• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SALE: JM-PhD-D1 PWM Hotwire Regulator

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
SOLD OUT: JM-PhD-D1 PWM Hotwire Regulator

I'd like to announce the sale of the JM-PhD-D1. SOLD OUT. Do not place more orders.
Major Update! Multi-level operation is now available.

JM-PHD-D1_single_zpsd14bb011.jpg

This has been built based on theory, development, and prototyping work done by AlanB, wquilles, myself, and others over the last several months.
Design links:
Part1
Part2
Part3

Feeler threads
Part1
Part2

Major Update! Multi-level operation is now available.
It's a lot of information, but please read through it, it will answer most of you questions.
The Basics...
What it is: The JM-PhD-D1 is a voltage regulator for hotwire flashlights that uses an Atmel Tiny84 microprocessor to measure battery voltage and adjust the output using 12-bit PWM to maintain constant RMS voltage to the bulb.

Where it goes: It's designed to fit under the aluminum base of a KIU socket for a D cell Mag body. With its current software version, you make adjustments via 2 onboard pots, so drilling 2 holes in your KIU base will make things a lot easier for adjustments after it is installed. See below for drilling a template and installation documents..

How it works: It uses PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) to control the RMS voltage to the bulb. By turning a switch (an FET) on and off several times (244Hz) a second, the "effective" voltage that the bulb sees can be controlled. The bulb is still receiving the full battery pack voltage while the switch is on, but it's not on for the whole time. The frequency of the PWM and thermal mass of the filament prevent flicker. It can only control output voltage less than or equal to the pack voltage. It cannot boost battery voltage.

Can it be used with LEDs? Since the full battery voltage is applied to the output while the FET is on, it could only be used with LEDs if the full battery voltage could be applied to the LED without damage. Also, since LEDs turn on and off faster than a filament, you will probably notice flicker. So it is my recommendation that this not be used with LEDs.

What functions / features exist? I have tried to future proof the hardware design as much as possible. There are 2 11-turn pots onboard for adjustment. I've used 11-turn pots to allow very fine adjustment. There are also 3 additional pads that connect to unused pins on the Tiny84 to allow the future use of pushbuttons or LEDs for things like mode selection, voltage level selection or adjustment, low battery indication, rotary encoder, etc, etc, etc. There is a 6-pin programming header onboard to allow for software updates. The programming header is female to avoid shorts, so a male-male adapter is required to connect it to the programmer. I have a bunch of them and will include one with each order until I run out.

Current Software Functions:
Standard Mode:

This mode is designed to have power to the "control power" connection switched on or off by the existing Mag switch (See wiring diagrams). When turned on, the regulator will softstart to the set voltage. The 2 pots onboard are used to adjust output voltage and low voltage set point.

Pot 1 (Vbulb): Adjusts desired output voltage between 0 and 40V. (Clockwise increases) If you set the output to a voltage above the battery voltage, the FET will be turned on 100% of the time and you will only be able to get the pack voltage.
Pot 2 (Vlow): Adjusts low voltage set point. (Clockwise increases) When the low voltage set point is reached (by falling pack voltage) and maintained for 0.125 to 0.5 seconds (configurable by the user), the output will be reduced and ramped up and down between 2 lower percentages of the set output voltage. It will pulse. If the batteries recover, the regulator will ramp voltage back up to the set point.
Low voltage actions: The user can select how the regulator should behave once in Low Voltage Mode. The light can pulse OR dim.
Low Voltage shutdowm options: The light, once in low voltage mode, can either shut down after a selected period of time, or can shutdown once the battery voltage has fallen to a user selected percentage of the Low Voltage warning point. or BOTH which ever comes first.
Over temperature warning: At a user selected temperature (50, 60, 70, 80C), the light will dim to 35% of it's set voltage.
Over temperature shutdown: If selected by the user, the light can shut itself down if in Over temperature mode for a period of seconds selected by the user.
S-Curve softstart ramp: This function is not an option, it's more of a feature. It starts the bulb slowly at first, then ramps quickly to a point less than the regulated voltage then ramps slowly to the target voltage. It's designed to improve bulb care and hopefully blow up fewer bulbs.
Soft Start speed: 3 speeds are available. Slow, Medium, or Fast.
..Slow is best for users that are pushing the bulb very close to its flash point. It's a gentle start.
..Medium is a good multi-purpose start.
..Fast is very fast. The bulb comes on almost instantly.
When the light shuts down due to over temperature or low voltage it's not completely shutdown. It's actually asleep and will consume 0.1mA of current.

