Lummi/Orb Pioneering?

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apologies if this comes across as a big myself up / blowing smoke up ones backside. That is not the intention or a requirement of mine. I'd just like to know some actual historical realities & facts please.
I do wonder if some of what I have done with my LED lights over the years can be considered by others (everybody's input preferred) as a First, which then became CPF standards for today.
Of course I have no claim to any rights, just purely would like everybody's combined knowledge here.
So here are my wonders?

1. Was the Orb Ti (2004) the first CNC machined Titanium LED light we are aware of that could be purchased?

2. Were the Raw's (2005) the first lights with milled slots in for tritium vials.
I know that Mcgizmo did a great job earlier with installing very tiny locators x4 around the luxeon emitter of his Aleph range (2004)
I also offered a locator across the reflector in the Orb (2004), the 1st light I am aware of with locators was the Traser Teknolite.
Question is milled slots?

3. Were the Orb lights the 1st to be available in bare metal (2004)?

4. Was the Raw bonkers enough to be the smallest brightest 3 watt LED torch available to purchase (2005)

To my knowledge the above is correct, I stand correct if wrong.
Not sure how the responses will come in? Agree / disagree. Debate etc etc... Intention is to keep for fun.

I have just thought of a few other firsts but others did not follow suit.

1. Raw Ag, First Sterling silver LED torch.
2. Raw NS, First Nickel Silver LED torch.
3. Wee first to have reflector machined into actual body.
Maybe more maybe less???

Of course without CPF & its members perhaps none of the above would have gone anywhere anyway. So its still thanks to you all.
Cheers Rob.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
and now that i have been carrying my Raw AL for few weeks now i still think your product is awesome in comparison to others.

and even if the flashlight was basically designed several years back, it is still very novel and fresh looking thing even today.

proof of good design is that it looks ageless.
and also allows upgrades to some extent.

beautiful looking items that can seriously also serve a purpose as flashlight!

**my poor AL is starting to look like i should start calling it Scratcy.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re:2
Back when this Raw was released.....
orb.jpg

....the only light with tritium that I can remember were the customs that Jets22 did on the Arc LS.
jets22.jpg

The vial was inserted in a drilled hole vertically in the tail cap and were refered as `tritium dots`.
Slots were not milled.

Re:3
There were Arc LS `grey kits` offered in bare Al, but these were not regular items.

I haven't been able to follow all the lights you produce (still :banghead: for missing the Damascus!) but
have a feeling the other claims are correct.
Your designs are all very original :thumbsup:

Last edited:

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thanks: Nekomane
Nice to see your photo again.

Any more information?

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
3. Were the Orb lights the 1st to be available in bare metal (2004)?

If you mean by first flashlights having no finish then lights like Bigbeam "explosion proof model 1950's" were made from solid copper with no finish:), though there was earlier lights made by other companies "not sure which" but I've seen solid copper flashlights on EBay from 20's-30's:eek:.

aikiman44

Enlightened
Rob, if the questions can be answered in the affirmative, then by all means you should take credit.:wave:

IMG_2126.jpg