Mr Bulk Dragon Heart Osram Diamond Dragon Mod

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Dragon Heart with Diamond Dragon. The owner couldn't have picked a better combination!

I took on this mod not knowing how the reflector would work with the Diamond Dragon & the owner wanted throw over flood. After boring out the reflector & playing with the focal point I found a sweet spot that gives very nice throw & it's very bright! Hope the owner enjoys! :wave:

-Mr Bulk Dragon Heart
-Osram Diamond Dragon LUW W5AP (Bin: NY 5Q)
-TaskLED D2DIM
-Aluminum heatsink
-27mm reflector
-UCL
-AW 18500 (High 2.5A, Low 4ma)

Img_0227.jpg

Img_0201.jpg

Img_0237.jpg

Img_0217.jpg

Bottom of leads potted to prevent shorting on heatsink
Img_0161.jpg

Drilled & threaded for ground screw then epoxied to prevent risk of coming loose
Img_0139.jpg

Img_0183.jpg

Img_0131.jpg

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
This light has a lot of throw for it's size. I don't have anything close to this size that compares in throw & brightness. Only light I have that has a similar beam is a Mag3C with a USXOH. Not really a fair comparison since the Mag has a much bigger reflector but the DH has no problem keeping up.

Indoor shots taken at 10ft.

Left: Dragon Heart Diamond Dragon, Right: Mag3C USXOH direct drive
dh_dd_mag3c_usxoh.jpg

Low exposure:
dh_dd_mag3c_usxoh_low.jpg

Here it is with a Novatac P7 D2DIM mod. Not fair as the Novatac P7 mod is a close range light but I never did post beamshots of a Novatac P7 yet so here they are.

Left: Dragon Heart Diamond Dragon, Right: Novatac DSWOI D2DIM
dh_dd_novatac_dswoi.jpg

Low (level1):
dh_dd_novatac_dswoi_lvl1.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

Img_0323.jpg

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
What kind of reflector is it? Is looks like it's half sputtered and half smooth.

Awesome pocket rocket mod.

Not sure, it's what came in the head. I always thought Charlie used IMS reflectors but my IMS27s don't look like that. The Chameleon I just did came with the same reflector.

If anyone knows where to get them I'd sure appreciate the info!

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure, it's what came in the head. I always thought Charlie used IMS reflectors but my IMS27s don't look like that. The Chameleon I just did came with the same reflector.

If anyone knows where to get them I'd sure appreciate the info!

IMS reflectors is what I thought all bulk lights used too. That's why I just had to ask when I saw what looks like a hybrid. :thinking:

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Work Will :twothumbs
I really like how you solved the before very flakey Ground path on this design.

The Chameleon has always used a Hybrid Reflector and so does the Dragon.
As to where it came from i dont know,but i remember Charlie talking about
finding the ultimate reflector and that it was somewhat a secret where he found it.

Here is the thread btw.

http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=741.0

Charlie calls it the MR reflector....dunno why and what the letters stand for.

Maybe someone else has some more info on this...its a long time since i
followed the release of the Chameleon.
There may have been another light that used this reflector but i cannot remember what it was.

Aha! Found it it was the VIP that first used this reflector..

See here! VIP Review by Cones
The VIP Bulkhead head is using the exact same reflector as the Chammie and Dragon.

Bulkhead

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]This is a complete new head, reflector and lens assembly for the VIP light engine.[/FONT][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]As you can see from the pictures it makes the whole light look a lot more like a traditional flashlight in shape.
What does this bigger head actually do? Well the larger reflector means that it is better at concentrating the light from the Luxeon into a more focused spot.
So the light will throw a lot further than the standard optic or 17mm reflector. [/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]The Bulk Head is machined in two half's that screw together. These are sealed with an O-ring to keep the dust and damp out.
The Mr Bulk 'Mystery' reflector is simply dropped into the head assembly when separated.
This seals against the UCL (Ultra Clear Lens) Coated glass lens which again seals onto the body of the light with an O-ring.
It all fits together perfectly and the aluminium parts are anodised type III HA black.
The reflector is part stippled near the Luxeon and the rest of it is smooth. [/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]In use the Bulk Head gives a great tight central hotspot with a large overspill of much lower output.
Quite a stunning improvement for such a small overall increase in size.[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]Highly recommended.[/FONT]
Benny

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Aha! Found it it was the VIP that first used this reflector..

So that's why it looks so familiar! I knew I had a light that had this reflector before. I was thinking it was some other non custom light though.

I miss my VIP package, especially the big bulkhead made by Otokoyama. :(

vip.jpg

toby_pra

Flashaholic
Nice Mod again Will! :D

Very clean work, i like your mods, need to send you
some lights too...:candle: :poke: :)

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Great work Will. Lathe coming handy, right? :devil:

Will

Most definitely! I can't believe I used to make heatsinks & modify reflectors by hand as long as I did. With the lathe it so much quicker, more precise, less tiring, less painful, & gives me the ability to do a lot more! :grin2:

Very nice Mod Will. I think these hybrid reflectors are actually from Streamlight.

Thanks Orlando! I think you are absolutely correct, looks exactly the same even down to the backside of it. Streamlight has other lights with the hybrid smooth & stochastic reflectors. Come to think of it, I used to have TL-2 LED that I bought for modding but sold it & it looks exactly the same.

Img_5600.jpg

Nice Mod again Will! :D

Very clean work, i like your mods, need to send you
some lights too...:candle: :poke: :)

No problem Toby. :wave:

shuter

Enlightened
Beautiful work Will! Nicely done. Looking forward to firing that thing up. I'm finding the whole thread interesting and informative. Thanks Benny for the Bulkware links and great sluthing Orlando on the reflector. What a great looking VIP kit! I had no idea there was so much done with the VIP!

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Beautiful work Will! Nicely done. Looking forward to firing that thing up. I'm finding the whole thread interesting and informative. Thanks Benny for the Bulkware links and great sluthing Orlando on the reflector. What a great looking VIP kit! I had no idea there was so much done with the VIP!

Hmm, I like it so much I'm not sure if I want to send it back now. :nana: J/K. Shipping tomorrow as soon as I get address confirmation from you. :wave:

Beamshots added to second post.

shuter

Enlightened
I just unpacked the DragonHeart with the Diamond Dragon emitter you did. Slipped a battery in and WOW!!! This thing is bright! :duck:

I picked out a couple of other DragonHearts for comparison. One with a P4 and one with a P7.

The P4 is a pretty bright light and sports a beautiful, pure, round beam with a fairly large hotspot and no artifacts that I find typical of the P4. However, comparing the two, the DD makes the P4 look absolutely puny in terms of brightness. The hot spot with the DD is much tighter and brighter and while it is not as perfectly round and integrated as the P4, it is close. For a light with a relatively small reflector the throw of the DD is amazing.

Next I compared it to the P7. When ceiling bounced it appears that the total amount of light in the room is fairly comparable but I give the edge to the DD. A bit hard to tell as the P7 I have has a much warmer color than the DD. The P7 has a dark spot in the middle that is not present with the DD and the throw with the DD is much much greater.

The beam qualities obtained in this build with the DD are about as close to perfect for my taste as you can get. A great build and now a wonderful and powerful light. Thanks Will! :thumbsup:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Would the Chameleon buck/boost circuit work with the Diamond Dragon mod? My SS DragonHeart uses that circuit. Is heat an issue with the SS body?

Bill