Multi-Level Mode:
This mode is designed to have battery voltage connected all the time to the "control power" connection (See wiring diagrams).
The existing Mag switch will need to be modified for Momentary operation. The Mag switch will then need to be connected from the A2 pad on the board to the Battery Negative ( B- ) connection. (See wiring diagrams).
The Mag switch will now control multiple levels of output selected by the user.
These levels are percentages of the voltage set using the Vbulb Pot. So, for example, Level-1 can be 87% of Vbulb, Level-2 can be 94% of Vbulb, and Level-3 can be 100%.
From the Off condition, 1 click will turn the light on to Level-1. Another click will advance the light to Level-2, another click will advance the light to Level-3, another click will return the light to level-1. click & hold the button for 1 second and the light will shut off.
The click&hold can be done at any time. From off, 2 quick clicks goes to Level-2. 3 quick clicks goes to level-3.
The voltage percentages for the different levels are selected by the user (either when ordering, or by re-programming it later). They can be in any order you want. You can have a light that sequences through low, med, high or high, medium, low. The regulator can also be set up for just 2 levels or just 1 level if you want.

Pot 1 (Vbulb): Adjusts Maximum output voltage between 0 and 40V. (Clockwise increases) If you set the output to a voltage above the battery voltage, the FET will be turned on 100% of the time and you will only be able to get the pack voltage.
Pot 2 (Vlow): Adjusts low voltage set point. (Clockwise increases) When the low voltage set point is reached (by falling pack voltage) and maintained for 0.125 to 0.5 seconds (configurable by the user), the output will be reduced and ramped up and down between 2 lower percentages of the set output voltage. It will pulse. If the batteries recover, the regulator will ramp voltage back up to the set point.
Output level percentages: The user can select (while ordering or re-programming) what percentage of Vbulb each level can be.
Soft Ramping: This option enables the regulator to ramp softly to the next level
Low voltage actions: The user can select how the regulator should behave once in Low Voltage Mode. The light can pulse OR dim.
Low Voltage shutdowm options: The light, once in low voltage mode, can either shut down after a selected period of time, or can shutdown once the battery voltage has fallen to a user selected percentage of the Low Voltage warning point. or BOTH which ever comes first.
Over temperature warning: At a user selected temperature (50, 60, 70, 80C), the light will dim to 35% of it's set voltage.
Over temperature shutdown: If selected by the user, the light can shut itself down if in Over temperature mode for a period of seconds selected by the user.
S-Curve softstart ramp: This function is not an option, it's more of a feature. It starts the bulb slowly at first, then ramps quickly to a point less than the regulated voltage then ramps slowly to the target voltage. It's designed to improve bulb care and hopefully blow up fewer bulbs.
Soft Start speed: 3 speeds are available. Slow, Medium, or Fast.
..Slow is best for users that are pushing the bulb very close to its flash point. It's a gentle start.
..Medium is a good multi-purpose start.
..Fast is very fast. The bulb comes on almost instantly.
When the light is shutdown by the user or due to over temperature or low voltage it's not completely shutdown. It's actually asleep and will consume 0.1mA of current.

Setting the voltage: Any voltage setting must be done with a bulb or other load in place in the socket. A 5W 1K Ohm resistor will work in place of a bulb. A True RMS reading DMM is best (Like the Fluke 189), but it can be done with an average reading DMM using the following calculation.
You need to now the following:
Vin = Battery voltage under load
Vrms = Your desired RMS voltage (The effective voltage to the bulb)

Vavg=(Vrms^2)/Vin

Once you've calculated Vavg, turn the voltage adjust pot until your meter reads the Vavg voltage you just calculated.

Setting the low voltage point is a little trickier. First turn the Vlow adjustment pot counter-clockwise several turns. You need to let the batteries drain to the voltage you want them to shut off, then turn the pot clockwise until the light begins to pulse. Then adjust slowly around the point where the pulsing began to fine tune the adjustment.

I will make the initial adjustment per the buyer's specification.

Any adjustments for voltage can be done with the 2 onboard pots. You do NOT need a computer & programmer to make settings changes. The programming header on the board is for future software updates and for those of you who want to do customizations to the software. All you need with the current software revision is a very tiny screwdriver. Adjustments can be made with the light on. If adjusting the pots while the regulator is installed, NO special precautions need to be taken to avoid touching the aluminum base with adjustment screwdriver.

High temperature indication: When/If the microprocessor reaches a user selcted temperature (50,60,70,80 deg C), the voltage will be ramped down to 35% of the set output and will remain there until power cycled.

Specifications:
10/12-bit regulation: Gives 0.04V resolution while setting the regulator, but is extremely accurate at holding that voltage. Typically better than 0.03V
Minimum voltage: 5.2V
Maximum voltage: 40V
Maximum continuous current: 13A (Lux Luthor has performed testing up to 15 Amps without high temperature shutdown)
Adjustable output range: 0V to battery pack voltage.
Leakage current:
..Using the "Standard Mode": When OFF, the driver will leak ~1 uA of current.
..Using the "Multi-Level Mode": When "OFF", the regulator is sleeping and uses 0.1 mA of current.

