House Key Ankle Holster?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure if such a thing exists, but I am certain something exists which will function in the way I desire. It is simply a matter of finding it!

Frequently, I go for walks at night, and carrying a ring of keys is not ideal. I am looking to make a copy of my house key, and carry it in a velcro holster around my ankle. Ideally, the holster pouch would be just large enough to accomodate one house key, to cut down on weight and bulk. It would affix around an ankle using velcro straps. The pouch would have to have some sort of padding/reinforcement so the key edges do not cut through it.

Does anyone know of something like this?

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do your jeans not have a small key pocket, most of mine have.

Sounds like a quick sewing job for the wifey, elastic and velcro, small pouch.

Or even just tuck it into your sock(s)

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're gonna carry just one key, why don't you hang it around your neck in a chain?

I would like something that won't jingle/jump all about. Something fastened securely to my ankle will put it out of the way. Sometimes I go on hikes at night (with a Q3 5A, of course!), and I would rather have something that is not loose.

Do your jeans not have a small key pocket, most of mine have.

Sounds like a quick sewing job for the wifey, elastic and velcro, small pouch.

Or even just tuck it into your sock(s)

I would like something that does not require pockets. Sometimes my shorts/pants have none. :( If I cannot find something commerically available for not too much money, then you are right, homebrew may be the way to go...

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, cool; thank you. There are some definite possibilities there. However, what I had in mind was something much smaller than those "shoe-type wallets," something large enough to carry just one key. If I can't find something that small, homebrew may be better. This is definitely the right track, though.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never used an ankle wallet but I wore leg wallets made of spandex for many years. They are secure, comfortable and handy just above the calf.

I'd still wear one but I live in the subtropics and rarely wear long pants anymore...

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just thread the key onto my shoe lace.

+1 Been doing this for years... never really found anything better. However, there are those days when you just don't feel like bending down to untie a shoe just to get the *!#% key. The older I get the more I like neck carry since the alternative sometimes involves screaming at the wife to open the door.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a ton of great suggestions here. I am leaning toward the minimalist and the cheap. Threading the key onto the shoe lace is free and easy, but I'd rather not have to untie to get at it. The ZiPod looks really cool, but appears larger than I would like, and the price is kind of a turn-off. The paracord+buckle looks really cool!

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking DX sku.627 would be a good start -- I've used it as an armband and two of them as a headband before, and they're as comfortable as such things get.

You could use just the band itself, sticking the key inside the loop where the strap attaches to the buckle, although that leaves the head of the key sticking up -- easy to grab, but also easy to lose. It seems secure enough, but I wouldn't trust it.

I think I'd either add a string as backup and try it for a while (to make sure the key doesn't fall out walking), or combine this with abvidled's idea -- make an overlap, stitch it down, and sew one side of that loop on a taper so that the keyhead fits mostly down in, but can't go through....

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, last night was not fun, and truth be told, entirely my fault. Frequently, I mull over things a long time before purchasing, and I paid for my hesitation last night. Instead of purchasing one of the suggested items in this thread, when I go out and don't take the car (which is my preference), I have been going key-less.

I was at a friend's house, and rode home on my bike. I will embarass myself by mentioning that I was not using my Lockblocks last night, which was/is a whole other issue (and the main reason I am hunting for a PLI MC-E!). :eek: I *did* have a rear blinky so cars could see me from behind. When I arrived home, I looked around to see if there were any lights on in the garage. No go; it was black as pitch. I checked by the deck, brand new with stairs, and peeked in the deck door. Dark there as well. I rang the doorbell twice, and no one came. Now, here I am, at my own house, and locked out because of my own stupidity and lack of planning.

I went to the shed and unlocked it, looking for the spare key. Unfortunately, someone else must have used it and not returned it, because the keys on the ring did not fit! Then, realizing that the opener in the car might open the garage, I went around to one of the cars. I did not know the combination for the keypad, but knowing most people make easy passwords, I tried one that I thought might work, and it did on the first try. I pulled out the opener, sure I would be in bed any minute. Fingers curled around the rectangular box, I squeezed the button, and-

Nothing. Someone had turned off the power to the garage door. Now, picture being outside your house with no way in. It is a very, very frustrating feeling!

Then, I realized there was a phone (a work phone, but a working phone no less) inside the vehicle I had previously unlocked. I unlocked the car, grabbed the phone, powered it up, called my house, woke up one of the occupants, and simultaneously entered the house while exiting one of the most embarrassing situations I've ever thrust myself into.

Lesson learned: tomorrow, I will cycle to town and take care of two things:

1) Pay my credit card bill.
2) Make two copies of my house key.

a) the first will get permanently attached to a necklace which holds my quick-release key and bike lock key.
b) the second will get attached to one of the straps/contraptions in this thread.

I feel like such an idiot.

StuToffee

Newly Enlightened
How about cutting/grinding a spare key down to the bare minimum, put a small split ring on it with a lobster-type clip & then fasten it to your shoelace or a belt loop. ONE key wont "jangle" around noticeably.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's an awesome idea. Which part do you cut/grind off?
j5azhh.png