PK Design Lab
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6910111213141516

Thread: SALE: JM-PhD-D1 PWM Hotwire Regulator

Flashaholic*

Default Re: SALE: JM-PhD-D1 PWM Hotwire Regulator

Quote Originally Posted by RCantor View Post
    Will your new regulator take GY6.35 bulbs? I'd love to have 10 levels of light output, or as many as I could get. With a 3000 Lm hotwire they'd be used
    I can do 10 levels if you want.
    However, this is just the electronics board. There is no socket or base or anything else. Go to the first page and read up on it. There is also a link to my support site that you can use to download things like instructions, etc.

Oops. I need to correct the links. Until then use this one.

http://mysite.verizon.net/jminihane/id1.html
    Last edited by JimmyM; 12-16-2011 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RCantor View Post
    Will your new regulator take GY6.35 bulbs? I'd love to have 10 levels of light output, or as many as I could get. With a 3000 Lm hotwire they'd be used
    Before you commit to 10 levels of output, I suggest thinking about whether this number is actually useful.

First, with halogen lamps, you don't want to dim (underdrive) them too much because you'll interrupt the halogen cycle, which can actually shorten the filament life. Safe undervoltage levels seem to range from around 90% of rated voltage down to perhaps as low as 70%. I personally wouldn't underdrive a halogen lamp for long runs at less than 70% of rated voltage.

Second, you need to examine the degree of overdrive you can achieve with whatever bulb you select. If the bulb doesn't allow a large amount of overdrive, then the drive voltage range might be rather limited for 10 levels of dimming.

Third, once you do establish the under/overvoltage range for you lamp, then you should calculate some theoretical lumens outputs for that voltage range to see if 10 levels of dimming makes sense. The eye has a logarithmic response to bnghtness, so you probably want to have at least 2X lumens per dimming step, otherwise the steps won't be very noticeable. For example, if your under/overvoltage range gives you an output range of say 300 lumens to 3000 lumens, you won't be able to fit in 10 useful levels of dimming.

Thanks! I didn't know about the problem with under-driving. That changes my plans Any way to calculate Lm from voltage? The 12V lamp is rated at 2550 LM. I imagine 70% of the current will produce less than 70% of the lumens. I was hoping to go from 20 to 3000+ At least in the LED world there's a very noticeable difference from 400-600, 600-900 and even 900-1200.

errr - would you join this thread

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...34#post3820634

so as not to derail the sales thread. Thanks. I appreciate any help. I'm new to mags and hotwires.

To re-rate lumens: (Va/Vd)x * lumens at design voltage

where

Va = applied voltage
    Vd = design voltage
    x = rerating exponent

The rerating exponent is a tricky thing. Some folks use 3.4-3.5. Others use 3.0. Regardless, it's only an approximation. For x=3.0 and 2550 lumens at the design voltage of 12V, at 70% voltage the rerated output is about 875 lumens.

Flashaholic*

Jimmy, it looks like there are 74 KIU D socket kits available for $12 each as well as 20 C socket kits...http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-bezel-for-mag

Perhaps time for another run of regulators?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyM View Post
    I haven't forgotten about you guys. I have my bill of materials out and am going to get things rolling for another batch of 100.
    SPY 007 XM-L2, BVH 150w Vec192 HID, Gen III Maxabeam, Barn Burner, FireFox III, Mac's Customs 3840L & Damascus/Cu/Al Tri-EDCs, ma_sha1 FrankenMag, Drake, MF Scorpion 4x XM-L2, Tri-219 EYE10, XP-G2 X10

I've been just dying for word of another run of these, and am good for at least one, possibly two. I was planning to PM Jimmy about this soon.
    I'm an excellent driver. Of course I don't have my underwear... I'm definitely not wearing my underwear

Flashaholic*

You're right guys. I have been needing to do another run for far too long. Work is just insane these last 4 months. But I'll try to move things up a bit and start working on my CFO (wife) for the parts money.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyM View Post
    You're right guys. I have been needing to do another run for far too long. Work is just insane these last 4 months. But I'll try to move things up a bit and start working on my CFO (wife) for the parts money.
    Dr. Rumack: "I just want to tell you both good luck. We're all counting on you."

(From "Airplane" 1980)

Flashaholic

Still moving with these?

I have nearly collected all the parts for a 64458 build aside from the regulator.

Cheers,
    Nova

Flashaholic*

yup. still in the works. im on vacation at the moment, but have secured financing from my CFO.

Flashaholic*

(Sometimes, a few smilies are worth a thousand words.)
    SPY 007 XM-L2, BVH 150w Vec192 HID, Gen III Maxabeam, Barn Burner, FireFox III, Mac's Customs 3840L & Damascus/Cu/Al Tri-EDCs, ma_sha1 FrankenMag, Drake, MF Scorpion 4x XM-L2, Tri-219 EYE10, XP-G2 X10

Flashaholic*

I've put together the shopping cart on Digikey and will be placing the order next week. When I've begun building and testing them, I'll create a new thread for the Batch 2 sale.

GREAT news !!!

Awesome! So glad I don't have to use the regulator in my 15.2V, 623 firestarter for an planned incan thrower.

Thank you, AND your CFO!
    I'm an excellent driver. Of course I don't have my underwear... I'm definitely not wearing my underwear

Flashaholic*

Parts are on order and have shipped.

Flashaholic*

Parts arrived today from Digikey. I'll get into the basement later this week and get things started.

Flashaholic*

Just finished the first set of 10. Thought you might like a peek.

They all accept programming and had no bridges or tombstones on the first pass. Whoopie.
    Now on to power testing.
    Last edited by JimmyM; 07-20-2012 at 07:09 AM.

Flashaholic*

Batch 2 is now available HERE.
    This will be the last batch for a long time if ever. So get 'em while they're hot.

Flashaholic*

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
    Due to a change in Verizon's service, my support site that hosts the software for my regulators is going away.
    Get it while it's hot. I'll try to figure out another solution at some point.
    Here's the link... http://mysite.verizon.net/jminihane/index.html
    and here are all of the links to the files.
    ---------------------------------------
    How to Load Firmware on your PhD-D1: Link

Firmware:
    Rev3f: Link
    Rev3h: Link

Connection Diagrams:
    Powering your D1 externally if programming when not installed: Link
    Standard installation: Link
    Multi-Level UI: Link

Assembly Instructions:
    Drill Template: Link
    Standard installation:Link
    Multi-Level UI installation:Link
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by JimmyM; 02-01-2014 at 03:54 AM.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6910111213141516