Testing done so far:
64625 @ 13V with 17V input creates very little heat in the FET.
64447 @ 18V with 39.9V input creates almost no temperature increase in the FET at all.
This unit will not handle the 600+ watt lantern style lights.

OK. Now the bottom line.
Each unit is $40 USD and shipping within the US is by US Priority Mail ($7 per order, up to 10 units). International shipping is on a per order basis and will have to be figured out at shipping time. Each order will include one male-male programming adapter. First Class Mail International is generally within the $7 shipping charge.
-------Ordering Option---------
For "Standard Mode" (Default Values are Bold)
Operation Mode: Standard
Vbulb: Your desired Vbulb voltage
Vlow: The voltage where the low voltage warning should kick in.
Softstart: Slow, Med, Fast
Low Volt Warning: Pulsing or Dimming
Low volt shutdown: Timed:# seconds, Undervolt: X%, or Both (Both, 30 Seconds, 94%)
Over Temp trigger: 50C, 60C, 70C, or 80C
Over Temp Shutdown: Yes/No, If, Yes, Y seconds: (30 Seconds)
Response: 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 second

For "Multi-Level Mode"
Operation Mode: Multi-Level (Default Values are Bold)
Vbulb: Your desired Vbulb voltage
Vlow: The voltage where the low voltage warning should kick in.
Level-1: 18-100% (87%)
Level-2: 18-100% (94%)
Level-3: 18-100% (100%)
SoftRamp: Yes/No
Softstart: Slow, Med, Fast
Low Volt Warning: Pulsing or Dimming
Low volt shutdown: Timed:# seconds, Undervolt: X%, or Both (Both, 30 Seconds, 94%)
Over Temp trigger: 50C, 60C, 70C, or 80C
Over Temp Shutdown: Yes/No, If, Yes, Y seconds: (30 Seconds)
Response: 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 second

-------------------

Example order will list the number of units, the set voltage, low voltage point, and options.
Also include the shipping method if it differs from US Priority mail. International orders can be shipped by First Class Mail International and is also covered by the standard $7 shipping.
Please copy and paste the text of your CPF "I'll take it" post into your PayPal payment along with your CPF handle. You NEED to include your CPF handle.
Send PayPal to:
--------
I'll take:
3 drivers
Vbulb: 7.2V
Vlow: 6.6V
Softstart: Med
Low Volt Warning: Pulsing
Low volt shutdown: Both. Timed:30 seconds, Undervolt: 87%
Over Temp trigger: 60C
Over Temp Shutdown: Yes, 10 seconds:
Response: 1/8 second

Vbulb: 13.4V
Vlow: 12.0V
Softstart: Slow
Low volt shutdown: Both. Timed:30 seconds, Undervolt: 87%
Over Temp trigger: 70C

Operation Mode: Multi-Level
Vbulb: 13.4V
Vlow: 12.0V
Level-1: 80%
Level-2: 92%
Level-3: 100%
SoftRamp: Yes
Softstart: Slow
Low volt shutdown: Both. Timed:30 seconds, Undervolt: 92%
Over Temp trigger: 70C

Total: $127
---------
My first batch is 100 units. I'm planning on a second batch if the demand in great enough.

Wiring diagram for "Standard Mode" installation..

Wiring diagram for "Multi-Level Mode" installation.

All support documents and code can be found below.
---------------------------------------
How to Load Firmware on your PhD-D1: Link

Firmware:
Rev3f: Link
Rev3h: Link

Connection Diagrams:
Powering your D1 externally if programming when not installed: Link
Standard installation: Link
Multi-Level UI: Link

Assembly Instructions:
Drill Template: Link
Standard installation:Link
Multi-Level UI installation:Link
------------------------------------------------------------

All options/features are available in the Rev3 code. Any one that wants to tweak their setting by re-programming the light themselves should download the most recent source code.

Detailed programming instructions.

An instructional document for the "Standard Mode" installation.
An instructional document for the "Multi-Level" installation.

A drill template for the KIU socket can also be found in the support site. You print the PDF at 100% size. Cut out the round regulator board outline. Then place the cut out paper inside the bottom of the KIU socket so the printing is visible. Line up the screw holes of the KIU with the screw hole markings on the paper and use a sharp object to mark the centers of the holes to drill to allow pot adjustments without removing the switch from the body.

Last edited:

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations, Jim!

I'll take the first one!!!
8 nimh AA so min voltage 0.9 ea or 7.2V
wa1185 10.8 volts regulated
$40 + $7 ship.

:paypal:

Last edited:

niner

Enlightened
Hi neighbor,

Beautiful work. I'm definitely getting one. I will get another one if it can handle 12 Li-Ion cells (~51V). What's the max input voltage?

Thanks.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
:party: Sweet :party:

Nice one Jimmy.

