Fenix TA30 Review and Shootout

jchoo

Enlightened
For submission in the Reviews forum...

Introduction

I was fortunate enough to be chosen by Fenix to review their new light – the TA30. This light was built with the needs of law enforcement and military customers in mind. I am neither of these, but I am a member of our local volunteer EMS department, and have many similar needs to be met by a light. So far, this role has been filled by many lights that have passed through my collection, including models from Surefire, Inova, Fenix, Streamlight, and Olight. In the interest of full disclosure, I received this light at no cost to me, courtesy of Fenix and Fenix Outfitters.

DSC00095.jpg

First Impressions

When I first opened the package from the post office, my initial reaction was the same as when I received my first Fenix light (a P3D-CE) – a big grin and then amazement. With the P3D, my amazement was with the build quality, innovation, and output for its size. With the TA30, however, I can sum up my initial feelings for this light in one word… awe. This is a substantial light. This is no pocket/purse EDC like so many other new lights, nor does it deserve to be tossed into a junk drawer or tool box (although I'm sure there are folks out there that will do both of these things). Inside the package, the TA30 was nestled snugly into its molded plastic tray, along with a zip top bag with spare o-rings, switch boot, and a lanyard. There is also space for three CR123 cells, although none are included. Removing the tail cap reveals cleanly machined and anodized threads that came lightly oiled. Like other Fenix lights I have owned, the thread pitch is very fine, which concerns me given the abuse the target demographic is likely to give its equipment. I loaded the TA30 with a fresh set of USA made Battery Station cells and began waiting for it to get dark. :devil:

DSC00096.jpg

DSC00099.jpg

DSC00101.jpg

DSC00102-1.jpg

DSC00107.jpg

Outdoor Beamshots

These shots were taken with the lights mounted on a tripod, aimed at the front door of our house. The camera was mounted on a second tripod, slightly aft and starboard of the camera tripod (this is why the flood looks oblique in the shots). Included for comparison are:

* Surefire L1 Luxeon TIR
* Surefire E2L with KL1 head, TIR, and high CRI Seoul P4
* Surefire E2L with KX2 head (3/60)
* Surefire E2DL with KX2C head (120)
* Surefire G2 with P60
* Fenix E20
* Mag85

OK, kicking off the comparison, here are the low levels of the Surefire L1, E2L, and Fenix TA30.

Surefire L1 low
DSC00115.jpg

Surefire E2L low
DSC00113.jpg

Fenix TA30 low
DSC00121.jpg

Now, the medium TA30 vs. the high output settings on the L1 and E2L, as well as the high CRI E2L and Surefire G2.

Surefire L1 high
DSC00116.jpg

Surefire E2L high
DSC00112.jpg

Surefire E2L high CRI
DSC00114.jpg

Surefire G2
DSC00117.jpg

Fenix TA30 medium
DSC00122.jpg

Now, the higher output lights – Fenix E20, Surefire E2DL (single level KX2C) and the TA30 on high… as well as a Mag85, just for fun!

Fenix E20 – spot
DSC00119.jpg

Fenix E20 – flood
DSC00120.jpg

Surefire E2DL high
DSC00118.jpg

Fenix TA30 high
DSC00123.jpg

Mag85 spot
DSC00124.jpg

Mag85 flood

DSC00125.jpg

Please note that I do not have a DSLR camera at my disposal, so all shots were taken with a little point and shoot Sony DSC-W50. As a result, the dimmer settings and lights do not show up properly. Rest assured that those almost entirely black shots are NOT representative of the actual visible scene.

Beginning with the low output levels, it is clear that the TA30 is brighter on low than either of the Surefires – not a surprise, considering that it is rated at 9 lumens, compared to the L1 and E2L's 1.1 and 3 lumen ratings, respectively. What is surprising is the way this light throws, with an even tighter hotspot than the new Surefire e-series TIR in my E2L and E2DL. Even at the lowest output level, I could readily see details on the front of the cabin from 30 yards out. This greater output, however, makes it a bit overwhelming when navigating a dark house.

Moving up to the tactical levels, things become more interesting, given the wide range of outputs that I am using for this comparison. The Surefire L1 is rated at a mere 22 lumens, I can only guess that the modded E2L outputs about 40-45 lumens, and the G2, E2L KX2, and TA30 are all rated at 60 lumens. Even so, I feel they are all roughly the same in terms of usability. Leading the pack in terms of throw are the E2L KX2 on high and the TA30 on medium. The E2L's optic gives it a larger hotspot but dimmer spillbeam, but the TA30 has the exact opposite – a small, bright spot, and wide spill, much like the P60 module. The L1's spot is very well defined and is only slightly dimmer than that of the other lights - but offers ZERO spill. The Seoul P4 behind the TIR optic changes its properties slightly, mimicking the P60's spot and adding an ever so slight amount of spill.

On the high side of the output scale, the TA30 really shines. It is brighter by far than the E20, and also outdoes my other favorite "really bright" single die LED light, the E2DL. I have yet to test the light's longevity and usability in practical use (that will come later this week), but as far as the output levels are concerned, I feel they are pretty much spot on for the light's intended market.

I'll continue the review after I have an opportunity to put the light through its paces on my next duty night, and I will loan it to a local Sheriff's deputy to use for a week or two on night shift to get his opinion of the light.

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review and beamshot comparrison. I really like that you showed what the TA30 can do on low and high...against lights that many here have. Good Job...Thanks!

DM51

Flashaholic
Thank you for your very thorough review. It seems a substantial light, and I'm sure members will have some extra questions for you. I'm moving this to the Reviews forum.

cburris72

Newly Enlightened
I own this light and can honestly say I love it. I loved it so much that I bought one for my wife. This light is not just a flashlight but can be used as a serious weapon. Highly recommend and I am a surefire guy but surefire has nothing to compare to this light except the defender.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I have several newer and brighter lights I still like TA30. The revolving dimmer I would prefer for all lights. And the modes are well spaced.
There are a few issues with it however: now and then the strobe doesn't work, and it becomes just the highest mode instead. I really don't care about that because I never use strobe.
Even worse is that the light turns off after a few seconds. Then I have to press the button off and then on again. Then it works a few seconds and turns off again. The same procedure occurs at all modes.

Any idea what to do, is it possible to solve this problem?

Last edited: