightened
lovecpfIf money is no object the Pelican RALS 9430 is my first choice 15 hours and looks just the Litebox plus it has a pole that extends to make it a scene light.
Second would be the Responder LED LightHawk and I'd purchase the optional 6-cell L-ION battery for longer runtime 90 mins more from the 6 cell than the 4 cell 7hours plus.

I have the Litebox 8 watt spot= 8 hours and would change it to LED if I could find a good PAR36 lamp assy.

MDNY

Newly Enlightened
We have a bunch of the lightboxes, but I'm looking for an alternative that's WAY lighter, smaller, LED-based, and without the hassle of maintenance of chargers, periodic battery replacement, not knowing when the unit that is grabbed is going to give a full 8 hours, etc. The request has been for a unit that uses primary batteries that can be swapped out without hassling with recharging, etc. I haven't seen anything out there from any of the big guys. The Pelican system you mentioned is great, but what I need is individual portable lights for one-on-one use, traversing throughout a large industrial facility. The 8-hour requirement is a sticking point, so it sharply limits my choices. (Although if I could live with the lower output, I could probably outfit everyone with a SF 6P with a Malkoff M60LL and get the full 8 hours ....)

MDNY

Newly Enlightened
Yep - these are nice units for the price, and I bought a few some months ago for the crew to try out. They liked the light weight, portability, D-cells, but were not completely thrilled with the beam pattern and overall lumen level compared to the Liteboxes. If I recall correcly, those Energizer units were rated at something like 100 lumens vs 150 for the Litebox incandescent. Whether these are bulb lumens, out the front, etc., I can't say, since I didn't do any careful side-by-side comparisons. I also never tested the Energizers for lumens vs runtime, to see what is still there at 8 hrs.

If I can't find anything better, I may go back to pushing those Energizer units (assuming Energizer hasn't discontinued them as yet!).

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you considered a PR based 4D or 6volt incan lantern and putting a PR based LED in it?

MDNY

Newly Enlightened
Not really; maybe I need to experiment there a bit. I didn't go there yet based on wanting a well-engineered heatsinking solution, as well as a well-integrated emitter/reflector assembly. None of which would be a major problem for a single-unit tinkerer's light, but in my case I'd be looking at needing several dozen lights, for a fairly demanding industrial environment, and I would rather not get into a home-brew or custom assembly that would require special care and feeding once someone breaks one, etc.

broadgage

Enlightened
Here in the UK and I presume elswhere, lanterns are available that use a pair of 6 volt lantern batteries and a 5.4 volt PR base bulb.

These give at least 8 hours run time with the supplied incandescent bulb.
Retrofitting an everled or similar might be worth it to extend the run time and avoid bulb breakage.
I can understand the desire to avoid anything modded/home made, but a drop in bulb replacement should be OK.

Latest posts