Luminus Devices/Phatlight SST-50

Tirodani

Newly Enlightened
There's been discussion of this new LED in both the SST-90 and CSM-360 threads, so it makes sense to me to consolidate discussion to a dedicated thread. It seems to me that this could be the next large size LED to be used for flashlights -- it is slightly larger and considerably more powerful than the current 4-die LEDs (MC-E and P7)

Here is the Luminus Devices product page for the SST-50.

A datasheet is not yet available, but it will be posted there. What do we know so far?

-Probably about 2.2x2.2mm (5 square mm) single die
-100 l/w at 5.5w (6500k)
-Rated up to 5A (likely in the 15-20w neighborhood) and >1250 lumens
-"Volume shipments starting in July"

We don't yet know about exact Vf, so we can only speculate as to whether, for example, it will direct drive off a single Li-Ion to an ideal voltage. Anyone know if a 5A driver will be easy to come by?

LEDite

Enlightened
Tirodani;

From Avnet's site, the price is listed @ $19.

That should make it competitive.

They also show 4000° K models with a longer lead time.

LEDite

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
It shows 600 lumen max at 1.75A that would be about 1200 lumen at 3.6A interesting! and no black hole in the middle like the P7! Nice

AlexGT

Tirodani

Newly Enlightened
Data sheet is up.

EDIT:

Vf at max current is 3.6v, so direct drive should be easy (with a monster heatsink).

This is one of the reasons I think the SST-50 seems more promising than the 90 for practical handheld use -- it's going to be hard enough to heatsink at 5A, 9A seems impossible in a normal size light.

EDIT:

Avnet shows projections for 4000k and 3000k SST-50.

Last edited:

KillingTime

Newly Enlightened
Just in case you were wondering about size and focus...

SST501.jpg

SST50.jpg

I'm waiting for the Cree XR-E stars to arrive from our Chinese friends, and the beamshots will begin.

I tested the + and - contacts on the dome side of the emitter, they're electrically connected to the tracks on the underside. So, I guess it might be possible to sand the tracks down on the underside and power up from the front (similar to current XR-E emitter only setups).

To be fair, the thermal contact pad is so large on these, you could machine a raised (copper) pedestal to allow clearance for connecting wires on the underside. The thermal pad does appear to be electrically isolated from the + and - strips.

romteb

Enlightened
Thanks for the pictures, can't wait for the beamshots

Do yo know the flux bin of your SST-50 ?

If you read the Data sheet, of the 4 flux bin for each color temp, the lower is actually very close to half the lumens of the higher.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The apparent die size between the SST and MCE look about the same, this is good news! Can't wait to see the beamshots.

Where did you get the SST-50? Was it from Photonfanatic? What bin and tint is it?

AlexGT

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was reading through the Tech notes regarding the SST-50, and one thing that stood out was the rather low CRI for neutral white; 70.

I believe the Crees in the same CCT range are higher.

This might be splitting hairs and PDF semantics before the ink is dry, but that's not very impressive. It typically results in a very efficient emitter because of the more concentrated spectral range, but light quality suffers. I'm just noticing a trend in the flashlight forums tending towards better CRI values rather than bright but ugly light quality. It will really take side by side beam shots to really tell though.

KillingTime

Newly Enlightened
IMG_0832.jpg

Received these from work for a project on the go at the moment

Flux bin is the highest available (500 - 600 lm @ 1.75A, or 1200 lm @ 5A) 6500K 70CRI.

I'd be interested to find out how far these can be overdriven..I see people driving MC-E's at 4A. I imagine it has a lot to do with heatsinking.

Thinking about a driver options now.

:)

LuxFAN

Newly Enlightened
I have been following these forums for a while but never registered. Did not have anything to say really.
These new devices are very interesting. KillingTime - can you tell us where you got these from? So far I am getting the cold shoulder from Avnet.

KillingTime

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure the company I work for gets them from AVNET, but we do a lot of business with them, and they're happy to let us have samples after a product is released.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi killing time, If you have several, would you be interested in parting out with one? Let me know here or via PM, Thanks!

AlexGT

ARC mania

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just acquired both emitters and stars from a WJ in brightness bin. Ordered 100pcs of each and this is just the tip of the iceberge. Maybe I should become a dealer or crank out something.......

ARC mania

k68sp.jpg

2160c9.jpg

mcddau.jpg

Last edited: