Near dust storm conditions today in Nebraska

bwcaw

Enlightened
The wind is blowing 40-50 mph, and the freshly plowed feilds are getting up and heading over to Iowa. The air is tinged with dirt, you can't see three miles in it. I can hardly wait for it to get dark! Green laser, here I come!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The only thing better is a good fog, but those are rare around here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
I drove from Iowa City to Brush, CO today... 671 miles... all the way across Nebraska on I-80. Yep... it was windy alright! But I loved it! I called my husband and told him that I want to move to Nebraska. I'm serious!! I fell in love with your state, bw... especially the area between Omaha and Lincoln. It's so incredibly beautiful! And the speed limit is 75!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif And the temperature was in the upper 80's. PERFECT!! Yep... I'm moving to Nebraska... some day... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sasha, being an Arizona girl, say that again in January. Yes, ever here in New England overall the weather generally is pretty good right now. For most of the US, it is the time of year between not too bad and really hot.

Speaking of Arizona, I first hand saw some dust storms last time I was there last year on the way from Parker to Phoenix. It reminded me very much of a snowstorm with at times near zero visibility. We had to slow down to a crawl a couple of times on the Interstate.

Greta

Flashaholic
geep... I just spent 4 days in New England over Memorial Day. It rained every day... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I LOVED it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

I miss the four seasons... I miss the snow. I am not a desert rat and I never will be. I LIKE the cold! Nebraska seems to be a wonderful compromise for my husband and I. And it's still more than a day's drive from my parents... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where were you in New England? I grew up in Vermont but now of course reside in MA. MA is a bit more balanced on the seasons. Vermont is considered three seasons winter and one season hard sledding. Actually I think Vermont is a great place during summer. 70s and 80s during the day and just a few sticky nights that you can't get by with a fan in the window. Yes it did rain but have been in the 70s the past couple of days.

Have you ever had native New England maple syrup?

Greta

Flashaholic
I was in Canaan, NY... just over the mountain from Pittsfield, MA. And yes... I was raised on REAL Vermont maple syrup...
yum.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I remember you had asked if I had been to a bar in Pittsfield MA. I have only been to western MA on a few occasions and it is really pretty, so much the opposite from eastern MA. I used to help a neighbor gather sap as a kid. He did it the old fashioned way with all buckets and no pipeline. Got to drink the syrup still hot, straight off the tap. Currently got my quart of Grade A amber as I prefer it to fancy which is what sold to the tourists.

Did you grow up there? I could easily live in AZ between Jan and April or who knows maybe I would miss the snow and cold.

dtsoll

Enlightened
Sasha,
Nebraska is a very beautiful place to live. I enjoy it year around. If you don't like flat land you can drive a relatively short distance to hills. People here are friendly and always eager to help out. I have been to many other states to visit and am always glad to get home. Hot, humid summers to cold snowy winters, we've got it all. Hope to meet you in Nebraska Sasha! dtsoll /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bwcaw

Enlightened
What Dtsoll said. I love it in Nebraska! I don't particularly like the hot humid summer months, but for the most part I can't think of anywhere I would rather live. Minnesota is nice, but the people seem to be rather hostile to "outsiders". At least that is my experience. And Sasha, I think you drove through Nebraska at the most beautiful time of year (except for just after a good blizzard) because the corn is only about three inches tall, and the feilds look like huge lawns from the road! BTW how was it in Brush CO.? We have some friends who live there.

I live about two miles from a rather extensive line of hills (we are right in the Missouri river valley) and sometimes when the clouds are really low it looks like you are in the mountains because the hill tops are shrouded in cloud. It is also quite fun to go hiking in those hills at night! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
You two don't need to convince me!... although it is good to hear good things from those who actually live there. For instance... if anyone asked me about living in Lake Havasu City, AZ, I'd have to advise them to seek therapy. Arizona is beautiful in some areas and even has 4 seasons in those areas. But it is desert. I don't like the desert.

One of these days, when I stop moving, I'm going to figure out how many states I've been in over the past 12 days. Right now I can say without any question or reservation that Nebraska impressed me the most. What are the gun laws? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW... I'm in Cedar City, Utah tonight. Only 315 miles from home. I'll be sleeping in my own bed surrounded by bulldogs tomorrow night... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
This famous Depression-era photo always reminded me of the "Dustbowl" of the 30's

depression.jpg

Brightnorm

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
sasha: if you like rain you might want to try visiting singapore at the end of the year or start of the year; it tends to rain everyday and very heavily due to the monsoon season /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
Where I live now, our annual rainfall is 3.4 inches. Yes, I like rain... but not living in a rainforest... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif I do believe that there are happy mediums out there. I could be wrong... but it looks like Northwest Nebraska might be it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

bwcaw

Enlightened
Not sure about gun laws. I think they have a "shall issue" ccw permit type thing here. Never carry in public though, so I don't know. Almost everybody has some weapons out here though, you would be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't have the ubiquitous 10/22, and remington 870.