I will take Two ( for Now )

#1 Set voltage ? V, low volt: ?V
#2 Set voltage ? V, low volt: ?V

Sorry to be difficult, but at the moment I dont know. But I'm Glad I didn't sell my Fluke 189.

Couple of questions...
How long is the soft start?
Do you still get a soft start if the FET is at 100%?
If the Temp is 70 deg C, and it goes to 25% set O/P...if you turn on and off quickly does the temp feature still kick in when/if the circuit is > 70 Deg C? ( I'm assuming you chose 70 degrees, as the socket may be this hot so the cells ( Li-ion etc,) will still be at 60 deg. or below?
Is the 70 degrees set in stone...or could it be changed in the future. (future hardware/ connection/ software dependant?) or is 70 deg the max heat you would want on the circuit

I will PM later with shipping requirements to the UK, and Voltage settings.

Congratulations...This is Cool!!!! lovecpf

Last edited:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi neighbor,

Beautiful work. I'm definitely getting one. I will get another one if it can handle 12 Li-Ion cells (~51V). What's the max input voltage?

Thanks.
40V. Sorry Dude. I'll see if I can a different onboard regulator for a possible future mod/version.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
:party: Sweet :party:

Nice one Jimmy.

I will take Two ( for Now )

#1 Set voltage ? V, low volt: ?V
#2 Set voltage ? V, low volt: ?V

Sorry to be difficult, but at the moment I dont know. But I'm Glad I didn't sell my Fluke 189.
Congratulations...This is Cool!!!! lovecpf

How long is the soft start? About 250mS, but can be changed in software.
Do you still get a soft start if the FET is at 100%? Yes
If the Temp is 70 deg C, and it goes to 25% set O/P...if you turn on and off quickly does the temp feature still kick in when/if the circuit is > 70 Deg C? It will try to ramp up, but if it's still over 70C after 0.5 seconds, it will drop back to 25%.
( I'm assuming you chose 70 degrees, as the socket may be this hot so the cells ( Li-ion etc,) will still be at 60 deg. or below? 70 was a compromise between 60 and the maximum rated for the controller.
Is the 70 degrees set in stone...or could it be changed in the future. (future hardware/ connection/ software dependant?) or is 70 deg the max heat you would want on the circuit. 70 is the max I'd like to see, but it is reconfigurable in software

niner

Enlightened
40V. Sorry Dude. I'll see if I can a different onboard regulator for a possible future mod/version.

Jim, I'll take two anyway.

#1 set volt:17.5V, low volt: 12V
#2 set volt:29V, low volt: 24V

Total: $87. :paypal:

Thanks!

chuck614

Newly Enlightened
Is there a tutorial with pix that would help with assembly into the Mag switch? Thanks

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a tutorial with pix that would help with assembly into the Mag switch? Thanks
I have a wiring diagram that I'm going to try to post again. I'll see if I can put together a tutorial for the assembly. Until then it's essentially the same as assembling the JM-SST or AWR HorDriver.

I CANNOT get ImageShack to upload a picture. Where do you folks host your pictures?

Last edited:

Starlight

Enlightened
I'll take 3.
#1 set voltage 18v, low voltage 26v
#2 set voltage 13.1v, low voltage 12.5v
#3 same as #2

I need a 600+ watt version whenever you can make them. It needs to be at least 45v-60v and at least 25 amps.

Paypal sent for $127.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a wiring diagram that I'm going to try to post again. I'll see if I can put together a tutorial for the assembly. Until then it's essentially the same as assembling the JM-SST or AWR HorDriver.

I CANNOT get ImageShack to upload a picture. Where do you folks host your pictures?

Jim,

We can put photos on my site if you like, right next to your code. We can set it up tonite if you wish. Ship me what you would like posted. I'll make a directory for your stuff.

sygyzy

Enlightened
For those placing orders could you put down your aplication so the less technically minded readers (ie myself), can get an idea of settings? See what Alan B did in the first reply.

Bullet Bob

Enlightened
:paypal:for 2 . Details in paypal transactions for voltage. JIC I'll relist here. One at 22.5 bulb voltage and the other at 23.5 with both packvoltage cutoffs at 24 volts. :twothumbs

Last edited:
O.K. Jim. I think I've got it figured out.

I want to start out with one driver.

Will be running 8 x 18650 cells powering a 12 v 35 w Hikari bulb.

Max voltage for the bulb is 22.5 (Lux Luthor's chart), so set driver at 22.5 max.

EDIT
Min voltage for the pack should be 24v (this would be discharging each cell to 3 v. I assume this is safe since protection kicks in at 2.5 v)

Last edited:

NetKidz

Enlightened
I'll take 1 driver:
Set voltage: 13.0V, low volt: 11.0V

Please estimate the shipping to Taiwan for me.

:thanks:

EDIT:
with s/h of First Class Mail International to Taiwan

Last edited: